A guide to make new fonts in less than 5 mins

This is the place to discuss all issues relating to the manipulation of graphics/animations, sounds, music and cinematics within Diablo 2.

Moderators: Necrolis, Nefarius

Wasp
France

A guide to make new fonts in less than 5 mins

Post by Wasp » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:02 pm

Hello everyone, after a couple of days of searching, testing, and debugging, i ended up making a new font for Diablo 2 from an existing ttf/otf font found on the internet.

Since the lackluster info about fonts is really spread all over the place, i decided to centralize all the info into a guide, alongside a github repo, to enable people to make their own font very easily, without needing particular knowledge. It also allows you to share your work, whether it is a new tool, guide or font, but also for anyone to download a specific font.

Here is an example of what a home made font might look like: Image
I will not copy paste here the .md guide i made available on the git repo (except if I'm required by a mod) since it's subjected to many changes and is also on a public repo.

Feel free to contribute, merge, fork, modify the guide.
Here's the gitlab url : https://gitlab.com/Wasps/diablo-2-fonts.git
Have fun.

Edit (17/11/2020): I have made significant changes to the python script. It now allows the user to make multiple font's BMP files in an instant. Also I have modified the guide so you only require D2FontEditor, python and pillow to use it. Making a font takes around 2-3 mins, most of which is offset adjustments. I am aware of Caimiao's tool, but this one is functional, easily modifiable, open source, and documented.
Last edited by Wasp on Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jessedazebra
Paladin
Zimbabwe

Re: A guide to make new fonts in 10 mins

Post by jessedazebra » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:04 am

Awesome. I'll give it a try tomorrow and share everything ofc. Thanks. :D
Edit: what should I do with overlapped letters? Changing Offset Y doesn't seem to be working.

Wasp
France

Re: A guide to make new fonts in 10 mins

Post by Wasp » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:02 pm

The vertical line is the border/offset where the next char get drawn. Iirc it is the y axis
Edit: No i {filtered} up, i wasn't on my pc at the time. it is indeed the X axis. Don't forget to export your offsets when you are done tweaking.

Return to “Multimedia”