Diablo II: Visions of Valor Mod

Information and updates for the Visions of Valor mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.
AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:19 am

Excel Excel" wrote:The only bug I had was that the converted monster graphics were small
What do you mean by this?? Do you mean "monster animations I converted to use in the game" or "monsters I had converted with Conversion or Mindblast" or do you mean something else entirely?? One of the chief goals of this mod was to make D2 graphics more friendly. Lemme know what's up. . . .
You should be having Visions. . .

Visions of Valor skin for Diablo II: Lord of Destruction v. 1.10 coming soon.

Excel Excel

Post by Excel Excel » Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:07 am

AngstMerchant" wrote:
Excel Excel" wrote:The only bug I had was that the converted monster graphics were small
What do you mean by this?? Do you mean "monster animations I converted to use in the game" or "monsters I had converted with Conversion or Mindblast" or do you mean something else entirely?? One of the chief goals of this mod was to make D2 graphics more friendly. Lemme know what's up. . . .
The "when they get hit by Conversion/Mindblast" graphics. Oh and here's the 1.15 review of the Golems.

Clay Golem - He looks frosty. I can see this guy dealing cold damage when the mod is fully done. It'd certainly make the clay golem another choice to max rather than the same old iron/fire.

Blood Golem - Scarey! All he needs is to randomly cast terror when hit and he's perfect. He creeps me out totally though.

Iron Golem - It's King Leoric! Oh crap...bet he wants his arm back. Anyway, this was one of my favorite changes cause it combines old skool D1 and gives the old bone boy a nice clanky sound.

Fire golem - What is it? Is it a flaming skeleton? A flaming monkey? All I know is it is on fire.

Bug list: No bugs that I could see (besides the tiny "monster has been converted" graphics but meh). Everything looked and felt pretty kosher.
"How can I pull the trigger when I see that glint in their cute little eyeballs"

DDDiablo
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by DDDiablo » Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:56 am

I didn't encounter any small converted monsters. I converted some but they looked fine to me.........

Is the Nova bug fixed yet? It's really annoying when a cold enchanted boss dies, the game crashes. More often than not it's Lord de sies. :( .

It even crashes my mod! What do you think happened?

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:17 am

I think the problem was that the conversion indicator was very small, not the monsters. Read for comprehension, bro. ;)

As for the issue with Nova crashing your game application, I don't know yet what is causing that. I haven't had this problem and I have gone nuts with Nova using a high fast cast with no ill effects. Let me know what OS you are using and exactly what error message you are recieving when the problem occurs.
Originally posted by DDDiablo
Are you running my mod in concert with another mod?? If so, I can't do anything about it cuz I don't know about the other mod. Please explain.

DDDiablo
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by DDDiablo » Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:56 pm

AngstMerchant" wrote:I think the problem was that the conversion indicator was very small, not the monsters. Read for comprehension, bro. ;)

As for the issue with Nova crashing your game application, I don't know yet what is causing that. I haven't had this problem and I have gone nuts with Nova using a high fast cast with no ill effects. Let me know what OS you are using and exactly what error message you are recieving when the problem occurs.
Originally posted by DDDiablo
Are you running my mod in concert with another mod?? If so, I can't do anything about it cuz I don't know about the other mod. Please explain.
Recall AngstMerchant that you allowed me to use stuff from your mod in mine?

Well, after I inserted it, it still crashes. ;) . Not much that I can do about it except remove it........ Oh well.

I was using XP and I recieved the c000000005 thing. There's not much to do about that.........

I don't understand how you couldn't have gotten it. Maybe you fixed it unknowningly in an update? I should dl the latest version and check.

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:33 am

Recall AngstMerchant that you allowed me to use stuff from your mod in mine?
Uh, d'oh! My bad. . . .sorry, things are a little cluttered in the old casaba melon sometimes.
I was using XP and I recieved the c000000005 thing. There's not much to do about that.........
Jackpot. I'm beginning to notice a pattern here. WindowsXP doesn't seem to like some of my animation changes. Try the Druid animations for the Purifying Cascade (previously Volcano). I bet that will lock it up, also. Let me know about any animation lock-ups you encounter. I believe it has to do with the way the different OS'es handle memory but that's just a theory.

Rakeri

Re: Diablo II: Visions of Valor Mod

Post by Rakeri » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:03 am

This mod is an excellent idea, in the sense of being able to use it on bnet. My two cents: necro curse animation is a bit too much, usually, as a necro, it is important to be able to see through the curse, so please do not make it quite that thick :) Secondly, there seems to be a glitch with changing spells/skills; sorc as an example, using any spell, then switching to teleport and casting. The teleport works, but the graphic from the previous spell is also displayed for some reason.
:)

Excel Excel

Post by Excel Excel » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:20 am

DDDiablo" wrote: I was using XP and I recieved the c000000005 thing. There's not much to do about that.........
that's happened to me when I made an item with too many affixes. I made a rare bow with a jewel with so many abilities, they weren't displayed, next item I put in...BOOM...that exact error. connection?
"How can I pull the trigger when I see that glint in their cute little eyeballs"

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:56 pm

An UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005) error is displayed when windows encountered an invalid condition while running the game. This is a very generic error, and you could be getting it for several reasons, all unrelated to each other.

