Balancing Issues Thread - for complaints and suggestions

Information and updates for the "Le Royaume des Ombres" mod by Xaphan. If you have any questions or suggestions for these mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Xaphan

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Balancing Issues Thread - for complaints and suggestions

Post by Firesnake » Sun May 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Hello everybody!

Since there are still a lot of balancing issues and the posts on them are all over the place I open this thread. Please post any balancing issues here and save the bug report thread for real bugs and try not to flood the forum with new threads because your fireball or cold arrow seem too weak. This will also help Xaphan to have all the balancing issues in one place without the threads dissapearing after a couple of days.

Thank you! :)

Edit by Xaphan : Sticky !

fumoffu

Re: Balancing Issues Thread - for complaints and suggestions

Post by fumoffu » Wed May 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Well, I have some thoughts about paladins. Now it feels not like paladin and more like something else...

Armor of Sanctity
First, 1 lvl of "armor of sanctity" makes character almost invincible. Monsters just do not hurt you, and you even do not need resistances, damage reductions and other funy stuff. I felt invincible on 1 lvl, and now I 28 lvl with 1 lvl skill and nothing changed. As i understand, it nullifies elemental damages too, onli poison is still danger.
So I sugges to hardly reduse skill power, also remove from it deffence bonus and put it in skill improvement - "holy heart", because now "holy heart" do not worth skill point investigation.

Thorn Aura + Elemental Thorns.
This is really best paladin-style skills, but... the more deffence you have the worst it works. Now it procks approximatelly every 6-9 monster atacks, so you just cant count on it in battle and for now this skills is just skillpoint-eater. It can prock when monster atacks you, not when he hits you?

Vitrue Strike and Chilling Victory
Best attaking skills in all mod. It carryes full weapon damage, elemental damage, has really BIG radius (even bigger then barbarian's "shockwawe"), you can't miss mob when using it. But... why paladin has best attaking skill in game? And this is not paladin's style - kill all monsters even before they can come near character. Something definetelly must be nerved - "100% weapon damage" and radius, i think.

Templar_

Post by Templar_ » Fri May 30, 2014 11:27 am

I think mods 'dmg reduced by' and 'magic dmg reduced by' in all items should be either reduced to something like 1/3 of their value or removed completely. They are off the chart now, popular and it only takes a few items to make yourself invincible.

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Might seems very weak right now. My ama gets around 15% enhanced total damage from 600+ points. (Strafer)

Venom, while having impressive numbers, seems to do hardly anything. It pushes my screen damage from 7k to 11k damage but I don't even see the poisoned monster's life bar moving.

Same goes for the poison merc, his spells look nice but I don't notice his damage at all. Only thing he seems to be good for is to prevent the monsters from regenerating.

//edit: Not sure if this is a balancing issue or just smart usage of mod mechanics. I made the following boots to start new characters:

+ 310 Life
+ 120 Mana
magic damage reduced by 105
damage reduced by 105
25 mana after each kill

gear level required: 2

It took me quite a while to get the two essences though. :mrgreen:

//edit2: Why is it so problematic to have stats like damage reduced by X?

Just a quick calculation for this. Let's say L is the life of the player, D is the damage of the monster and R is the absolute reduction. EH is the effective health of the player, which is the amount of damage the monster has to do before any reduction to kill the player. Then

and you see that when R approaches D, EH approaches infinity. This singularity in the formula means a huge impact of any flat damage reduction if the numbers reach anywhere near the incoming deamage. So even if you keep the stat as it is now and introduce high damage monsters instead which hit right through this reduction, it will just eliminate any normal damage throughout the game. So those values should really be lower.

Xaphan
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel
France

Post by Xaphan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:07 pm

The 'magic damage reduced by' and 'damage reduced by' properties as well as skills will be heavyly nerfed cause they are way too much OP as of now. This is something that will be done in 4.00.

Using reagents can allow you to make powerfull items like theses for early game. It's not an issue to me. Also, if you gamble with an high level character on a low level item, the low level item will get stats according to your level, without requiring a higher level. Again, this is not an issue. I more or less see this as an help so player can go a little faster when they reroll to a new character. All of this won't unbalance the game at max level anyway.

