Preview of chapter 2 content

Information and updates for the Dark Alliance mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: kingpin, Ogodei, Darque, Yohann, afj666, Diabolic Studios Dev

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Preview of chapter 2 content

Post by kingpin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:25 pm

While we are working on finish the first chapter for the public. We have been working on continue develope the mod pass this.

Early on we had plan to release preview version, alpha, beta, final. But, as the mod take alot of time to complete we may change this schedule abit. We may release the second chapter to public before we consider this to get into alpha phase as pre-alpha release.

Arena
Second town Lut Gholein will contain an arena. Where players can fight to become the champion. There will be a champion master outside the arena that allows you to enter it for a fee. In here you will fight alone against a fighter. For each fight this becomes harder and harder.

There is also plans on make a PVP Arena aswell (players get automatically flagged pvp then they enter the arena). But, wont appear before after chapter 2.

Two more classes is enabled
We will make Barbarian and Necromancer available then the second chapter is released.

Barbarian will be very different to anything else. He will completely lack the possibility to use mana. Instead we are introducing a new rage system for him. With the rage he will be able to use his abilities. More details about the rage system will be up then we preview Barbarian class.

Necromancer will aswell be different. He will no longer have skills that not really fit into the class (like golems). Instead the Necromancer will be like he should been from beginning.

New never seen affixes
There will be several new affixes that never been seen before.

Some of them are:

* Reduce Hireling Ressurect cost by x%: As it say. it will lower the cost to ressurect your hireling.
* Additional Life gain at Levelup. This stat will add additional life then you levelup.
* Additional Mana gain at Levelup. This stat will add additional mana then you levelup.
* %chance increased to find X. Where X can be anything from easier find gems, spellscrolls e.tc. (note: The treasure related stats have been moved out of planned chapter 2 content release and will be released in the second patch for preview version. You can read more about it here

New dungeons and outdoor areas
The second chapter will continue to add content in same way as chapter1 done. You will find new dungeons and new outdoor areas to visit.

Class specific craft system
The player based class specific craftsystem will be implemented. The item system have already been prepared for this in first chapter. Each class will have an unique craft profession. That only his class can do.

First craft profession is preview below:

Alchemy
This will be a sorceress craft profession. With this he will be able to make potions that will add buff over a limited of time then it's used. The sorceress can trade potions to other players aswell.

New storage boxes
We will introduce new storage boxes where you can store items in. The current bags (that is introduced in chapter 1) will use this aswell. The storage boxes have it's own inventory and ofcourse save it's content.

I have already implemented the first version of this in the code and it can currently contain 1 item :)

Quest system will be improved
There will be several improvement to the quest system implemented.

This include:

* Multiple rewards to choose from: You will be able to select between different items and choose your reward.

* NPCs will be able to give out multiple quests. This from a new submenu. Where you can choose what quests you want to accept.

* Stackable quest items. We will introduce stackable quest items. This, to save space then you need collect multiple items of same type.

* Improved gui for gain experience, legendpoints, killed X/monsters. There will be an improved gui to see then you have gained experience, legendpoints from subquests. You will also easier track how many quest mobs you killed in quests where you need kill X monsters. to complete the quest.

New items
There will be alot of new stuff related to items, as uniques, spellscrolls, sets, base items, oils, gems to name a few.

This is some of the content that will be in the chapter 2. We are always open to suggestions on this thread aswell.

Revamped Character Classes
Revamped character classes: Sorceress, Druid and Paladin.

All 3 classes in preview version will have it's roles, skilltree's a complete overlook. Some old skills will be removed, moved between tree's and aswell new skill's will be added. The General Tab will be removed and replaced with a 4rth class tree.

