How does this sound? [M2.0]

Information and updates for all mods by Brother Laz.
Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

How does this sound? [M2.0]

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:04 am

I'm not sure when I'll be able to mod in the months to come or how often [estimations range from 'never' to '6 hours a day'...], but anyway, I'm making some progress on the skill trees. All you Median critics, lemme know if this would be good - before I release it, this time...

All classes have 12 class-specific skills and share 24 other skills, mostly utility stuff such as Heal and Blink.

Necromancer: lots of minions, all with a similar look, transparent black like the Slayer but without the cloud. They're all summoned from corpses, and each one has something special about it, which can be enhanced by putting points into other passive skills; Devil's Whores can slow enemies with Devil's Embrace, % teleport them away if you have points into Lord of Chaos [works :) ] or % cause a fireball on striking if you have Rising Sin; Lamia does crap for damage itself but inflicts a low radius Amp on its targets; the Overlord gives an aura that enhances everyone's damage except his own...

Paladin: a mix of minions and combat skills. Most of them are protective in nature; Sankekur even makes the paladin invulnerable as long as he keeps attacking. The minion system is similar to the necro's, except instead of requiring a corpse to summon them, there is a spell timer to prevent combat casting, and they look differently. There is also an area effect Heal spell to 'help them help you', and a Guardian Angel that attempts to heal/uncurse you and your minions when they take damage.

Barbarian: mostly combat skills [duh] but also two ranged throwing skills, and three summoning spells. [seems like the Ancients got bored...] Also has his very own Healing Ward.

Assassin: throwing knives and staff attacks. Have some neato new throwing skills. :) [Chain Cascade :P ] Can also summon machine gun traps from a corpse, and drop proximity mines that fire a barrage of nails when triggered; both [and more] do your weapon damage. Being the queen of 'placing dangerous things in the right place', Hentai summons tentacles that stun enemies in place, and Vengeance turns a corpse into a ghost-sentry-thing that fires life stealing ninja stars.

Sorceress: a lot of direct damage spells, as well as 'metaspells' that stay active for one second but give a huge boost to any spell cast in the meantime. So if you were to cast Empower followed by a direct damage spell, it'd do at least three times as much damage. As for direct damage, Pulse Lightning rapidly fires a barrage of 8 bolts at the nearest target, and Starfall is a kind of homing blizzard that drops magical missiles on nearby enemies.

Amazon: bow and spear skills, obviously. Horns of Jericho summons 'lesser celestial spirits' that go after enemies and shoot them with arrows that do your weapon damage [the spirits dissipate when all enemies are dead], Sunbeam pierces through walls and enemies, and Phalanx summons up to three other amazons to fight at your side.

Druid: ??? :(

Sounds good enough? Can I go ahead?
Last edited by Brother Laz on Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Re: How does this sound? [M2.0]

Post by Joel » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:19 am

You psychic thief !!!!

well they all sounds very good :D (but I'm not be so objective ...) and just sen dbe back AGAIN to the drawing boards for my own skills :)

go ahead ! that seems really straightforward and nice to have :D

Big thumb up !!
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

starbreaker

Post by starbreaker » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:59 am

yay.
just remember when you work out all the class skills that if you really are going for a d1 feel, party skills good. ok i'll be quiet now and return to staring in blank awe and reverence at your current 0.20 skills.txt. :D

jklame

Post by jklame » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:00 pm

Sounds great and well thought out. It definitely seems like you've given each of the classes a unique flavor. My only big worry is that you won't have the time to stick around and work on balance. From what I've seen so far, you definitely seem to have talent, but I still suspect that there's no way you'll get the balance right the first (or even the tenth time). Not your fault, its just the nature of things.

John

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:24 pm

Thats why betatesting is so important to get the right balance ;)

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Post by Rhonlore » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:55 pm

You would know all about that now wouldnt you Kingpin?

Damn frieking monsters...

Lol

That seems to be the unifying theme with the new mods, incredibly difficult monsters lol.

