Median

Information and updates for all mods by Brother Laz.
Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Median

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:09 pm

Mods By Laz presents...

OK, I've had enough of gadget mods (play once, throw away), and Acid Reign is taking too much time for nothing, doesn't have enough item variety by its nature (can't have a minotaur wearing a cap, can you?), would get beaten by Joel's mod anyway, and is too dependent on a patch that isn't coming, so I'm working on a normal mod now. Default char gfx. Yup. Name: Median.

But thanks to JOEL (worship him), with massively edited skills 1.10 style avant la lettre. The paladin will be a clerical mage, and can cast holy forked lightning, 'rosary beads' (think Holy Cluster Bomb of Antioch) and healing spells; the barbarian can not only melee but also throw axes (entire skill tree, too) and summon tribal spirits, the Ancients, guard towers that shoot enemies and do your weapon damage, and (Larzuk's latest inventions) cannon towers; the necromancer actually no longer has minions or curses but does have a lot of indirect damage, death spells (large AR penalty, but if it hits, it's lights out) and melee attacks (!); the assassin can throw knives (think homing multishot, and Soul Shadows that follow the enemy and throw knives at them) and attack with daggers... bye bye whirlwind, battle orders, frozen orb, phoenix strike, valkyrie, multishot, and the 204 other CLoD skills!

But Joel isn't entirely finished with it (and we all hope he'll be soon - if not: blood hunt), so currently I'm working on the items. There are no more normal/excep/elite items, but rather 6 variations of the same normal items, divided evenly between their base level and level 90 (eg. full plate can have ilvl 27 and 77-155 defense for 91 str, or ilvl 82 and 372-694 defense for 159 str). The armors also have different looks than in CLoD, besides having different stats. The six variations are calculated using obscure formulae of Excel juju, and should be nicely balanced.

All new affix pool, of course, with a few quirks. It is encouraged to make your char look like (s)he's supposed to look - no barbs with a green potato bag on their head, or paladins in a cacophony of colours. Light armors get spellcasting bonuses. Heavy armors get fighter bonuses. Plated belts are actually very different from heavy belts, if only because of the fact that they can get barbarian skills. Spiked shields are not the same as normal shields. Sorcs use staves for better reasons than just to look good - may have to do with the fact that they can get individual skill bonuses as both prefix and suffix, resulting in a potential +9 to three skills on a high level rare. There is something eerie about gothic shields and damage/magic damage reduction as well. This time I'm rabid about balance, and I hope to get everything nice and balanced before Joel's skill code arrives. Of course, I've never made any balanced mod, but this time I'm trying. :)

I have a site for it too, but I'm not going to upload it until the mod is nearing beta stage. Otherwise it's just going to sit there.

Alright, some item pics. Btw: as I said, I haven't done or started on the skills yet, so it still has the skills and skill names of CLoD. These won't be in, of course; +to (eg.) holy shock on an item will end up as something entirely else in the mod, +to tsunami or rosary beads or something like that. So don't read the skill bonuses literally. Also ignore the -not xlated call ken; haven't added the about 850 items to the tbl files yet. (how'd you be...?)

http://www.geocities.com/fortheeendymion/median1.html

Pretty paladin set. ;)

http://www.geocities.com/fortheeendymion/median2.html

New armor looks. :mrgreen:

http://www.geocities.com/fortheeendymion/median3.html

Will post some early skills soon, but I'm waiting for Joel's invention to do the major skill editing. At least it'll be before 1.10 for sure... ;)

(Edit: 2 bad feedback emails and 0 replies... people don't seem to like it much apparently. :cry: Well, it's either this or no mod. :( )
Last edited by Brother Laz on Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Re: Median

Post by Joel » Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:57 pm

Don't listen to suckers Brother ... You know what I think of it and probably others share my opinions. Go on and make YOUR mod the way you want it.
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:29 pm

Joel,
people expect me to make mods they like and I don't. People think it's cool to be a monster... then proceed to bash Blizzard for including a vampyre.

Anyway... I'll give the monster-character idea some thought again. There are monsters with multiple armor looks... zealots and minotaurs, off the top of my head.

*sigh*

(Edit: Oughta work...)
Last edited by Brother Laz on Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Median XL released!

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:35 pm

NONONONONO!! Dont make another monster mod, especially if it isnt what you want. Your skill ideas rock, and those screenies are great! Dont give up because of two stupid e-mails. Were the e-mails from modders, even? :roll:

Anways, keep up the good work, and everything looks great so far! :mrgreen:
-A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:36 pm

OK, is it yes or no?

C'mon people, tell me what you really want me to slave for!
Median XL released!

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:43 pm

I really want to play a BL mod with normal player but totally KA skills and items like you know how to make :D

Drop the monsters stuff totally !!
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:42 am

Make the mod you would want to play. No matter what you do, there will be people who will like it, and people who will oppose you every step. Ignore the latter, or "immortalize" them as in-game foes, that group will be small in any case.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:59 am

You know I look forward to whatever project you work on Brother Laz... make it the way you want it. Some people won't like it, but a lot of people certainly will like it (that includes you, if you do it the way you want it to).

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:05 am

I can only say the same as the previous ones.

Do a mod what you like to do, and with your talent there will be somethings to look forward for. I was looking forward for your Acid reign.

