TBC Alpha (Finally!)

This forum is for members of the public to post any announcements relating to Diablo 2 Mod Making including mod and patch releases amongst other similar subjects.
k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

TBC Alpha (Finally!)

Post by k0r3l1k » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 am

Hello fellow mod makers and mod player. I am back, and I bring tiding of joy and labor.

To Be Concluded has been concluded (at least partially). This is the Alpha 0.7.0 (with a small patch to improve certain functions / reduce latency between server and client).

There are still quite a few incomplete features due to my complete lack of time over the past 6 months. I haven't been able to do much but polish off the features already implemented, however I should be able to resume work on it (if I can find it in me to work on some of the more difficult features).

The current features include:

-Armor/defense rating effective while running.
-Maximum damage reduction cap raised (to either 90 or 95, cant remember).
-TOTALLY NEW MUSIC!
-Darker, creepier lighting.
-Monster resistances displayed. (nifty!)
-Completely new weapons from level 0-99.
-Drastically reduced damages across the board.
-More balanced player and enemy life/damage ratios.
-Rebalanced defense "evasion"/attack rating ratios.
-Added "Armor" to equipment which reduces physical damage taken.
-Renamed "damage reduced by X" to "Protection" and incorporated on many items/affixes.
-Renamed "magic damage reduced by X" to "Resilience" and incorporated on many items/affixes.
-Rebalanced/remade all affixes. (affixes now have rarity (affixes requiring the same level will vary, the better the stats the less often you'll see them)).
-Removed all Set/Unique items. (more to come eventually).
-Redesigned Rare item generation.
-All 7 character classes skills revamped. Removed 10 skills from each class (useless and mundane ones) and added Masteries!
-Masteries can add a unique or bonus effect to a skill once its base level has reached 20!
-Skills can only be increased every other level (meaning you can put points into a level 12 skill at levels 12,14,16,18 etc.)
-Added some hella-pretty UI {filtered}. Enjoy my friends.
-Some monsters are smarter (more to come in later features.)

Features yet to be added
-New levels/story (yeah, this one will take a while).
-New Uniques and Set items! (i'm hoping to do this gradually but quickly... we'll see).
-New Hireable abilities and more. (it all depends on what i can get to work, mercs are a pain in my a$$ to work with.)
-New event oriented boss fights! They will blow your mind! (i have a lot of ideas for this, but they all need a lot of testing to make work.)

Features to come as i have time, please don't expect too much.

Please Enjoy the mod, you can send any feedback/bugs/broken feature reports/etc,etc to me via private message, I will also open a thread in the general mod making forum for feedback.
Last edited by k0r3l1k on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 11 times in total.

weapon-x
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
Philippines

Re: TBC Alpha (Finally!)

Post by weapon-x » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:10 am

wooo....

:cool:

cool !!

i'll try this one out ASAP...

:P
" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "

~Mark Twain

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 pm

I am... speechless 8-O
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 am

My apologies, the files were somehow incomplete, causing several issues (although not immediately apparent they did alter the core balance and some features were completely missing).

I have updated the original post to reference complete files (the plus side is that i removed the need to patch via -direct -txt method, however this method will continue to be used for minor patches is the future.)

I recommend removing all the original files via uninstall method, and reinstalling with the new files.

Also, for anyone interested in connecting with other players, you can join my hamachi network.
Network : D2 Playground
no password required
Last edited by k0r3l1k on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andsimo
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Crusader
Christmas Island

Post by andsimo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 am

what is .z01 filetype?
mods observer

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:13 am

it will self extract when you unzip TBC alpha.zip. it is a partial file.

Wopsh

Post by Wopsh » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:34 am

Neither the windows extraction wizard (xp) nor 7zip nor peazip will open these! I will download the files again but I think there might be a problem with them.
[edit]Yup downloaded again and it wont extract.[/edit]

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:10 am

the files were packed with power archiver 2010, sorry if it is inconvenient, but you may have to download it. (it is free though. Unfortunately the mod exceeds the size for a single file on mediadire and i cant afford to buy an account cause im cheap :P

weapon-x
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
Philippines

Post by weapon-x » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 am

ow...

i downloaded your first upload...

probably the reason why, i felt something is missing... :lol:

i'll try downloading the second fileset this evening :)

by the way: one super cool ui :P
" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "

