public beta bug / balance reports

Information and updates for the d2:elements mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Char

pmpch
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

public beta bug / balance reports

Post by pmpch » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:15 am

Ok I played till Bloodraven with a Druid.
Edit1: Just sent the Countess back to hell.

Bugs
- Molten Boulder display still wrong, 450-900 at lvl 1.

Balance
-Bloodravens damage sux: she does 4 dmg and her fire shot does 4 dmg aswell. By the time one gets to her the character should be around lvl 5-6. Whoever doesn't invest atleast 5 points into vitality should get punished!! It takes her like 10-12 hits to kill a player with 50 life. I've seen alot of uber bloodravens in other mods, but this one is definetly a bit weak. Make that around 6-8 dmg and the fire arrow maybe 8-12. So ppl actually fear her ;)
Edit: Corpse Fire does 11-13. Ok he's melee, but you face him at lvl 2 or 3.

-In the beginning, when having low life a healing pot (hp1) will aid very quickly. They aren't as fast as a 35% cure one, but almost. While a healing is worth 30 gold, the cure one costs 200 (sells for 100). That's somewhat high I guess. Same with mana.

- Some magical affix give major cash, while others (like: dmg red by 2) barely give anything, although very powerful. I have spent atleast 20k for gamble so far. This is at level 9. Gambing pays off as you often get 1.5-2 times the money spent, if you get a good affix or a rare. I gamble like 50 items.

- I believe the charm, ring and amulet base price is a bit high, seems to be around 1000. I'd say 500 would do, otherwise low levels get alot of cash off these, as they give from 1500-3000 gold depending on stats.

- Molten Boulder: Don't know what you should do with this :roll:. Without this an elemental druid is screwed vs bosses lvl 7+. On the other hand if you got it those bosses really get owned with abit of hit and run. Knockback and splash damage is very effective. It's a typical 1 point skill (0=bad, 1=good, 2=bad). Level 1= 3-6 dmg, Level 2 = 3-7. Thats a really bad increase).

More to come.

EDIT (Char): Changed threat title
Last edited by pmpch on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bedevere: Well, now, uh, Launcelot, Galahad, and I, uh, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the RABBIT, taking the French, uh, by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!
King Arthur: Who leaps out?

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Re: beta 1.02b bug / balance reports

Post by Char » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:45 pm

thanks for the reply.... looks like you are quite alone, or the bugs are too hidden for others to find them.

[quote=pmpch";p="162005"]Bugs
- Molten Boulder display still wrong, 450-900 at lvl 1.[/quote]

i know. i currently do not know how to fix this, though. i will have a look at it after all the more important (non-display) bugs are solved.

[quote=pmpch";p="162005"]Balance
-Bloodravens damage sux: [...][/quote]

okay, the evil thing about bloodraven is that she summons stuff. i had some problems to get her down. but i will at some time have a look at that.

[quote=pmpch";p="162005"]-In the beginning, when having low life a healing pot (hp1) will aid very quickly. They aren't as fast as a 35% cure one, but almost. While a healing is worth 30 gold, the cure one costs 200 (sells for 100). That's somewhat high I guess. Same with mana.[/quote]

besides the fact that everything sells for half the price now (this affects rings, ammys and charms, too), you got to see that later in the game, these minor cure potions are WAY more powerful. its the same as with rejuvenation potions. they are way more expensive, too. i am not gonna change this i think ;).

[quote=pmpch";p="162005"]- Some magical affix give major cash, while others (like: dmg red by 2) barely give anything, although very powerful. I have spent atleast 20k for gamble so far. This is at level 9. Gambing pays off as you often get 1.5-2 times the money spent, if you get a good affix or a rare. I gamble like 50 items.[/quote]

i reduced all selling prices by 50%, that should stop excessive gambling. for the affix costs: you can redo them if you want, i have no problems with that...
seriously: this is something to balance after other things have been done, and it is not THAT important (at least, not currently). it is a hell of a work, too.