But, it's a lot better not wait for 1.10. We never knows when it comes and personally i think we all will be playing 1.10 a lot before start out with modding. When we got tired of 1.10 we go back to modding again ;)

Darkmage
Retired staff
Paladin

Post by Darkmage » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:08 am

I also look forward to whatever it is you come up with. Crazy new skills and interesting items will give me plenty of hours of entertainment, that's for sure. I agree though, don't "give-in" and make a mod somebody tells you to. Enjoy what you're doing, and it will show in the final product. No matter what people THINK they want, they'll have a lot more fun with a mod YOU wanted to make than one you were... conned into making. Just trust your instincts. ;)
End? No the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path; one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it... white shores, and beyond. The far green country, onto a swift sunrise.

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:56 pm

hey, brother laz, remember the first PM i wrote you, asking about d2:black, when i was a serf, little and stupid? i was really lookig forward to it, and i am still. but i would also be glad to see another mod made by you. you seem to really have some talent in making mods, and i personally like, if i think about it, original player graphics more, as they have a lot more variants. the screenies look promising.
keep working on it ;).

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:53 pm

:scratch:

Beta's here, see how fast I can get this thing working! (first get the #@$ downloaded though!) Gogo Banshee Flight! :)
Median XL released!

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:29 pm

http://www.geocities.com/fortheeendymio ... 7586020816

After just 1 hour of 1.10 track time... and yes, they all work. ;)
Median XL released!

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:06 am

[quote=Brother Laz";p="112108"]http://www.geocities.com/fortheeendymio ... 7586020816

After just 1 hour of 1.10 track time... and yes, they all work. ;)[/quote]

LOL, nice stuff; the last one was the most curious I think, +% gold based on carried gold... does it take into account the gold in your stash? Or just the gold the character carries in the inventory?

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:24 pm

The gold you carry on the character... it should be possible to make it based on gold in stash, but I chose the other one for no real reason. :)

Made a grand number of 2 skills already, will post some pics when I have more than 2 skills, and have them looking exactly the way I want them to. :)

Website (& forum) coming within about 2 weeks. Hopefully. :)
Median XL released!

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:55 pm

The new mod looks cool Laz!

Looks like your first quest will be to xlate a kall for ken.
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:27 pm

Progress is good (6 assassin skills, 2 paladin skills, 2 passives in 1 day). Will post bunch of pics soon. :)
Median XL released!

ChaoticDeath
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by ChaoticDeath » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:51 pm

may I ask, will you be re-doing ALL the skills of each character? This mod looks really kool and good btw ;). Keep up the good work!
-A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:14 pm

Don't you know me already when it comes to skills?

Yep, 30-45 new skills per char (depends on my endurance), & a bunch of other skills. :) And all new items, affixes, etc. :)
Median XL released!

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:10 pm

Nah...go for 54 skills per character. After all, you can cram 18 icons in each tree. ;) :P

But in all seriousness, sounds like great stuff ahead. I look forward to the finished product.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:38 pm

I'm actually thinking about that... ;)

But it depends on how many good skills I can make. If I have to clone skills across characters or make piles of passives it's not worth it IMO. :mrgreen:
Median XL released!

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:15 am

Brother Laz";p="113179" wrote:Don't you know me already when it comes to skills?
Brother Laz working on new skills:

Laz: Okay, 24 new skills done for each character :)

Everybody: wow, awesome skills man :D

Laz: Nah, they were not good enough. Back to start, from scratch... new 24 skills done for each character now :)

Everybody: WOW!!!

Laz: Hmm.... still not good enough :-| okay, how about these new 24 skills for each character??

Everybody: 8-O 8-O

It goes on and on... this guy is a skill-creating machine :mrgreen:

Seriously now, I could swear I've seen you posting a bunch of pics of skills in the morning... I was in a hurry so I didn't check on them carefully. Where did they go? Or have you decided those were not good enough as well hmm? ;)

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:46 pm

Laz: Just posted a bunch of them, but actually I don't like them much... delete post and start again. :D

Alkalund: I TOLD YOU! :mrgreen:

I started again after 'posting' those pics, but I'm about to start again. :mrgreen: The problem is that I've got 20 nice assassin skills, and 10 filler skills. Again. :x

I don't NEED a skill that turns corpses into firewall traps. I already have one that casts meteors. (& now properly destroys the corpse :) ) I don't NEED 10 passives. There are only so many interesting effects to put on passives.

And this is the assassin, along with the barb the char I had planned in advance the most. I have 2 amazon skills.

Making new skills isn't a goal by itself; if I can't make them better than Blizzard's skills, it's pointless. :mrgreen:

Help :x I need more good skills very soon, or Joel will totally beat me!
Median XL released!

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:45 pm

Brother Laz";p="113809" wrote:Making new skills isn't a goal by itself; if I can't make them better than Blizzard's skills, it's pointless. :mrgreen:
very true. lots of people seem to do things because it is possible, and not because it makes sense ... good to hear that i dont stand alone with my view on things "dont do things that can be done, but are pointless".

Brother Laz";p="113809" wrote:Help :x I need more good skills very soon, or Joel will totally beat me!
hey, this is no "who is better" battle, is it? have i missed something? but... why dont you just post your needs and we can discuss about them? :)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:27 pm

I'm pretty sure the "competition" between Brother Laz and Joel is informal and more of a friendly rivalry, if you can even call it a rivalry. I sense that both of them have a lot of respect for the other's work.

All I can say is that when they come out, I'm almost certain both of their mod's will be wildly popular. I may even forego sleep for a few weeks to play them. ;)
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Return to “Brother Laz”