~Mark Twain

Lurix
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Bulgaria

Post by Lurix » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:51 am

Hmm..
This is the mod with one of the best graphical unit interface I've ever seen.
I really like it so much. I'd never think of making all the items the same size, and this is so damn genius!
Good job man ;]

andsimo
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Crusader
Christmas Island

Post by andsimo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:34 am

2 korelik:
Try to upload the mod as an one file at www.filefront.com
Its free, reg required only.
mods observer

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:04 pm

had no problems with mediafire, but filefront seems to be good. Downloaded it under minute 8-O

Btw - regarding your avatar, andsimo - is it broodwars inc?
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

andsimo
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Crusader
Christmas Island

Post by andsimo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:58 pm

2 mirecek: yes, it is :)
mods observer

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:53 pm

From what I could test, the mod looks good and the gameplay is fine. Although we had no really problems with bosses, I have died maybe two times due to carelessness.

What I can tell here, that many vanilla values we were used to are changed now, but in good way. (well-arranged experience, and many other) New customisation option is added to early gameplay (what I consider as really good thing to have) which does not loses its charm on later levels ;)

Not intended to spoil too much, grab the Alpha and try it out yourselves ;)

Wopsh

Post by Wopsh » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Nice work and congrats on making a release.
Feedback with Possible Spoiler:
[The Gheed gems are a nice way of character customization through items. They might need some nerfing because I had max resist in mid act I and these things are scaled to level.]

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:27 pm

I agree about the gems, honestly they have been quite a thorn in my side as far as balance goes. i will definately work on them a bit, however they are designed to require effort on the part of the player to balance. (you can have max resist early by sacrificing damage and speed/regen etc).

Though admittedly the game is way to easy at present, especially early-mid act 1. I plan to release an update (hopefully today) which should help considerably.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

TBC Update 0.7.3

Post by k0r3l1k » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 pm

MOAR UPD4T3Z!!!!
^^^link is here^^^
0.7.3 is ready with all the features i hoped to put in it including:

-There are now 10 healing and 10 mana potions! they heal static values instantly (like d1).
-Unlike d1, there will be no more "pot chugging" as each potion you drink gives you "indigestion" which reduces the effect of potions. Indigestion is cumulative and will gradually decrease at a set rate. potions will show how much they heal. (and its accurate)
-Purple pots now restore 100% over X. Regeneration potions restore 100% over 30 seconds, rejuvenation potions restore 100% over 10 seconds.
-All classes now receive the same amount of healing/mana from all potions, no more class-ism!
-Monster health increased approximately 20% across the board.
-Minor adjustments to sorceress and amazon skills. (damage and mana costs tuned)
-Some bugs fixed that allowed players to gain massive xp from unique/super uniques.
-Fixed some text file conflicts that may cause issues.
-Fixed a bug that prevented skeleton archer's arrows from triggering ctc spells and frozen armor bolts.
-Adjusted the monster and area levels to match more closely what the character will expectedly reach.
-Remade the monster placements in act 1 normal
-Experience gains slightly reduced from level 2 - 9.
-Experience gains slightly increased from levels 12 - 40
-Reduced the damage of staves, orbs and wands by 40%
-Added automagics to staves, orbs and wands that increase spell damage and mana regen.

Please Reply or PM with any bugs/feedback. All feedback is appreciated (unless you're just going to say my mod sucks)

Expectations for next patch:
Some uniques and maybe sets (I hope).
Intestinal fortitude implemented
More bug fixes
More balance changes
Probably some other cool stuff!

Thanks for playing and have fun.

EDIT:
it just occurred to me that the assassin is currently unplayable because i forgot to fix her experience entries before i uploaded :oops:

here is the fix, you'll have to run the mod with a -direct -txt shortcut if you plan to play as the assassin. (also i will probably upload a minor patch to fix a few issues, gonna try to iron them out more first)

goatsacrilege

Post by goatsacrilege » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:57 am

Holy Awesomeee

prowild

Post by prowild » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:11 pm

DUDE, your mod is amazing , can't wait for new stuff , the moment i started your mod i was like 8-O , never seen something this awesome in diablo , keep up the awesome work.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Well unfortunately i dont have a new patch :( but i have been working on the mod. It became necessary to replace all the old armors, so you get new armor! yay! I'm also working on the "loot" system, monsters probably wont be dropping equipment anymore since i plan to implement a detailed crafting system. Most likely how it will work is mobs dropping materials (think metal, wood, cloth, etc) and the player crafting those things into weapons and armor.