[quote=pmpch";p="162005"]- Molten Boulder: Don't know what you should do with this :roll:. Without this an elemental druid is screwed vs bosses lvl 7+. On the other hand if you got it those bosses really get owned with abit of hit and run. Knockback and splash damage is very effective. It's a typical 1 point skill (0=bad, 1=good, 2=bad). Level 1= 3-6 dmg, Level 2 = 3-7. Thats a really bad increase).[/quote]

i personally am trying a molten boulder build currently, so i guess it should be a bit better balanced in version 1.03. my character is level 25 / river of flame currently.

guess most of your problems are solved with the new version ;).

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:36 pm

i know. i currently do not know how to fix this, though. i will have a look at it after all the more important (non-display) bugs are solved.
I bet you are still using beta files off skills.txt/skilldesc.txt? if you do, look how they fixed it in 1.10 final :)

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:34 pm

that might be true. i guess i will just take the final files and copy some parts from there :).
Last edited by Char on Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmpch
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by pmpch » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:19 pm

I figured that my druid needed some more uniques/sets and therefore I played around with itemratio.txt a bit :mrgreen:

Well some of those items are really too good to be true, like the lvl 2 unique hand axe, for example. (3-76 dmg at lvl 11 and some other major stats)

What is their purpose ?
Bedevere: Well, now, uh, Launcelot, Galahad, and I, uh, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the RABBIT, taking the French, uh, by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!
King Arthur: Who leaps out?

Danrik

Re: d2:elements beta release / bug thread

Post by Danrik » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:04 pm

greetings!

some bugs i found, maybe only display errors, but when not...

[general]
- display error on some gems: leftmost text is outside of screen *grrr*
- the buttons of the PlugY Stash are sometimes overblended by the background

[skills]
- barbarian:
* double swing - display error with attack rating and fire damage(?), doesn't work with septers
* frenzy - maybe does not work with septers, too (not tested)
- druid:
* mana costs for raven missing
- amazon:
* inner sight - at level 18 with 175 spellpower it gives only -2 percent enemy defense
* decoy, valkyrie - resistances, how much?
* magic arrow - character level doesn't increase magic damage (it seems so, because it works well for fire arrow)
* multi shot displays 4/8 damage -> 1/2 damage
* freezing arrow - spellpower doesn't increase damage
- paladin
* holy bolt - spellpower doesn't increase heal / damage
- necromancer:
* raise skeleton - spellpower increase attack rating and life, but not defense
* blood golem - spellpower doesn't increase hitpoints (life)

[monster]
- first lightning enchanted boss (dark clan, stony field) killed me instantly in melee (duh!); no bug, just not funny - and i have some lighting resistances on
- blood raven does no damage, or not much (even with a sorc very easy)

anyway, good job; my summoner-necro with base str/dex/vit currently walks around in the desert :)

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:29 pm

actually, there is no purpose. this special unique was meant to be a joke, with a level requirement that would always have been higher than your level, no matter what your level is (level requirement based on level). sadly, that did not work and i forgot to disable it later.

EDIT:

Danrik, i merged your post into this topic cause the other one was meant for the old, closed beta.

[quote=Danrik";p="163055"][general]
- display error on some gems: leftmost text is outside of screen *grrr*
- the buttons of the PlugY Stash are sometimes overblended by the background[/quote]

sorry for the display error on the gems. got to think about something to make that readable....
about the buttons: i told that yohann (who made that great plugin), perhaps he can fix it.

[quote=Danrik";p="163055"][skills]
- barbarian:
* double swing - display error with attack rating and fire damage(?), doesn't work with septers
* frenzy - maybe does not work with septers, too (not tested)[/quote]

for some weird reason, scepters and caster staves are not counted as weapons by the game. must be some error in itemtypes.txt, but i couldnt find it yet (joel had no idea, either, everything looks fine....). because of that, they cannot be used with any attack skill (they are not meant to be fought with, but it still sucks).

[quote=Danrik";p="163055"]- druid:
* mana costs for raven missing[/quote]

noticed, is on the list for the next version.

