Making EftA work on the Mac

Information and updates for the EftA mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: erevos, mouse

Incompetent
Forum Regular
Angel

Making EftA work on the Mac

Post by Incompetent » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:58 am

I downloaded EftA some time ago as it looked like a good mod, and found that unlike many newer mods, it's in MPQ form, so does work on the Mac. It seems to play mostly without any problems, but there's one critical snag: the skill point system.

As I understand it, the idea is that in EftA, skills generally cost 2 points per level (except the first two levels). Players receive 2 skill points every level-up, and quest rewards are doubled. Guess which bits don't work on the Mac version. :roll:

The upshot is that Mac players effectively can only get half as many skills as PC players - they get only 1 point per level but still have to pay the full 2-point cost for investing in skills. This kind of spoils the mod for me. I like mods to be challenging, but I'm not a masochist!

It ought to be very easy for the original modder to release a version where the 2-point skill costs were reduced to 1 point, making it playable on the Mac. If he could do that, great. But I realise EftA is an old, dead mod and I don't know if mouse even checks the forums any more. So if mouse doesn't reply to this, I'm hoping someone can tell me how I could change my own copy of EftA to make it playable.

Can anyone help here? EftA looks like a really fun mod, and it's a shame that it fails on the Mac for such trivial reasons.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Re: Making EftA work on the Mac

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:15 am

There are more code changes than just the number of skill points per level. Mouse (who as you noted hasn't been here for quite a while) provided four dlls, the skill points happen in only one of those. D2Win is my new titles plugin, in which he has his own ranks, but I cannot speak for what changed in the others.
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Return to “Escape From The Afterlife”