Shrines

Information and updates for the Dark Alliance mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Ogodei, Darque, Yohann, afj666, Diabolic Studios Dev

No votes

Total votes: 0

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Shrines

Post by kingpin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:15 pm

I have during the last weeks working on softcode shrines and have recoded everything related to shrines from scratch. With this it will be easy to implement complete new shrine effects or alter existing ones.

Shrines is split into 5 main groups + shrines that got removed by either me or was already by Blizzard.

• Buffs
• Events
• Item upgrades
• Resource
• Special
• Removed Shrines

Buff Shrines
Gives temporal buff to player. Most shrines you can keep the different buffs up at the same time. But, resistance shrines you can only have one buff up at same time.

An example of a slight chanced existing shrine.

Sparkling Shrine (old name Experience Shrine)
50% more experience on kills and from quests
Duration: 3 minutes
Restrictions: min map level 1
Nifty phrase: Some experience is gain by touch

An example of a new shrine that have been added.

Quiet
Gives the players vitality as buff (same as the players current vitality)
Restriction: min map level 10
Nifty phrase: The essence of life flows from within…

Example Screenshot 1
Example Screenshot 2

Resource Shrines

An example of Resource shrine that got slight altered

Spiritual Shrine (old name Mana Recharge shrine)
Gives +400% resource regeneration, for Barbarians they gain +400% more rage on abilities that generate rage.
Restriction: min map level 1
Nifty phrase: Your spiritual force recovers quickly

A complete new shrine (that comes from Diablo 1)

Eldritch Shrine
Upgrades all your health and mana potions in your belt and inventory to rejuvenation potions
Duration: permanent
Restriction: min map level 10
Nifty phrase: Crimson and Azure become as the sun

Item Upgrades
Item upgrade shrines either upgrade existing items (like gems) or drop new items (like exploding potions)

Exploding Shrine
Drops 5-10 exploding potions. In nightmare/hell it will drop improved potions instead.
Nifty phrase: Death’s advocate approaches

Next shrine play on the theme with body parts.

Hidden
One equipped item looses 4 max durability permanently, and rest equipped items gains +2 Max durability permanently.
Nifty phrase: New strength is forged through destruction

Special Shrines
Those shrines is what's basically leftover that doesn't fit into the other groups. This is special shrines with some unique effects.

Monster Shrine
A random monster within range becomes an unique Boss.
Nifty phrase: Death’s advocate approaches

last shrine to reveal.

Religious Shrine
All equipped items is fully repaired
Nifty phrase: Time cannot diminish the power of steel

That's all shrines I reveal at this time. The goal is to add new shrines that gives an interesting effect and to give more variation between types of shrines.

Removed Shrines
Shrines below is removed/not reimplemented because they are either to strong, or uninterested.

Health Exchange Shrine (Already removed by Blizzard). This is a positional game breaker effect and doesn’t feel like an interesting shrine enough to use it. The implementation Blizzard added between removed percent health, and added 5 times more mana. You could get an infinite mana with this way. As it add current mana and allowed go past max mana and nothing that prevented you to repeat this process and current health always can regain.

Some have suggested this is a bug, and that they intended to swap between max health/mana. As their own shrine notes say it swaps current (not max) it's not bugged. It probably got disabled because of the game breaking effect.

Mana Exchange Shrine (Already removed by Blizzard). This is a positional game breaker effect and doesn’t feel like an interesting shrine enough to use it. See my comment on health exchange shrine.

Shrine of Enirhs: Reverse the characters name. It’s a fun effect, but players would probably get very annoyed to get their name reversed and would after know the shrine just skip pick it up. It's also bugged and don't change the client side of name. Even if they coded it so it should have worked. They probably mixed something's up, in the code and as I'm not interested to figure that part out. The only time I could see this abit of fun would been curse related quest. But, that's a different matter as once curse is gone name would reverse back to normal.

All skill Shrine: The effect is really strong with Dark Alliance skill system. The current incarnation of the shrine even on +1 level would be to good. I have limited +all skills, and it exist on a few items. I could turn this shrine into a different effect to either reduce resource timer (problem is some classes wont get much of use of this, so isn't that good idea) or alternative give a single class buff. That only have an information issue as how players will know what skill it buffed. So, for now +skill related shrine wont be included.

I'm also always open for ideas for new shrine effects. The more unique they are, the more interesting will I be to implement it.

JDS
Paladin

Re: Shrines

Post by JDS » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Here are some ideas:
*drops gold
*moves you to a random feasible position (on the same map?)
*moves you to another map with strong monsters and good drops
*moves you to a waypoint in the same map or to the exit (not sure if this is implementable)
*curses you
*makes a random item indestructible
*makes a random item ethereal
*rerolls an item in your inventory (magic or rare)

EDIT:
*kills your merc and all minions
*improve AC of one item
*improve max-dmg of one item
*modify stats

Note that in my mod all shrines have the same name and it's not possible to know in advance what will happen...

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:48 pm

thanks for the ideas.
*moves you to a waypoint in the same map or to the exit (not sure if this is implementable)
This wouldn't be to hard to implement for me. In all levels you get by default then port to the level to closest waypoint. If map doesn't have a portal special tile that overrides it.

Otherwise it wouldn't be to hard find the portal object and take posx/y from it.

*moves you to another map with strong monsters and good drops
This is a shrine that is implemented, but is a great idea. Only slight difference is that it's a portal that opens up to the level, and not take you there directly. The portal destination is randomized (between set of treasure maps) and map enemies scale with your level.

Overall I like ideas that gives unique effect. Effects that permanent enhance something's needs to be limited to not get out of hand.

Reroll stats isn't a bad idea, but probably suit my obelisks more.

*kills your merc and all minions
This one isn't bad, it could be extended to give you a quest that need to be solved before you can summon/get your merc back alive again.

Note that in my mod all shrines have the same name and it's not possible to know in advance what will happen...
hehe, that can be quite evil with cursed effects.

JDS
Paladin

Post by JDS » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:14 pm

You're welcome.
kingpin" wrote:
hehe, that can be quite evil with cursed effects.
It also allows me to add stronger permanent effects. If you can't predict that the effect will be good for you, it's a gamble to take the shrine. However it only works if at least some of the permanent effects are negative.

Return to “Dark Alliance”