starting a clear installation

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

kalohr
Italy

starting a clear installation

Post by kalohr » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:32 am

hello guys,

I am new to modifying D2 (but not at all new in IT)

I read about the cmd switches that allow the game to read data from the data directory instead of the mpq files

read all about MPQs, txt files, etc so I decompressed the games's archives in the data directory and started making very simple changes in the text files

such as changing the name of monsters. I simply renamed Fallen to FallenTest

I am changing the name in strings.tbl (or patchstrings.tbl)

but the the change is not loaded in the game

I am trying to do this step by step. I am installing D2, LOD, patch, plugy.

the change is successfully loaded in D2 and LOD, but when I install the patch or plugy it is not working

I think that there must be some detail to the task, that I am not aware of

any ideas ?

thanks !

kalohr
Italy

Re: starting a clear installation

Post by kalohr » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:24 am

I got it after a couple of hours

it seems that you must create a data/local/lng/eng path in the plugy directory (it may be different from the game's dir) and put the tbl files there

the problem is that if you put more files there the -direct -txt switch will crash the game

which tells me that there may be contradictions in the files/configs. I mean, I unpacked all the mpqs in the data directory thinking that I would run the game from the file system and that I would have access to all the files and possible config

but obviously it does not work that way and sometimes details are important

Return to “General Mod Making”