DDDiablo
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by DDDiablo » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:11 pm

Volcano works though it is strange. But I am sure it is everything you meant it to be ;) .

I don't know why, and yes Alkalund is right, the c however many 0s 5 thing often happens and for very unrelated reasons.

AngstMerchant, you are right I think, but what's the relationship between Nova/Frost Nova/Volcano?

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:08 am

Umm, they all have 'V' in them?? I don't know. . . .
Last edited by AngstMerchant on Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:12 am

Alkalund" wrote:An UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005) error is displayed when windows encountered an invalid condition while running the game. This is a very generic error, and you could be getting it for several reasons, all unrelated to each other.
Hmmm, are you sure that the causes of this error are unrelated?? In cases where I encountered this error and I knew what the cause was, it was reading past the end of file. Any thoughts on that??

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:58 pm

In your case, they could be related. What I'm stating is that it is really hard to spot what could be causing the error, since it can be triggered by so many different things...

When you get this error, you should check the debug file of the game session (D2yymmdd.txt in your D2 folder) and search for something like:

Code: Select all

20:10:08.970 ***** UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005) 
20:10:08.970 Fault address: 6FFC70BC 01:000160BC F:\DIABLO II\STORM.DLL 
This will give the address that gave you the error in one of the dll files. In this example the error occurred in Storm.dll, but you could have other dll listed in here.

Asking in the forums about the address you see in the debug file might help, as someone may know what is being done in the code near that address.

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:58 pm

Good to know!

TOMBSTONE
Paladin

Post by TOMBSTONE » Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:54 am

woot, finally tested out your mod :).

And im really impressed and like alot of the new images for the skills :).

Some of my favourites are the paladins defensive auras. I love the little globe around, making it look like he's actually being protected, not just some thing under his feet :P.

i only had two crashes from it. one from the druids pillar of light thingy (which is cool btw) but it only happened on the first go, worked after that.

and the other was the nova kick from teh sin in lightning blades thing. dont know if it was a 1 time crash like the druids as i didnt try it again.

other than that everything worked.
-----------------------------
If you really want to know, Look in the Phrozen Keep!
Phrozen Keep, its everywhere you wanna be
You like Phrozen Keep. Phrozen Keep likes you

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:00 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback!! Many of the defensive 'force field'-type paladin auras have a cool little top-down animation when they first come on. Get a mercenary and check them out!

Hmm, more crashes. . .what operating system are you using, Tombstone?? Let me know. . .

TOMBSTONE
Paladin

Post by TOMBSTONE » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:35 am

I'm using win2k SP 2.
-----------------------------
If you really want to know, Look in the Phrozen Keep!
Phrozen Keep, its everywhere you wanna be
You like Phrozen Keep. Phrozen Keep likes you

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:45 pm

Diablo II: Visions of Valor version 1.5 now available.

This version features more monster alterations and a few new skill animations. I'm happy to announce that the low-contrast high-value shiny bling-bling flaming monkey that I was attempt to pass off as a fire golem has been replaced. I think the replacement should recieve some positive feedback. I am especially excited about the Sorceress' Energy Shield, which is comprised entirely of original animations.

I think it is safe to say at this point that Visions of Valor animations don't work well with Windows XP. I would warn anyone who has XP that is attempting to use this mod that they will have marginal success and continuous play will not be possible for any period of time. The information on my website will reflect this soon.

And I want to take this opportunity to encourage feedback. I shamelessly endorse sharing any reflections, opinions or criticism players have regarding this mod/skin. If you don't wish to share them here, my address is on the website. Have fun!
Last edited by AngstMerchant on Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:12 pm

Diablo II: Visions of Valor version 1.51 now available

I located the problem with the Druid skill Purifying Cascade so I quickly released a fixed version. Enjoy!
Last edited by AngstMerchant on Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:20 pm

Visions of Valor is now hosted by PlanetDiablo.com. Find the new site at:

http://www.planetdiablo.com/vov/

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:20 pm

That's good news, my congratulations on getting hosted :beer:

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Moved

Post by Phrozen Heart » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:08 am

*This topic has been moved from Non-Hosted Mods to Visions of Valor*

om
Champion of the Light

Post by om » Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:53 am

yo angstmerchant , good job on finishtin the mod-it really seems quite good, but i think u used too many animations from baldurs gate hehe
My new msn: om_silverbolt@hotmail.com
Add me :)

AngstMerchant
Paladin

Post by AngstMerchant » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:03 pm

Actually, most of the skill animation alterations are unused anims from the D2 .mpq file. If you know of a site that provides monster anims that aren't from BG, please lemme know!! :)

om
Champion of the Light

Post by om » Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:09 pm

u can get anims from bg by downloading the demo and getting infinity explorer and u can jsut extract all u want,

diablo 1 had some ok animations, duno how to extract but im shure its possible
My new msn: om_silverbolt@hotmail.com
Add me :)

Return to “Visions of Valor”