Nihlathak

Information and updates for the Fusion series of mods. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.
Horazon

Nihlathak

Post by Horazon » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:34 am

OK, there just needs to be more incentive in the game for taking this guy on.

I finally did buy the xpac last week and first thing I did was take a clvl 34 necromancer through normal Act V, just for a run-through. I knew it would be easy being about 5 levels or so ahead of the curve and since when is playing a summoning necromancer hard? Heh.

So as expected most of the act was easy after a few level-ups and some good drops (needed to make some adjustments to the build), then I got to Nihlathak and that bastard nearly killed me. Twice! Finally a worthy fight... Then I get back to town and what I get is... A personalized item? Bleh.

Maybe the quest system can be tweaked a bit so that Anya gives you your class-specific rare after you wax Nihilathak, or have him always give a good drop (say 60% chance to drop a unique item?) Anyway I think there should be a bigger reward to justify the bigger risk.

Voodoo_Sun
Paladin

Re: Nihlathak

Post by Voodoo_Sun » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:53 pm

What risk??? nihlathak is easy!!! Sure you gotta do a bit of fancy dancing to lure all his minions away (the ones in the room) Once most are dead you just run up and hit him a few times. ignore the minions he summons because if you kill them then he will do corpse explosion on them and a few minions trying to hit you doesn't do much. nihlathak dies fast then you can kill the last few minions that you didn't lure away in the beginning with no worries of corpse explosion.

I've never had a problem with him. If anything i think he should be suped up if the quest reward gets any better.
Your Life is Your Own. Life it for Yourself.
Only Sheep Stand in Line

Horazon

Post by Horazon » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:01 am

Well, chalk it up to being my first time, and yep, he is kinda like the Summoner - all offense but easy to kill once you can get through it / nullify it.

However, it is still more of a challenge than the other quests. Rescuing Anya was just a dungeon crawl, and you get the +10 resists ** and ** a class specific rare item. rescuing those barbs in the frigid highlands presents little challenge in standard LoD and you get the three runes to make a godly shield with. My point is that the quest rewards seems a bit askew that you really don't get anything for taking on a quest that is clearly more dangerous than the preceding ones.

I have observed that HC players avoid Nihlathak like the plague, at least in later difficulties, and like most quests in the game, some builds will find it easy, some not. A paladin can just Charge in and ignore the minions. Ranged builds will have more problems with the minions running interference. If they have a tank (Valk, necromancer, etc.) then they can't avoid killing some of the minions in the room.

SaTaN

Post by SaTaN » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:00 am

nihlathack needs be crazyer I WANNA SEE 40X teh monsters and like 5 x the dmg not that he doesnt kill me enuf lol

Fireheart

Post by Fireheart » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:16 am

Satan, I'm beginning to think you're a masochist with a Capital M.....

For those of us who don't think that kicking the computer is an art form....

I agree. A personalized item is an awful gift.

The good news is, I can easily re-define what he drops. I could do anything from telling him exactly what item (or item type) to drop to giving him a pick from Diablo's drops, to making him drop only a unique, only a rare, etc, etc.

What do people think would be fair?

SaTaN

Post by SaTaN » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:03 pm

i jsut wanna see sum invisable boss heh 1 that ic an shot 2 beat not baal btw sure if hes stronger than baal it messes witht eh storyline but i dont care BRING ON THE CORPSE ESPLOSION! hehehei wanna see my barb wiht like 6000 life get mowed down!

Fireheart

Post by Fireheart » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:18 pm

The day you have a barbarian with 6000 life is the day I hang up my hat as a failure of a mod-writer--

Unless, of course, you're getting hit my regular creatures for 2000 damage. But there's no NEED to scale like that in Diablo II so I never would. Why use big numbers for the sake of big numbers?

SaTaN

Post by SaTaN » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:53 pm

cuz big numbers are cool what i was gettina t is i want there 2 be a monster that jsut blows peoples pants off 1 that takes liek 8 lvl 99 cahrs of each class 2 beat it has 2 be a balanced moster that is hard for every class 2 kill

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:13 am

SaTaN, you should slow down and catch your breath, you are almost incoherent. Also AOL-speak is frowned upon here, we have a large contingent of members for whom English is a second language, so spell things out properly while you are catching that breath.

A monster that takes eight L99 characters of each class to beat cannot be beaten since only eight players can come in at one time...your specification calls for 56 players in the game.

Large numbers cause problems, as this thread in the Zy-El Forum aptly demonstrates. The game algorithms must work within 32-bit integer math constraints. And Fireheart has no plans to do any coding changes even if we knew how to rewrite the algorithms for the larger numbers.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

SaTaN

Post by SaTaN » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:37 am

hehe srry if i exagurated what im gettinna t is im lookin for a unbeatable moser alittle of the track of the game so i always ahve somthing 2 shoot for u know a ultimate goal for all my chars a reason 2 keep on making more in hopes of beating it and as for my "teh" its just a old thing i ahve been down in know way conected 2 l33t sp3ak hehe

Return to “Tactics Central”