Bug or texting error?

This forum is dedicated to platform-specific issues, discussions and tools relating to D2 modding for the Mac.

Moderator: Contrail

The Gnasher

Bug or texting error?

Post by The Gnasher » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:03 am

Okay, first of all, I have no idea if someone still reads the Mac Modding forum.

Second of all, merry christmas to everyone. =)

Third, I was just wondering what the hell. I use a G3 PowerPC Mac (OS X.3.9) with patch 1.11b and MPQ Tool for 1.11.

Thing is, I did a simple little modification to the charstats.txt file. The famous 'players start with the cube' thing. Add the box entry to starting items, itemcount = 1 okay. Convert to .bin, convert the .bin, every single step done correctly, .bin file insrted in Patch. So far everything seems good.

Start the game, no crashes. Characters do start with the cube. But they also do start with an unexplainable Attack Rating of 3650000+ ("Average chance to hit Fallen: 5%"). What the hell?!

My only guess is that MPQ Tool is set for 1.11 and 1.11b doesn't behave properly. That too is perhaps the only thing that explains why none of my new cube recipes work (did EVERYTHING correctly!).

Anyone can please help me?

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:58 am

Perhaps the .txt editor you used corrupted the file? This is the only thing I can think of. You might want to read this tutorial, it explains the basics of Mac modding.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

The Gnasher

Re: Bug or texting error?

Post by The Gnasher » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:07 pm

Yes, perhaps...
I'll have a deeper look into that tutorial now. Only one that bothers me, I read it quickly and it seems to me there's no apparent reason to work on Classic... or is there?

Sir Xavius
Paladin
United States of America

Post by Sir Xavius » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:18 pm

Classic Mac users like myself can us ResEdit to check out file formats and the hex data of actual files; i don't think that capability exists for OSX users (unless someone came up with updates to either ResEdit or HexEdit).
After looking at Souricette's code and the few resources inside the Classic version, it seems that MPQTool 1.011a has not been updated to take into account any changes in D2 version 1.11. I bet if there are any changes to Diablo's .dlls (which are present in the Mac data files, just not used) or if any .dlls are ADDED, MPQTool will not work properly. When i checked out the resources, there was a listing of D2's .dll files, and i thought perhaps MPQTool filters these out of the list before extracting or building the list of other files. If an additional .dll has not been taken out before inserting your modifications, then when the .mpq is rebuilt the additional .dll throws off nearly EVERYTHING. However, all of this is an educated guess.
The new D2 patch may also be restructured so that applying the .bin-generation fix may be applying data to the wrong place, but again, this is only a guess.

MY advice? Do what so many other D2 players are doing and go back to the 1.10 patch. Life will be so much easier. If there are changes in the soft codes of 1.11 that you really want to keep, go thru the .txt files and make the changes in the 1.10 files manually wherever possible.
Last edited by Sir Xavius on Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Gnasher

Post by The Gnasher » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:36 pm

It makes sense... Since I have no coding capabilities, only thing left to do is go back to 1.10. Ah, what the hell. Changes to 1.11 are insignificant for single players like me. Or almost. Anyway, if things work with 1.10, that's where I'm heading.

Thank you ^^

Sir Xavius
Paladin
United States of America

Post by Sir Xavius » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:18 pm

Believe me, the trade-off is worth it! You're not missing much, and you'd be giving up a lot of game stability (for modding).

Hang in there and stay in touch! :D

Return to “Mac Modding”