Mac Modding Tools

This forum is dedicated to platform-specific issues, discussions and tools relating to D2 modding for the Mac.

Moderator: Contrail

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Mac Modding Tools

Post by Joel » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:01 pm

This topic will be a list of both wish and existing moddign tools for Mac.
Please MAC modders, step in and tell me what you REALLY need as tools so I can make the port of the one I can adapt :)
Last edited by Joel on Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

pmpch
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: Mac Modding Tools

Post by pmpch » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:15 am

[quote=Joel";p="130232"]This topic will be a list of both wish and existing moddign tools for Mac.
Please mad modders, step in and tell me what you REALLY need as tools so I can make the port of the one I can adapt :)[/quote]

I completly agree with you Joel, only 'mad' people would mod for mac. They really are 'mad modders'!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bedevere: Well, now, uh, Launcelot, Galahad, and I, uh, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the RABBIT, taking the French, uh, by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!
King Arthur: Who leaps out?

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:44 am

^^ ok i get caught :D
typo fixed :P

Souricette
Retired staff
Paladin

Hand-picked

Post by Souricette » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:13 pm

Well, a non-buggy mpq tool would be a real "plus"! The more I dig, the more I find bugs in my MPQ Tool... :(

But the difficulty to know which tools are missing is that we don't really know the available tools on Windows side, nor what we could really do with these tools. So, I guess only modders coming from the Windows side would feel a lack of tools!

I wish I had more time these days, I would really like to work with you on these "mad tools" - don't hesitate to ask, I'll do the maximum to help you, as much as I can.

Souricette

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:39 pm

Well, if you want to help me gimme a nice tutorial on Cocoa and interface builder.

I can easily make a port for all my console application but for the one that need an interface i'm more clueless.

nickshanks

Post by nickshanks » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:43 am

I am interested in writing a Mac d2s Editor. I have been programming in Carbon/Toolbox for seven years and Cocoa for four. Whilst I know my way around IB, I am keen to do an OpenGL app which looks and feels like Diablo II itself, using the same interface etc. (I like ATMA in this respect - especially the item info windows :)

I plan on ripping most of the file handling code from Trevin Beattie's d2sEdit editor for Motif on X11.

Would this be of interest to anyone? Would anybody like to contribute?
I plan on putting the code on sourceforge (with Trevin's approval of course).

- Nick.

Souricette
Retired staff
Paladin

Hand-picked

Post by Souricette » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:51 am

[quote=nickshanks";p="137349"]I am interested in writing a Mac d2s Editor. I have been programming in Carbon/Toolbox for seven years and Cocoa for four. Whilst I know my way around IB, I am keen to do an OpenGL app which looks and feels like Diablo II itself, using the same interface etc. (I like ATMA in this respect - especially the item info windows :)

I plan on ripping most of the file handling code from Trevin Beattie's d2sEdit editor for Motif on X11.

Would this be of interest to anyone? Would anybody like to contribute?
I plan on putting the code on sourceforge (with Trevin's approval of course).

[/quote]

Well, I have already a basic d2s editor in "Diablo II MPQ Tool". It does not handle items nor mods, and its interface is really conventional, but it enables you to edit various things concerning your character...

It's written as a class in Realbasic, I can send you the sources (it's easily understandable and heavily commented, even if it's not in C/C++) Some parts are in C++, though (the ones dealing with checksum and bit arrays).

Note that a "killer" feature would be to be mod-compatible - but that would require possibility to read MPQ archives and extract files from them (and plenty more work) - I have the sources for that too, in C++, but if you plan to be based on Cocoa, note that another MPQ framwork, less buggy (according to its author) is existing: contact BahamutZero on www.macstorm.org for that.

Of course, I would participate with pleasure to your project - the more tools there are, the better it is!

Souricette
Last edited by Souricette on Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickshanks

Post by nickshanks » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:18 pm

[quote=Souricette";p="137427"]Well, I have already a basic d2s editor in "Diablo II MPQ Tool". It does not handle items nor mods, and its interface is really conventional, but it enables you to edit various things concerning your character...[/quote]

I found this last night and had a look at it. Clean, simple, basic, does the job well I'd imagine (not tested it out yet). I am primarily interested in doing an items editor, but since the rest of the file is rather simple in comparison, doing the whole lot wouldn't add much to the project.

[quote=Souricette";p="137427"]It's written as a class in Realbasic, I can send you the sources (it's easily understandable and heavily commented, even if it's not in C/C++) Some parts are in C++, though (the ones dealing with checksum and bit arrays).[/quote]

Please do so! That would be great as a validation tool of the routines I write, probably in Obj-C++.

[quote=Souricette";p="137427"]Note that a "killer" feature would be to be mod-compatible - but that would require possibility to read MPQ archives and extract files from them (and plenty more work) - I have the sources for that too, in C++, but if you plan to be based on Cocoa, note that another MPQ framwork, less buggy (according to its author) is existing: contact BahamutZero on www.macstorm.org for that.[/quote]

Okay, thanks, i'll check it out, but MPQ support is not in my plan at present (just a d2s editor).

[quote=Souricette";p="137427"]Of course, I would participate with pleasure to your project - the more tools there are, the better it is!

Souricette[/quote]

Would you rather use CodeWarrior or PB/Xcode? I'm a project builder convert but still maintain my copy of CW at the latest version and use it frequently.

My initial plan is to get d2sEdit ported from Motif to Mac, then build on that. Reading the other threads in this category, you're obviously quite a skilled programmer, would you be willing to start the port off (something I'm not very good at). The code I have is from http://216.240.136.125/~ddriver/download.html

Souricette
Retired staff
Paladin

Hand-picked

Post by Souricette » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:03 pm

Well, I think we can "leave" that thread now and keep that discussion privately... You can either PM me, or use email (daniel AT chiaramello DOT net)

I will also answer you privately for that.

Of course, if other people are interested in working on it, feel free to contact us! :D

Souricette

Return to “Mac Modding”