Replacing Walking Animation with Running

This is the place to discuss all issues relating to the manipulation of graphics/animations, sounds, music and cinematics within Diablo 2.

Moderators: Necrolis, Nefarius

Unicarn
United States of America

Replacing Walking Animation with Running

Post by Unicarn » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:39 am

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum since I don't want to edit the media itself.

I want to make players use their running animation while walking. I have found a way to do it (replace all of their walking and town walking .dcc and .cof files with copies of the running .dcc and .cof files).
However, this is very bloated (nearly 6,000 files !) and I was wondering if there was a better way of going about it. I don't know very much about Diablo 2 animation editing so maybe I'm missing a place where I can define the animations used for WL and TW modes or anything along those lines?

I'd prefer to avoid code editing because of the limitations with code editing (no cross-platform and much harder to port between different versions of Diablo 2)

Also I'd just like to thank the people who've been posting on the forums and maintaining the forums all these years. The extensive knowledge bases and endless forum posts for nearly everything has made making my mod that I've been working on the past few months possible.

Doh - I just found a thread for this exact thing
viewtopic.php?t=51951

Edit: So now I have two options of doing it, either changing the tokens or using the replaced animations. One issue I've noticed is that the walking and town walking animations are faster (for more animations) than the running animation. When using the animation replacement method, I tried changing the animation speed in animdata.D2 but it doesn't appear to change it (I even changed the animation speed to ridiculous speeds like 1 and 999 and it still plays at the same rate). To test whether my animdata.D2 file was even applying correctly, I did change the amount of frames to play and it did apply like expected (don't worry, I put it back to the value it should be :p)
Last edited by Unicarn on Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ocarinas

Re: Replacing Walking Animation with Running

Post by ocarinas » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:03 am

Open PlrMode.txt, find "Walk" row and change its token column from WL to RN.

Unicarn
United States of America

Re: Replacing Walking Animation with Running

Post by Unicarn » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:52 am

ocarinas wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:03 am
Open PlrMode.txt, find "Walk" row and change its token column from WL to RN.
I don't recommend doing this, and recommend instead replacing the walking animation files with the running animation files and adjusting animdata.D2.
Doing this results in your weapon not drawing when changing weapons mid-walk. Found this out while switching from katars to a bow and saw my bow was invisible until I stopped moving.
Replacing the animations avoids this issue.

Return to “Multimedia”