Templar_

Post by Templar_ » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:40 pm

some sorc QQ

Wanted to try timerless volcano sorc. Halfway act 2 i noticed that it's so mana hungry and IMO not that much better than other timerless skills so i ended up using projection of fire. Here's my experiment where i compare 2 different tier 1 specs. I compared 2 sorcs with same lvl, same equip, same skills and same stats. Sorc nr 1 had specialty that decreases timer and sorc nr 2 specialty that makes energy give you moar dmg. Sorc nr 2 had one more lvl of glass cannon spec, but that doesn't make that big of difference.
So here's a proof that the only viable specs are those that cause str / dex / ene give you moar dmg.

Sorc with timer spec

http://i61.tinypic.com/14u8g8i.jpg

Sorc with ene spec

http://i59.tinypic.com/qrc4qv.jpg

Here's why it's pointless to put your stat points into might. Sorc with ene spec after putting all points in might. Only 376 - 938 dmg increase after putting ALL of my stat points in might. With 0 int i'd have to drink potions non stop ^^

http://i58.tinypic.com/wjj4g9.jpg

IMO str / dex / ene tier 1 spec need to be deleted since str / dex already increase weap dmg and ene increases spell dmg of staffs / wands.

We are only lacking a way for assassins to boost her spell / traps [spell dmg to fist weapons or claw weapon class that boosts spells?] and javazon to boost her javelin skills [javelins have no affixes / preffixes that increase dmg of light / poison skills, and they mostly don't use weapon dmg at all. Spears also have such low melee dmg that someone must really be bored to try physical melee java]. From java skills afaik only static spear uses weapon dmg at all (thundering spear only on initial hit so it doesn't matter :) It's cool that java thrown skills are elemental based, but as for now we have no way to effectively increase its dmg.

Xaphan
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel
France

Post by Xaphan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:13 pm

The problem is str / dex / ene specs being too strong as of now. I've to nerf these to make them in line with other specs.

In your exemple, 334 might = 334 energy (without the added damage to spells). You have 764 energy, so it's obviously why the spec make it better.

I will probably reduce the specs to be smething like 10...50% of energy or even 5...25% instead of 20...100%.

broccoli

Post by broccoli » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:41 pm

I agree. Those specialties are by far the most poweful of them all. And they are tier 1.

There is something misleading in the description of other damage specialties, like glass cannon and the elemental specs about the "synergy effect" boost. How does this work? Both glass cannon and elemental specs give LESS damage boost than the tier 1 stat specs.

I would suggest keeping the stat specs, but moving them up the specialty tree. You could take the skill specialties (the enchantment boost, shout boost, etc.) and move them down. As I said above, the tier 1 stat specs are MORE powerful than the tier 5 (or so, can't remember) elemental damage specs, so they should be above the elemental specs.

About might, I guess the question is what levels it can reach by the endgame. If you have 10 stat points per level, that's ~750 might max. Primary stats can reach that level by act 2 normal. So I would actually suggest tuning down the primary stat bonus of masteries a bit.

darkdivine

Post by darkdivine » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Stats can reach well over 1k easily with the right equip. You will need the stats in higher difficulty. This is just the normal mode and not even end game yet.

Xaphan
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel
France

Post by Xaphan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:02 pm

End game items can also have 150+ to might (on green stats) each. You can easily get 1500+ might only with this.

darkdivine

Post by darkdivine » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Crafting question: does crafting level affects the outcome if the gear? For example, lvl 100 craft vs. a lvl 10 craft on a gear level 2. One would think at crafting lvl 100, one would be able to produce a low level gear with better stats/defense/damage compare to a lower lvl crafter. I think craft lvl is just only for crafting certain levels of gears right?

