Importing custom graphics

This is the place to discuss all issues relating to the manipulation of graphics/animations, sounds, music and cinematics within Diablo 2.

Moderators: Necrolis, Nefarius

JayBrainDead

Importing custom graphics

Post by JayBrainDead » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:43 am

I must start by saying, Image editing is definetly one of the things I am most ignorant about so here's my question
How would i go about importing a jpg image with an embedded color profile into d2 ?

Im using GIMP to convert the image to pcx/bmp and Dc6Creator to convert it to Dc6
which worked fine in the past for simple task editing some default D2 images (Dc6 to Pcx then Pcx to Dc6)

This time im trying to import an image that is not from the game to use as Health/Mana orbs, with no luck

-Ive tried converting the color profile to the default GIMP built-in sRGB the image look fine both in pcx or bmp
but when converting it to dc6 its messed up (wrong colors and dimensions) image looks distorted
-Ive tried keeping the embedded color profile, with the same result

Is it because I need to apply a specific "Color Palette"? If so, how?

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Re: Importing custom graphics

Post by Necrolis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:09 pm

D2 has a very limited color palette (8bit); especially if you need cross act compatibility. For your case you will need to use the Units palette, these are colors that are available in every act. This is normally referred to as indexed mode mode editors, you can find the palettes in our file center.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

JayBrainDead

Post by JayBrainDead » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:52 pm

Necrolis wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:09 pm
This is normally referred to as indexed mode mode editors, you can find the palettes in our file center.
This was a perfect explanation, thank you

Edit : How do you apply a palette to an image, it seems selecting the units palette in dc6creator only previews it with said palette
because the result in game never changes no matter what I select before saving to dc6

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:49 am

For dc6creator, you select the palette first, then import the image.
Official Phrozen Keep Discord
Common Modding tools: link
My Resource Packs: link

JayBrainDead

Post by JayBrainDead » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:59 am

HarvestWombs wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:49 am
For dc6creator, you select the palette first, then import the image.
I never tought I could love a man so much!

That was the piece of the puzzle I was missing, I was just about to scrap the idea
Both of you were so helpful :), I'll even be able to fix some other gfx I imported earlier

Return to “Multimedia”