AI Improvements
* The AI in general will be improved in several ways.
* A threat table will be added that will handle each individual units base threat. It's more likely a player as example get attacked then one of his minions if both is in the awarness distance to monster.
* Spirit Totems will have lowest threat initial. Offensive spirit totems will have general higher base threat compare to defensive totems.
* Spirit Totems threat will increase over time.
* All AI's will be recoded and tweaked.
* Special monster classes: Veteran, Elite, Leader and morph will have more offensive AI compare to it's base AI. It will also be able to use skills the AI normally don't have access to.
Last edited by kingpin on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Nameless
Forum Legend
Power

Re: Preview of chapter 2 content

Post by Nameless » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:45 am

kingpin";p="365429" wrote: * Reduce Hireling Ressurect cost by x%: As it say. it will lower the cost to ressurect your hireling.
* Additional Life gain at Levelup. This stat will add additional life then you levelup.
* Additional Mana gain at Levelup. This stat will add additional mana then you levelup.
I must say that I dislike these three mods very much.

My main problem is that these mods will force a certain playstyle on the player which is something that I dislike. All of them will lead to lots of item swapping since these mods don't do anything useful during normal play, but only in very specific and rare situations. Wear normal gear most of the time and (TP to town and) only throw on the items with these mods just before you level up or when you have to res your merc.

The first two will also give twinkers an even bigger advantage since they'll (probably) be able to wear items with these mods earlier than other characters. Other characters will be forced (if they want to get the max benefit from the first two mods) to farm the first monsters that can drop items with those two mods (or farm low level monsters for gold to gamble these items) so they can get them at the lowest possible moment to have as many "improved" levelups as possible.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 am

Nameless";p="410499" wrote:
kingpin";p="365429" wrote: * Reduce Hireling Ressurect cost by x%: As it say. it will lower the cost to ressurect your hireling.
I must say that I dislike these three mods very much.

My main problem is that these mods will force a certain playstyle on the player which is something that I dislike. All of them will lead to lots of item swapping since these mods don't do anything useful during normal play, but only in very specific and rare situations. Wear normal gear most of the time and (TP to town and) only throw on the items with these mods just before you level up or when you have to res your merc.

The first two will also give twinkers an even bigger advantage since they'll (probably) be able to wear items with these mods earlier than other characters. Other characters will be forced (if they want to get the max benefit from the first two mods) to farm the first monsters that can drop items with those two mods (or farm low level monsters for gold to gamble these items) so they can get them at the lowest possible moment to have as many "improved" levelups as possible.
I totally agree with what nameless is saying(look at +x% reduced vendor prices in other mods), what might improve them though is to make them saved stats gain from quests, so that they aren't bound to items[this could fit with another feature that you've spoken about]
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:34 pm

This is a vallid concern.

This is same problem for all type of affixes that improve chance for drop (magic find), reduce vendor cost, increased LP on kill. For twinking it's easy to solve techical. As there is possible to make the item with those kind of stats bound to you. So, you will never be able to use it on your twink.

Remember you have your book of knowledge. Very specific stats are always able to go into the book as a page. For second chapter there is still alot left to implement, and still new ideas that comes up. IF something's doesn't work out, or is obvious broken it wont see in the public release or if it slip past into a public release it will always be removed in any future patches.

I totally agree with what nameless is saying(look at +x% reduced vendor prices in other mods), what might improve them though is to make them saved stats gain from quests, so that they aren't bound to items[this could fit with another feature that you've spoken about]
Will see what happend. But, for sure something's to take into consideration.

EDIT:

2010-08-31 Added info about upcomming AI changes.

weapon-x
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
Philippines

Post by weapon-x » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:22 am

greetings !,

DA is the best code-based mod i have ever played...
looking at the stuff right here really inspires me to mod...

by any chance, is there a vacant spot in your dev team sir :)

it'll be an honor to be a part of a great mod, hehe
" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "

~Mark Twain

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:30 am

weapon-x" wrote:greetings !,

DA is the best code-based mod i have ever played...
looking at the stuff right here really inspires me to mod...

by any chance, is there a vacant spot in your dev team sir :)

it'll be an honor to be a part of a great mod, hehe
I'm working alone mostly nowdays so it's not impossible.

We can discuss that in a pm :)

Return to “Dark Alliance”