dc6 maker 3.0 question

This would be the forum for questions about how to work with mod making tools which can be a problem of its own.

Moderator: Paul Siramy

No votes

Total votes: 0

wrapscallion

dc6 maker 3.0 question

Post by wrapscallion » Sun May 26, 2002 8:47 pm

i reckon i'm gonna have to just read everything you guys post.....because that d2 mod maker seems to not work at all.......but to the dc6.... i can't seem to get it to work, either, i unrar'd it....and it says some files are missing (and i am still having probs with the experience thing.....i'll get it......)

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Mon May 27, 2002 1:41 am

Did you download dc6maker from its official page?

http://hem.passagen.se/clann/dc6maker.htm

What files are missing?

Riparious

Post by Riparious » Mon May 27, 2002 4:55 pm

--- Files missing while trying to install? If so, you need the VB6 runtime nonsense: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... US;q235420

VB6 really is perfectly adequate for small programs, but its installer is [extensive, and loud, stream of profanity withheld out of recognition for the delicate sensibilities of some ;)].

--- Files missing after successful (?) installation? Beats me, but it doesn't sound like you've reached that point. Once the VB6 gods have been satisfied enough to install, there are typically no problems with missing files.

p.s. 3.0 is much faster (seconds vs. minutes for particularly large files like skilltree backgrounds), but I never once got results out of it as good as those I got out of 2.0 with the 2.1 .exe upgrade.

http://www.modsinternational.com/files/ ... file&id=48
http://www.modsinternational.com/files/ ... file&id=49
Law School (n.) - Scattered across the nation, they are institutions that temporarily insulate decent society from the evil, vicious, and stupid. Not to be confused with Prison.

deathfile
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by deathfile » Tue May 28, 2002 9:53 pm

i have another question about the dc6maker...

when i make a picture in bmp or pcx format, it looks fine. i then put it in dc6maker and it changes the colors around slightly. brown would turn to red, etc. then, when i go to put the new dc6 into the game the colors are completely wrong. they are almost inverted. anything im doing wrong? how do i fix that?

Riparious

Post by Riparious » Wed May 29, 2002 12:28 am

It's not you. For some reason 3.0 has been geared really differently, so the palettes in the palettes folder are BGR instead of RGB... The palette named diablo2.pal, in the same folder as the executable, is still the normal RGB, so I'm guessing you used that one (sensibly enough). But, since it's in the 'correct' format, it results in screwy colors.

To fix it... stick to the BGR palettes in the folder and, if you're making items, skilltree backgrounds, etc., open the act 1 palette in a hex editor and change colors 223-254 (counting 256 colors as 0-255) to white, just like color 255. Use that palette. Many swear by the magenta fix to eliminate the 31 colors that change from act to act, and thus cause distortion, but its utility is still unclear to me :) (and it's geared at regular image-manip. programs anyway). However, I've also had no distortion in my graphics since I figured out the white fix and changed my program and dc6maker palettes this way *shrug*.

Also, if you haven't, follow the standard advice about saving your .bmp or .pcx files with the d2 palette. dc6maker apparently uses nearest-color dithering, which can result in blotchiness and odd color changes if the nearest color is pretty far away. In a regular image-manip. program you can choose between nearest-color and error-diffusion (at least) to get the best look for the graphic with the d2 palette before you pass it on to dc6maker. This way, dc6maker doesn't need to think or adjust; it just takes the colors as they are.
Law School (n.) - Scattered across the nation, they are institutions that temporarily insulate decent society from the evil, vicious, and stupid. Not to be confused with Prison.

Return to “Tools”