multiple games open simultaneously

This forum is dedicated to platform-specific issues, discussions and tools relating to D2 modding for the Mac.

Moderator: Contrail

moo-cow

multiple games open simultaneously

Post by moo-cow » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:40 pm

In the past I've used a windows machine to play D2 and using a modified file was able to open multiple copies of diablo2 at once and MP with myself if I wanted. I was wondering if there was a similarly easy way to do so on a mac, everything just seems so much different now that I've made the switch.

Nameless
Forum Legend
Power

Re: multiple games open simultaneously

Post by Nameless » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:50 am

I don't know enough about the Mac to give you specifics, but I have heard that you can use the "fast user switching" feature of OSX to log in twice with different users and have an instance of D2 run for each user.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:15 am

The multiple-game tweak in Windows D2 is a one-byte edit. The hard part of tweaking the Mac version would be finding that byte.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:20 am

The PC version shows a message box saying "only one copy of D2 may run at a time", the string is probably the same on the MAC version too, so whoever finds the string will also find the jump that needs to be patched.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

power666

Post by power666 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Actually Diablo 2 does not need any sort of modding or hacks for a user to run multiple instances of it on one machine. Using the Terminal in OS X, a person can launch multiple instances with the following command:

Code: Select all

open -n /Applications/Diablo\ II\ Folder/Diablo\ II\ \(Carbon\) 
This of course assumes that Diablo II is installed into the Applications folder and is named "Diablo II Carbon".

The only catch is that you cannot having two instances of Diablo II using the same character. There is an autosave feature so I wouldn't want two applications writing to the same file. It'd be an easy way to create a corrupted save and/or crash the game.[/code]

blargus

Post by blargus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:07 am

you don't need to use fast user switching or the terminal. just duplicate the diablo II carbon application. then you can open the copied one while the first one is already running. you can use this to transfer items on a local (127.0.0.1) tcp ip game.

Return to “Mac Modding”