Please make the mod hard ;P

Information and teasers from the upcoming mod, Cabal Wars - Aeons Tide. NOTICE: This project has been scrapped in lieu of the Shadow Empires mod.
Ciderax

Please make the mod hard ;P

Post by Ciderax » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:34 am

The mod looks kick ass! I just hope it isn't cake.
I got bored of many many mods because they were way too easy, in some mods I ask my self *Are these monsters even hurting me*

Can you play this Mod on Closed PvPGN servers? I really hope you do, I also turned down a lot of mods because they couldn't be hosted on PvPGN servers."

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Aa

Post by Joel » Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:01 pm

[quote=Ciderax";p="109670"]The mod looks kick ass! I just hope it isn't cake.
I got bored of many many mods because they were way too easy, in some mods I ask my self *Are these monsters even hurting me*
[/quote]

Well, currently, the difficulty is likzely to be the same as classic Diablo 1 ....
A sibgle monster is easy to fight and defeat ... but a pack of 5 or mroe is a true challenge. Ranged attackers and spellc asters monsters are even worse (think D1 succubi).

[quote=Ciderax";p="109670"]
Can you play this Mod on Closed PvPGN servers? I really hope you do, I also turned down a lot of mods because they couldn't be hosted on PvPGN servers."[/quote]

Unfortunately not. The amount of code editing I've made make this impossible.
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

Ciderax

Re: Please make the mod hard ;P

Post by Ciderax » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:33 am

well, maybe there is some way that we can edit the dlls? *Although it may remove gameplay* I'm just not fond of single player nor Open Battle.net ;/
Last edited by Ciderax on Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:57 am

CW-AT is headed toward solo gameplay and/or TCp/IP game.
A pack of 3-4 players with good balanced skill set and subcabal have greater chance to defeat Hezron and its dark legion.

However, maybe with 1.10 the realm server will be fixed but I highly doubt of that.

brotherhobbes
Champion of the Light

Re: Aa

Post by brotherhobbes » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:28 pm

[quote=Joel";p="109745"]Unfortunately not. The amount of code editing I've made make this impossible.[/quote]

if you don't mind, joel, could you be a bit more specific about this? i am not that familiar with these things and was really looking forward to playing CW:AT on a server. what exactly has changed that makes this unhostable?

i guess i'll have to get people to come over so we can play some on a LAN, then.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:38 pm

Basically, my 15 act system make CWAT unplayable on ONE server cause it need to have simultenaously the 3 txt image in memory.

For a further discussion, there is a topic in the Code Editing forum called "15 at system continue" that explain it all.

edit : typos.
Last edited by Joel on Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olorin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Olorin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:31 pm

Joel, how would the 15 Act system be palyable on TCP/IP if not on server. I really don;t know much about this, but would it be because in solo (and tcp/ip) the solo player/host has their pc doing all the appropriate difficulty settings changes, whereas on a server it's out of their control and so can't be done by one server? Blah, don't know if that made sense to anyone.

(Thinks D1 succubi...remembers saving with first char (a warr) with 1 hp and no tp scrolls left, unaware that a succubi was right behind me...ah, memories of about an hour spread over time of dodging her evil spell...I dodged it eventually thoug, and came back for vengeacne...once I'd walked about 15 levels up to town. :mrgreen: )
"For I am Olorin! And Olorin means me!"
"For I also am a steward. Did /you not know?"

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:36 am

The 15 act system works in solo AND TCP/IP due to the way the game is loaded here.

The problem arise with game server. Basically, it should be able to load the THREE difficulty file stes at once to be ready to have people fighting in the 3 chapter at once.

Unfortunately the game isn't prepared for that :(

The sole way to do so will be to have a Chapter 1 dedicate dserver, a Chapter 2 server etc ... and keeping the char file on a common server that will be shared by those :mad: :rage:

So TCP/IP or Solo for now sorry.

Olorin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Olorin » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:34 pm

Don't apolgoise! I f it can't be helped, you're doing enough as it is. :) I was just curiosu. ;)

Chiffa

Post by Chiffa » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:59 am

Solo goes fine for me - I nave no I-net at home, it costs way too much... :cry: :cry:
Musst conssume, or oblivion will take uss...

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:09 am

I'm lucky. I get my internet for free! The catch --- it's dial-up. :(
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Olorin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Olorin » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:54 am

The catch?