[quote=Danrik";p="163055"]- amazon:
* inner sight - at level 18 with 175 spellpower it gives only -2 percent enemy defense
* decoy, valkyrie - resistances, how much?
* magic arrow - character level doesn't increase magic damage (it seems so, because it works well for fire arrow)
* multi shot displays 4/8 damage -> 1/2 damage
* freezing arrow - spellpower doesn't increase damage[/quote]

inner sight: very weird. gonna look at it.
decoy, valk: perhaps i can display that information, as its interesting.
multishot: well, okay... gonna improve that display ;)
magic arrow, freeying arrow: weird. do not have my files here currently, but i will look at that.

[quote=Danrik";p="163055"]- paladin
* holy bolt - spellpower doesn't increase heal / damage[/quote]

strange, too. i remember seeing it did.... well, gonna check that.

[quote=Danrik";p="163055"]- necromancer:
* raise skeleton - spellpower increase attack rating and life, but not defense
* blood golem - spellpower doesn't increase hitpoints (life)[/quote]

probably display errors. *adds to the list of things to check*

[quote=Danrik";p="163055"][monster]
- first lightning enchanted boss (dark clan, stony field) killed me instantly in melee (duh!); no bug, just not funny - and i have some lighting resistances on
- blood raven does no damage, or not much (even with a sorc very easy)[/quote]

LE boss: with base vit that might happen. just a tip: monsters tend to ignore your pets, so increase vit at least a bit with EVERY character. the skillpower effect has diminishing returns, and the difference between having 450 and 500 skillpower is not much later on. gonna release the skillpower effect formulas soon. they are different on different characters by the way....
but if you had more than base vit, that should not really happen. if it still does with a melee build, please tell me, i got to get a fix in that case.
blood raven: pmpch already complained about that. i guess i will increase the damage a bit, although for me she was bad mostly because she did not stop summoning those damn undeads...

[quote=Danrik";p="163055"]anyway, good job; my summoner-necro with base str/dex/vit currently walks around in the desert :)[/quote]

thanks a lot :). and thanks for your feedback, it really helps me to improve the mod.
Last edited by Char on Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: public beta bug / balance reports

Post by kingpin » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:39 pm

sorry for the display error on the gems. got to think about something to make that readable....
about the buttons: i told that yohann (who made that great plugin), perhaps he can fix it.
I have posted a way to fix this in CE forum if you are interested of that Char. It will display each modifier on its own row instead, with that the problem with both Weapon description and out of window will be gone.

Danrik

Post by Danrik » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:04 am

>> * blood golem - spellpower doesn't increase hitpoints (life)

have check this again: spellpower actually increase life, but ONLY when you put points in golem mastery

btw, with a melee char i put always some points in vit, and the lightning one above was a barbarian

2 other cents:
- set drops are very often (onetime 3 ones on screen, with /players 1)
- uniques are rare, only found two ones - rixot's keen (normal) and rixot's keen (ethereal), hmmm...

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:15 pm

rares are meant to drop quite often. this is only for lowlevel ones.... highlevel ones drop far less often. furthermore there are more lowlevel set items now.

about the uniques: the problem is not that they drop not enough, but that there are not enough. most uniques have been disabled cause they would have been unbalanced. i need to re-enable and to rebalance them, then there will be more again.

Danrik

Post by Danrik » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:12 pm

(necromancer)
* poison nova - damage 0-1 on char screen and it take forever to kill enemies with it
* poison explosion - damage 0-1 on char screen, too
* fire golem - (balance) mana costs are to high (he isn't significantly better than i.e. clay golem, huh?)
(sorceress)
* fire nova - damage on char screen is to high
(paladin)
* prayer - at level 1 it gives ... nothing! what about 1 health regeneration?

have found my next unique - blood crescent - also very useful for a summoner :(

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:04 am

poison nova: is more or less meant as a support skill. does quite low damage at low levels, but targets hordes of enemies. perhaps i will increase the damage for lowlevels though, seeing that its a level 30 skill.

poison nova, poison explosion: i hope to correct those display bugs soon.

fire golem mana cost: gonna think about that.

fire nova: gonna see if i can correct that.

prayer: well, thats a bug. i thought it worked, though... i will have a look at it.

