Sounds.txt : Replacing Sounds Issue

This is the place to discuss all issues relating to the manipulation of graphics/animations, sounds, music and cinematics within Diablo 2.

Moderators: Necrolis, Nefarius

DragonlorSCB
United States of America

Sounds.txt : Replacing Sounds Issue

Post by DragonlorSCB » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:03 pm

I've been looking to replace the wave files listed in Sounds.txt with custom wave files but I've run into a problem. I've been building and testing my mod in -direct -txt mode and it seems like the existing Sounds.txt fields are only pulling their data straight from the MPQ files and ignore everything in my data folder. If I plug in a custom sound of the exact same name and path it will still pull the sound from the MPQ file instead. If I plug in a sound from a custom location it won't load at all. What am I doing wrong?

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: Sounds.txt : Replacing Sounds Issue

Post by Cypress » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:47 pm

I don't really know much about working with sounds, just how I get them to work for my own stuff. For my mod, for the file uzefir00.wav, I use the directory data\global\sfx\ersatz, and I fill the filename column with "ersatz\uzefir00.wav".

For the sake of testing, I also went and added in a custom sound, renamed it to blow1 and placed it into data\global\sfx\combat\impact and it replaced the normal punching sound just fine, so patching the sounds with -direct -txt should work.

Also, do note that the wav files you use must have specific settings. I think the proper settings are mono or stereo, 22050 hz and 16-bit.

Devangell
Belgium

Re: Sounds.txt : Replacing Sounds Issue

Post by Devangell » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Could be a small typo in your file name or directory path. I replaced several existing sounds with new ones and everything works fine. Just make sure your new sounds have the exact same name and are in the exact same folder as the original one. Everything should be placed in the corresponding folder under 'Data\Global\SFX'. The right filepath can be find in the FileName-column in sounds.txt.
From my experience, I can say that every existing sound is hardcoded regarding the filepath and filename. So loading from a custom folder won't work, unless it's a complete new sound you added in sounds.txt.

Return to “Multimedia”