DC6 Maker Issue

This is the place to discuss all issues relating to the manipulation of graphics/animations, sounds, music and cinematics within Diablo 2.

Moderators: Necrolis, Nefarius

DragonlorSCB
United States of America

DC6 Maker Issue

Post by DragonlorSCB » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:56 am

What file format (and program) do I need to save images in for the DC6 Maker 3 program to properly adapt that image for use in Diablo 2?

So currently the only way I've been able to create images and get them into my mod is to use good ol' MS Paint, save the image as a 256 color Bitmap and then use DC6 Maker to convert it to a DC6 image file. This worked alright for items but for the skill tree background images the colors are so distorted (by having to initially save it as a 256 color bitmap) that it makes the mod difficult to play. The background has numerous transparent pixels and the color scheme makes you want to puke.

DC6 Maker can't seem to read regular 24/32 bit bitmap files. I tried Paint.net and saving it as 8 bit but the image comes up completely black. I don't know how to get my images set up in a way that DC6 Maker can read them without horribly distorting my images beforehand. How do the pros do it?

Devangell
Belgium

Re: DC6 Maker Issue

Post by Devangell » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Hello

I use Photoshop to create/ edit my pictures and save them as .bmp files. With PS I can change the image mode from RGB to index with 8 bit, which makes it compatible with the game and save it with D2 palette.
In DC6 Creator you can also choose 'Palettes' for your image frames. This is also needed for different UI images or items.
Haven't tried it yet with Paint because the editing option are quite limited compared to PS, but after a quick check everything seems normal. (haven't tested it ingame though)
Perhaps you could share a screenshot of your ingame UI and the DC6-file to see how it looks in your mod.

Grtz

DragonlorSCB
United States of America

Post by DragonlorSCB » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:08 am

I'm hoping to find a free image editor that will save it properly. I've attached an image of what it currently looks like in-game.

When I save it with Paint the colors take on a bluish tint and enough pixels turn black to render them transparent when DC6 Maker converts the image.
WarpedBG.jpg

Devangell
Belgium

Post by Devangell » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:52 pm

I just did a quick check using MS Paint and this is my outcome:

saved as 256 clourmap:

saved as 24 bitmap:

So basically, you should save it as 24 bitmap and then it would be fine.

DragonlorSCB
United States of America

Post by DragonlorSCB » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:14 am

That image solved all my problems, thank you!

I was using DC6 Maker which wasn't able to read the 24 bit files but I saw you are using DC6 Creator. I downloaded that instead and it resolved all my issues.

Devangell
Belgium

Post by Devangell » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:48 pm

No probs!

Good luck with further modding

Aptably
United States of America

Post by Aptably » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:03 pm

DragonlorSCB wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:56 am
What file format (and program) do I need to save images in for the DC6 Maker 3 program to properly adapt that image for use in Diablo 2?

So currently the only way I've been able to create images and get them into my mod is to use good ol' MS Paint, save the image as a 256 color Bitmap and then use DC6 Maker to convert it to a DC6 image file. This worked alright for items but for the skill tree background images the colors are so distorted (by having to initially save it as a 256 color bitmap) that it makes the mod difficult to play. The background has numerous transparent pixels and the color scheme makes you want to puke.

DC6 Maker can't seem to read regular 24/32 bit bitmap files. I tried Paint.net and saving it as 8 bit but the image comes up completely black. I don't know how to get my images set up in a way that DC6 Maker can read them without horribly distorting my images beforehand. How do the pros do it?
We must not forget about the CMYK format, since it will be responsible for the correct transmission of colors, and it is quite different from RGB, so it might be worth it, for example, to select colors according to the hex code here https://create.vista.com/colors/color-names/mint/ and substitute them correctly so that there is no distortion in the colors.

Return to “Multimedia”