So far i haven't really come up with an easy way to do this, i dont want to process to be too extensive, after all diablo is an action rpg and you want action, not to spend hours in town crafting stuff.

Also rare items will be able to be crafted by either obtaining rare materials or obtaining a LOT of common materials. I also plan to make bosses drop some unique crafting materials that are required for some of the better crafts, meaning you have to essentially farm the bosses. Though i plan to improve boss fights to be challenging and much more interactive (less standing there wacking 3284567384756304534 hp off the boss).

These are just a few ideas and things i am working on. It started when i realized that i just really didnt want players to have a 0.0001% chance to find a unique when killing things, and in the case a unique does drop you still only have a 0.001% chance to find something that is useful to your character. With an extensive crafting system any player will be able to make whatever items they need with enough effort. (also there will be more items that require super super super super rare materials, but are basically the best items possible and make you totally overpowered ;) )

nightshade00123
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by nightshade00123 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 pm

I had something similar in my mod while I was still at it and I can tell you it is very difficult to implement but well worth the effort and gives players incredible freedom to create their own weapons/armors/jewelries.

Like you said keep it simple think in terms of loot that gradually gets better as you progress to create and improve your items. For instance in bloodmore have the enemies drop low quality woods/metals/fabrics etc. Then in act 2 or 3 or whatever you choose improve that quality to normal and so on and so on. Include the usage of gems, other loots, and maybe runes in these recipes or something for added effects if you want.

Then in latter difficulties introduce a new set of loots that increase/ supplement already established recipes, for even higher qualities. This eases the burden of having too make tons more items and recipes.

Like introduce wood oils/metal finishers/fabric decals and other types of things to include in existing recipes. This way you don't have to make more items with more descriptions and so on and it will make cube recipes alot more easy to manage. Like adding a wood oil to an existing bow recipe would strengthen it by XX% or change its quality all together you get the idea. This method is fast and works well.

But one thing I will tell you that brought me many troubles was coming up with a method, I wanted mine in game, to display or tell players of these recipes, because their will be hundreds if not thousands of them. And that is a heck of a lot info to include so players understand the purpose of these materials. I never got around to finishing mine, it was way to massive. I had something like an extra several thousand treasureclass text lines and thousands of new items......way to much. So in short if you want players to be able to utilize them easily keep it simple, don't do what I did and offer a trillion different recipes, because in the end it will overwhelm if it's too much.

But after it's all done you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome, it really adds a shine to the game, because customizing is top priority in these types of games.

As soon as I can figure out how to get my diablo working again, I think it's permanently fried on my PC, I plan on trying your mod, it looks very unique especially number wise, and I haven't played many other mods so it should be a good experience.

But any how nice ideas and have fun. :)

Kardon
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Kardon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:17 pm

If you're having issues hosting your mod files, shoot me a PM. I host a few mods for people.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:35 am

Well i've been hard at work implimenting new features, the crafting is coming along nicely (though for now there are only placehold items for most set/unique+ sorry) I hope to spend the entire next patch, after the build i am working on- working on items.

I've also added a new font and some new colors to go with the new item qualities.
Simple
Common
Uncommon
Superior
Elegant
Exceptional
Exquisite
Elite
Epic

and here are some SS of the new font

edit: i just fixed the apostrophe, and looked into the frost nova damage reading "1.9 - 1.33" it is a weird display error, i blame bliz. the arithmetic yields 1.09 - 1.33, meaning the display just cuts off the 0 for some reason. whatever it does the proper damage and increasing/decreasing the damage yields the correct values 0.95 - 1.25 and 1.60 - 2.14.

andsimo
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Crusader
Christmas Island

Post by andsimo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:33 pm

I dont like a new fonts :(
mods observer

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:24 am

sorry to hear that. I personally think it looks very good. I did go ahead and replace the numbers 0-9, they looked a little off. The font and coloring is completely finished so now its back to some of the other stuff i've been working on.

btw: does any one else thing the new font looks bad? If a lot of people hate it i can maybe come up with some other fonts that look better, but i am really reluctant to use the default font, its just so stale.

Return to “Member Аnnouncements”