Need tips to level merc..

Information and updates for the Zy-El mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: d2vern, Kato

taosk8r
Paladin

Need tips to level merc..

Post by taosk8r » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:12 am

So, I'm using a cold merc with my new pally.. She's at 24, I'm at 35, and I'm trying to get her to close the gap in our levels..

About the only strategy for this I know of is to start at the Blood Moor at players 127, but this is taking agonizingly long still, and IDK that she is catching up really, since I keep gaining levels.

I tried letting her get this actual kills, but not only does this appear to take extra long, but it doesn't really seem to give her all that much more exp than when I'm doing the killing.

Any ideas?

Edit: I'm also thinking perhaps avoiding exp shrines is a good thing, since afaik she won't benefit from them, correct?

Hellwolf_36
Champion of the Light

Re: Need tips to level merc..

Post by Hellwolf_36 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:12 am

There is a gap between the player and merc's level that changes as your levels increase, so you may need to increase your own levels.

Also, your merc only gets 33% experience from the kills you make, provided the level of the merc and yourself is >= to the victim's level. She will get 100% if any of the following conditions are true (assuming the previous condition of merc lvl >= mons lvl is true in all 3 scenarios):
  • Your mercenary delivers the final blow to the victim
  • A summon controlled by you kills the victim
  • The mercenary hasn't reached the level limit between you and yourself
To check your level limit, kill a few monsters with the mercenary screen open. If the mercenary isn't getting XP, then the level limit is reached. You will have to gain levels before she can get some with you.

Your merc cannot exceed level 8000. As of v4.3, mercs also do not get spell levels every level. This was done to avoid making the mercs (especially the Cold Rogue and her Baal's Cold Wave) from killing monsters too easily.

taosk8r
Paladin

Post by taosk8r » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:21 am

Interesting.. So, she is gaining exp, so it sounds like she should be getting 100% since I'm doing Blood Moor baddies.

IIRC the level limit is 2 levels below your char?

Ignaitus
Champion of the Light

Post by Ignaitus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:28 am

I think so, unless Zy-El coded the game otherwise.

Hellwolf_36
Champion of the Light

Post by Hellwolf_36 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:12 am

It increases every 20 levels or so. At one point, I had a differential of like 30 levels between me and my merc.

Xeigho

Post by Xeigho » Fri May 06, 2011 2:36 pm

ive found the easiest way to level a merc at lower levels is to get a ring with bear charges on it. then let your bear tank and the merc fire into the fray too.
'Seriously, barb would benefit us much more, and Paladins are much weaker. Plus a bald guy with a insanely huge sword scares me more than some fancy prick with a mace' ~ Stingray

DreamworldUC

Post by DreamworldUC » Mon May 16, 2011 6:07 pm

So I am lvl 36 and my merc is 22, he is not gaining any xp. This means Im not past the lvl limit yet?

szabeeka

Post by szabeeka » Thu May 19, 2011 5:52 pm

So i dont feel like making an own topic..
I got a cold rogue and the problem is shes not getting shout, whereas summons do receive. She has dmg so i need her, but shes like 1 hit at act 3 coz no shout.
Some games she get shout others - most of the time dont. Changed eq. mayb bugged items, but still. What could be wrong?

JrEye
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by JrEye » Thu May 19, 2011 7:47 pm

i believe merc level cap is 75%ish of your clvl
Zy-El Wiki | Facebook |
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Thu May 19, 2011 8:40 pm

80 percent actually. that also explains why maxlvl is 8000 for them ;)
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

Hellwolf_36
Champion of the Light

Post by Hellwolf_36 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 am

szabeeka" wrote:So i dont feel like making an own topic..
I got a cold rogue and the problem is shes not getting shout, whereas summons do receive. She has dmg so i need her, but shes like 1 hit at act 3 coz no shout.
Some games she get shout others - most of the time dont. Changed eq. mayb bugged items, but still. What could be wrong?
Did you check your Mercenary screen and see if the Defense rating changes?

Besides, in Act 3, LOTS of things are going to one shot kill Mercs. You would need to make a crafted belt with +life/level to counter this. The summons can also frontline to keep the merc from being struck, unless the merc is stupid enough to walk into an enemy.

szabeeka

Post by szabeeka » Fri May 20, 2011 9:09 am

Hellwolf_36" wrote:
szabeeka" wrote:So i dont feel like making an own topic..
Did you check your Mercenary screen and see if the Defense rating changes?

Besides, in Act 3, LOTS of things are going to one shot kill Mercs. You would need to make a crafted belt with +life/level to counter this. The summons can also frontline to keep the merc from being struck, unless the merc is stupid enough to walk into an enemy.
Def remains 427...no change ofc i checked it before.
She has 1k life, 2k dmg, and like 15% ll..when she has shout she has time to flee from a few hits, then leech herself to full health.
This is a bug but i cant find a reason why is this happening. In SP almost never gets, but in MP the problem doesnt seem to occur that often.

Return to “Zy-El: Trial by Fire”