Balance thread

Information and updates for the d2:elements mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Char

No votes

Total votes: 0

midoru
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Crusader

Balance thread

Post by midoru » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:17 pm

Hello!

Maybe I am better known as kaltkraehe on the channel ;)

Overall I like the mod. Afgter playing a Sorc through normal i have to say there are some balance issues. Still the cookie skills rule the field. Especially Meteor and Hydra. I didnt play any nightmare or hell because some RL issues are holding me back right now.

Frost Nova is actually useful. I used it as a main kill spell the first 4 acts.
But the damage potential of Meteor and Hydra simply outclasses any other skill.

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:49 pm

Nice to hear ;). How long did it take you? My Multiple Shot / GA amazon has just reached act 4, and it took me quite a while...

As I myself never played as a Hydra / Meteor sorc, I had a quick look at them and thought they were okay. Did you try this on low levels or on high ones? Before changing anything to those skills (which might be needed) I need to know some more about it to know HOW to balance them :).

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Re: Balance thread

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:12 pm

midoru";p="266134" wrote:Still the cookie skills rule the field. Especially Meteor and Hydra.
Hydra has never been powerful in unmodded. Prior to LoD, it was a lot of fun to use but wasn't affected by fire mastery and didn't exactly kill very quickly. See Sirian's report on the feebleness of a build with maxed hydra against the Hell council.

In LoD, it was made to do huge damage but they also added the timer and it became a ridiculously boring skill to use, as well as losing all sense of area effect.

If hydra is now useful, that's an achievement and not a problem. ;)
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

midoru
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Crusader

Re: Balance thread

Post by midoru » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:43 pm

Ok I exxagerated a bit on this :)

Hydra is kinda powerful now because the duration increases with slvl.
Also it seems that the Iron Maiden curse of the Ob knights is rather weak at normal. My merc took almost no damage of it.

Meteor is strong for the obvious reasons. Impact damage is nice but the afterburn is the real killer at high lvls (>10).
Fireball is rather weak... I never put any points in it except prereq.

Going through normal took me about ... 6-7 hours?

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:19 pm

wow... 6-7 hours is quite quick i think :). however, maybe my build is just kinda weak / i got really bad spawns at some places / i play poorly :P. i will definitely have a look at the skills and their damage again, though.

iron maiden seems weak because the damage your characters and hirelings do is much lower than it is in unmodded LOD. furthermore, i think that the monsters use the same skills as the characters, which is kindof changed (i guess the damage return is a bit lower than in unmodded...)

Return to “d2:elements”