Diablo 2 does Not close completely

This forum is for discussions on how to edit what can not be edited through the txt files, needless to say this isn't about battle net hacking.

Moderators: Nefarius, Havvoric

csguak

Diablo 2 does Not close completely

Post by csguak » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Hello, I realized at one point, my diablo 2 application was not closing all the way, if I open and close it multiple times, I get this:

I am not sure where to begin the investigation, since I have no idea how long this problem has been going on.
My older modded back up versions seem to have the same issue.

Anyone ever experienced something like this? Did you ever track down your problem?

Thank you.

kidpaddle94
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Re: Diablo 2 does Not close completely

Post by kidpaddle94 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:03 am

I also have the same issue. Also when I launch D2, there's actually two instances of game.exe, but one of them doesn't appear in the task manager. I see it in Ollydbg's attach list but can't attach to it. Sometimes the second instance doesn't exit when I close the game and is left in limbo, I need to force shut it down via cmd. I feel like this is an OS issue, this has been happening with the recent Windows 10 update as far as I can tell.

Kieran
Senior Moderator
Angel
Great Britain

Hand-picked

Post by Kieran » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:31 am

kidpaddle94 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:03 am
I also have the same issue. Also when I launch D2, there's actually two instances of game.exe, but one of them doesn't appear in the task manager. I see it in Ollydbg's attach list but can't attach to it. Sometimes the second instance doesn't exit when I close the game and is left in limbo, I need to force shut it down via cmd. I feel like this is an OS issue, this has been happening with the recent Windows 10 update as far as I can tell.
Likewise buddy, I put it down to win10 update. A few other guys on my end reported the same

csguak

Post by csguak » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Hello, I rolled back the Windows 10 update that was done on JULY 30th, 2019.

I can confirm that the problem has now been resolved.

Thank you all. :)

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Its quite possible that this issues stems from some bad validation that D2 does on some windows internals (the critical sections it uses, and possibly other things; that code changed as of WinXp and Win7, so their validator is not longer correct). However it make be possible to see when its handling by attacking to D2, exiting, waiting a bit and then pausing and inspecting the call stacks of the threads that are still active.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Might be related to that pesky little windows dll, gameux.dll

This is the dll that monitors if you have a connection to the internet and won't let your game start if you're not connected or firewalled, cause it's checking versions for game compatibility issues.

How to remove the gameux dll's in Win7
https://superuser.com/questions/376691/ ... s-explorer

Simply delete (using Unlocker app, if needed) all the DLLs beginning with gameux from

the windows folders (system32, syswo64, and winsxs).

You'll no longer be annoyed by the game starting delay bug

Obs.1: Whenever you try to open the games explorer, a error message will come up

Obs.2: If you don't delete from winsxs, the SFC might restore the file

Obs.3: Deleting things from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX does not work
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Return to “Code Editing”