Rodin

Post by Rodin » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:03 pm

Druid:

Werewolf skill seems to be messed up. Level 2 for both it and Lycanthropy is 10. Given that Werewolf is a skill you have to activate, and Lycanthropy is a passive skill, then according to the table the respective skill requirements should be 2 and 15.

If this is intentional, then it seems VERY harsh on the Werewolf player, as level 1 Werewolf is actually a decrease in attack speed (due to the slower animation of the Werewolf). Basically, all you get when you put that one skill point in is a bit of stamina and a bit of health, but you deal a lot less damage due to the slower attack speed. The result of this is that my character is now level 5, and he is not using any skills whatsoever (as I want to play a Werewolf Druid, and thus must save up my skill points for that purpose).

The balance is great, and I love every other aspect of this mod, but please fix the Druid's skills so that it's possible to actually have a Werewolf build.
"According to the doctors, I have a short atten....oooh something shiny!"

-Fighter, 8-bit theater.

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:56 pm

interesting aspect. for now, i would suggest trying to live with lvl 1 werewolf and lvl 1 lyc (as that already gives some nice hp% bonus), and then trying to get the higherlevel skills. later, if you are level 15 or so, you can increase the werewolf skill.
got to look at that, though. it will quite probably be changed (perhaps it will even be realistically possible to make a werewolf / werebear build).

twinfire

Post by twinfire » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:52 pm

Hi All!

There seems to be a definite bug in the doubleswing skill of a barbarian.

My level 7 barbarian is equipped with a saber that does 5% mana per hit, and a hand-axe that does 5% life per hit.

When I don't use doubleswing, the blue/red splash shows, and my life/mana increase in their respective bubbles.

When I do a doubleswing, though, the splashes show, but my mana always goes down.

My mana is at 35, and the mana cost of a doubleswing is 2. At that level of mana, maybe the mana should go down; it just shouldn't go down by 2? When I level up I will add to spellpower and see if I get the same results.

My life is 72.

If this is a bug, it may be a D2 bug rather than a Char bug.

TF
Life is grand in a big way because it is universal.

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:09 pm

quite definitely no bug.
your mana is 35. that means your mana regeneration is so low that it practically doesnt matter here. your need 2 mana per doubleswing, and your sabre does probably something like 1-9 damage (5 average). now 5% of 5 are 0.25 mana.... you would need at least 40 average damage to compensate the mana use.

Soren

Post by Soren » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:31 pm

Just to chime in on Blood Raven: I think her damage should be increased. Yes, she can summon, but you can get rid of the initial large pack by dragging them out of the fence, and dispatching them away from Blood Raven. But with her low damage, there's no need. I found Cold Crow to be much harder than Blood Raven.

I didn't get very far, because it seems that you only gain 1 skill point per level. If this cannot be fixed soon, perhaps you could temporarily set the required skill points back to normal, so that other aspects of the mod can be tested easier.[/b]

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:33 pm

blood raven damage was already mentioned somewhere, so i will deal about that. if you have the dll correctly installed, you should get more than 1 skillpoint per level, at least for levels 4+. i have personally a level 70 druid and got a lot of skillpoints ;).

Theli
Paladin

Post by Theli » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:12 pm

"Frozen Orb: Cold damage 0"?
There are several things that seem unbalanced in this mod. First of all, many skills has been butchered (such as frozen orb) and secondly, spellcasters has it much easier than melee attackers, there is simply not enough hitpoints/vitality to warrant getting close to an enemy.
And spellpower is often not worth investing points into.
I have a zeal/holy freeze paladin for instance... my holy freeze skill is at level 9 and does only 19-25 damage to my attack. Simple reason is: no synergies. Without synergies the damage will increase only by a couple points per level (the levelup in that skill costs 10 points now, BTW), and the spellpower does practically nothing. If I add 15 statpoints in spellpower, I'm lucky if I can see my freeze damage increase by a single point. Better invest those in strenght and get some physical damage in my opinion.

It's unfortunate, because there are some great things in this mod, the skillsystem is a great improvement over the original and spellpower is an excellent idea (in theory).
"Come, come and try some cosmic weed, and glance a world so strange indeed."
- Lake of Tears
http://www.theli.net

Return to “d2:elements”