Galandor

Post by Galandor » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Assassin traps need a little help. Lightning trap doesnt have any synergy passive. Magic traps is not even in the same tree as traps. Fire traps and maybe others has a 1 sec delay before it starts casting. This is makes it extremely slow for such a fast pace game . Its mana cost is ridiculously high too. LV 6 fire trap cost 48 mana...this is unsustainable once you can place more than 1 traps and at higher levels

Traps are coded as a minion so life/mana per kill doesn't work on them. But +% minion damage doesn't affect them for some reason

Assassins could really use a decrease enemy elemental resistance hex like all other casters

Like templar wrote above, there needs to be a claw that gives energy bonus damage. Assassins are stuck with staves or wands as weapons and lose out on + skills that claws give
Last edited by Galandor on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Xaphan
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel
France

Post by Xaphan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:38 pm

darkdivine" wrote:Crafting question: does crafting level affects the outcome if the gear? For example, lvl 100 craft vs. a lvl 10 craft on a gear level 2. One would think at crafting lvl 100, one would be able to produce a low level gear with better stats/defense/damage compare to a lower lvl crafter. I think craft lvl is just only for crafting certain levels of gears right?
Yesn crafting level only influe on what you can craft, not the level of item crafted.

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:06 am

From what I can see now, it should easily be possible to reach -100% cooldown time using socketables (-7% each), that is with gems that can be crafted with a crafting levle of 90. I'm not a hundred percent sure that that will help to balance skills with cooldowns. :)

Templar_

Post by Templar_ » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:06 am

-cooldown from gear is capped at 50%

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:17 am

I should have known it wasn't that easy :)

But the reduction is still problematic. Frozen Orb starts at 3 seconds and by the time my sorc hit 30, it was down to 0.3 seconds, making it almost a normal cast. It still got blocked by teleport though, which somewhat rendered teleport an escape-only skill and eliminated any offensive capacity.

Also which works first, percentual or absolute reduction?

Templar_

Post by Templar_ » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Frozen orb starts at 2s. Xaphan said you can reach 0 timer if you have correc spec so i guess that %reduction works first and then absolute reduction. That's the only way for it to reach 0 timer

Xaphan
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel
France

Post by Xaphan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:53 pm

First the reduction from gear is appliedn up to 50% reduction, then the speciality reduction is added to the result.

Frozen orb start with 2 secs. With gear only you can down it to 1 second, and the speciality allows you reduce all skills CD by 1 second, wich mean Frozen orb can reach 0 second CD.

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Is there anything else with an effect on the CD? I didn't wear any cooldown reduction and it was still way below one second.

darkdivine

Post by darkdivine » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Yes, Frozen Orb can and probably will reach 0 second CD if you invest in specialty spell CD reduction. How? You will probably find gears/charms/others with +# to all skills which will also affect the specialty tree thus can potentially reduce ALL spells cool down to 0. +5 is the max you can invest in the specialty but +# to all skills will add more to it. This is a must for all sorcs to spam skills!

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:07 pm

If the specialties stay as they are I sincerely doubt that we will ever see gear with +1 to all skills. For my Strafer that is equivalent to increase my overall damage by around 25%, a skill shrine raises it by around 60%. So if they are ever introduced, they will clearly be a hot candidate for this thread :mrgreen:

Xaphan
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel
France

Post by Xaphan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:09 pm

There is no '+1 to all skills' properties and newer will be.

Galandor

Post by Galandor » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:48 pm

[!] [DONE] Using the /players command now only increase the droprate of weapons, armors and amulets

what about monster health/damage and crafting material drops?

darkdivine

Post by darkdivine » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:46 pm

lolz, that should be interesting. Everyone will start with /players 8 for better loots. The game is already way too easy as it is; the ability to set difficulty is needed for advance players.

Also, passive skills (specialties tree) cannot go beyond lvl 5?

Xaphan
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel
France

Post by Xaphan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Galandor" wrote:[!] [DONE] Using the /players command now only increase the droprate of weapons, armors and amulets

what about monster health/damage and crafting material drops?
Nothing changed on this. The only modifiction that I made is about drops. Monsters still get life / damage / experience increase when using this command. This change make the command not affecting drops except weapons, armors and amulets. This way players can rearange the difficulty.
darkdivine" wrote:Also, passive skills (specialties tree) cannot go beyond lvl 5?
Yes. Level 5 is max.

Return to “Le Royaume des Ombres”