We pay for dial up. :(

brotherhobbes
Champion of the Light

Post by brotherhobbes » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:07 am

just find a friend with a fast connection to download it for you. have them burn it or bring yer hard drive over.

GhOsT(eth)
Champion of the Light

Post by GhOsT(eth) » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:01 pm

Joel,

It might be possible to get a PVPGN server up for CWAT but I would have to do someworking with it. Let me know if you want me to try.
~~Closed Server Preeminence~~
Code of the Ostrich - I can't see you, therefore you can't see me.
Code of the GhOsT - You can't see me, therefore I can't see you.

Emperor d3st

Post by Emperor d3st » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:33 pm

Hehe, Cabal Wars on the PVPGN realms? That would be AWESOME!
"Duty is everything: the greatest of joys, the deepest of sorrows..."
- Aribeth de Tylmarande

Tyd
Paladin

Post by Tyd » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:41 pm

a mod that is to hard is no fun too, keep that in mind. i played a version of the bg mod with a caster and a fighter char, both weren't fun cause it was increadible hard :/. that sucked. they way to go is the golden middle :D

ArCh4Ng3
Champion of the Light

Post by ArCh4Ng3 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:47 am

theres still a solution if u cant make a pvpgn server, open a community on irc, with a bot containing a list of tcp/ip games, it worked when the beta of d2 was just out...200 games at a time, so if u need my bot, just tell me, ill remake it ;)
An atheist knows that we should build hospitals instead of churchs.

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:34 am

*agrees with Tyd* Being to hard can be frustrating and ruin the game. I preffer a game with challange but if I had to choose between to hard or to easy it would be easy in a heartbeat.

Speaking of difficulty one thing id beg you to do is make it hard but not time consuming.

Most mods try and make the game harder by upping enemy life/def/resist and certain other things but it seems 9 out of 10 times they are just as easy or easier then Vanilla D2. Enemies dont hit hard enough to be a huge threat....but neither does your charcter. So instead of running into a pack of enemies and dying like you should instead you have to just sit and hack away at them for 15 mins to move on.

I always thought the fun of D2 in its earlier modes and especailly D1 was the item hunting and charcter building. You could beat the game fairly fast(including nightmare/hell mode)but was that the end of the game? Hell no you still had 100s if not 1,000s of hours left of slaying the same enemies and hunting for that +20 to all stat item or uber unique.

Nowdays it seems most of the mods are about getting through the game. And just building during the process. Far to many mods take you days to acomplish the most simple tasks and the progress is just mind numbingly slow and defeats what I personally always thought Diablo was about.
Last edited by MSI Magus on Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkSlash

Post by DarkSlash » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:56 am

I've just started playin the nezeramontias mod....it's actually really good with the monsters being difficult and able to kill you...but if your awakethen you should do ok....i find it to actually be the best mod i've played so far(altho i haven't played verymany ;) )but i'd like to see that kind of balance...there's also a lot more monsters, as well as them being more difficult.

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:31 am

Nez was cool but I found its balance to be messed up. Early on at some parts it was alright but many it was to hard(especially places where there were lots of enemies doing elemental Damage like Travincal)but later in the game it just becomes so insanly easy since you can have multiple Gheed Charms.

DarkSlash

Post by DarkSlash » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:20 am

ahh...ok...see i've really just started...in act 2 right now...but i have to agree about the main topic...cake is better than Xtra Difficult, but the happy medium is the best way to fly ;)

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:23 am

do you guy atcually realize that you are in the CABAL WARS forum ?
not the Nez forum ??? hmm ??

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:08 am

....the posts may have mentioned Nez but they were still about Cabal Wars.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:14 pm

[quote=DarkSlash";p="148926"]ahh...ok...see i've really just started...in act 2 right now...but i have to agree about the main topic...cake is better than Xtra Difficult, but the happy medium is the best way to fly ;)[/quote]

oh this one too ???

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:03 am

He gave an example of what difficulty lvl he would like Cabal to be(nez), I responded my thoughts on it which yes were about nez but they were also meaning that I wouldnt want Cabal to be like that. He then responded as you showed which is once again about Nez but at the same time still relates to the subject at hand which is about Cabal.

Just the way forums often work. Just like real conversation too. Even if it wasnt about Cabal thats kinda the way things work on forums :P .

Anyways if you felt it was off topic my apoligies but it really was meant to be on topic.

Return to “Cabal Wars - Aeons Tide”