Oh and Laz, this sounds even better than your last one :D 'Gratz
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:52 am

Progress is very slow because of RL, but I am making progress. [cheerful way of saying 'I haven't done a damn thing over the last 3 days']

Anyway, the release date at the end of the month was a bit too optimistic... ;) I'd say 'expect it when 1.10 final comes out' but that'd be too pessimistic.

:mrgreen:
Median XL released!

Rhonlore
Champion of the Light

Post by Rhonlore » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:35 pm

let me quote my Angenda for school
A pessimist sees the worst in everything. In optimist sees oppurtunity in everything.
Good luck with the mod... And pray 1.10 comes out soon :D[/quote]
"I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe" - Chib, Infoceptor Forums
The 1.10 Editorial

adamantine
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by adamantine » Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:18 am

could you have the spear/jave skills use thrusting weapons for zons, so daggers are also included? maybe even a dagger only skill(since they're pretty useless)?

sorc: i like the sound of meta spells :)

what about spells that you charge up? or you might of not gotten that to work(and thus, no-one else will)?

--------

edit > if i understand correctly, skilldesc is limited to 255(256?), lines, and you're using (24+12)*7=252 ones.

blizzard went a long way to make all skills unique(even if they sucked they at least had different names..), so if you're not using the same skills for several characters(or i could of missunderstood), why not give them different names/descriptions? makes your character(s) feel more unique.

i understand that you want to make it like d1 though, so i shouldn't be whining.
Last edited by adamantine on Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:52 pm

adamantine";p="133476" wrote:could you have the spear/jave skills use thrusting weapons for zons, so daggers are also included? maybe even a dagger only skill(since they're pretty useless)?
...all the skills are new, and yes, there will be dagger skills [if I ever get more than 1 hour per week to work on it]...
what about spells that you charge up? or you might of not gotten that to work(and thus, no-one else will)?
Exactly: I can't do it, so the gods can't do it either! [Told ya God is not almighty! :mrgreen:]
edit > if i understand correctly, skilldesc is limited to 255(256?), lines, and you're using (24+12)*7=252 ones.
Screw skilldesc.txt! :)
blizzard went a long way to make all skills unique(even if they sucked they at least had different names..), so if you're not using the same skills for several characters(or i could of missunderstood), why not give them different names/descriptions? makes your character(s) feel more unique.
??!? WTF? I did not give any identical skill a different name between two characters. Everything that is the same has the same name, and I don't see why it should be different, and where you got the idea of me doing that kind of stuff.
i understand that you want to make it like d1 though, so i shouldn't be whining.
No more - I did, and got bashed for it. ['not enough uniqueness between characters']
Median XL released!

adamantine
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by adamantine » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:45 pm

and where you got the idea of me doing that kind of stuff.
i didn't, relax ;) just a stupid suggestion!
Lurker Lounge | Amazon Basin | Atma

Don't you know yet who I am / Working harder for the man

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:25 am

what do you think of this idea?

Druid: Metamorph creature:

each tree had 3 starting morph habilities that allow him to transform in a different creature and the skills that required one of the starting skills are that monsters habilities.

as example:

I choosed Lord of the Pit Transformation, so I have a nice beast that deal fire damage and have a ton of life or Vit, thus opening the skill "Come to Hell" that do X, and after I choose that skill I can open the skill "Your soul is Mine!" that is the last skill a Lord of the Pit can have.

then I choosed the transformation Hell Hound that is embedded on fire absorb, thus allowing me to spend points on Fire Breath and later on Cerberus Call

is only a little idea.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

ffej311
Paladin

Post by ffej311 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:31 am

This mod sounds awesome already! I caint wait.

I like the other idea of having skills for the Necromancer that does Instant Death IF it hits.

Cant wait to play it, have any idea when the beta will be out?

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:52 am

Sorry to inform you of this, but there will be no Median 2.0 because of some very serious issues (unfixable crash bugs, messy text files, bad balance) so this mod has been canceled forever. :( But, on the other hand Brolaz has started creating to make a new mod utilizing some of the best of Median, so don't don't lose any sleep over this one not being made. :)
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Return to “Brother Laz”