General Review Discussion

This forum is exclusively for members to give feedback on the Keep's mod reviews as well for posting your own. NOTICE: Forum temporarily closed down for "renovations".

Moderator: Maxx Power

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

General Review Discussion

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:27 pm

...so we don't accidentally review the same mod multiple times, or are in the process of reviewing one when someone else's review of the same mod suddenly appears (and ends up on the Keep).

Hmmm?

*Title changed to reflect new direction of thread, read fourm rules thread for updated rules* ~Eisead
Last edited by Brother Laz on Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Eisead
Champion of the Light

Re: Maybe we should make a list...

Post by Eisead » Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:39 pm

That would be a great idea. When this started I didn't actully need one. But I guess I'll have to make something.

I've always try to keep a flow of info bewteen my contacts so such a thing doesn't happen, but a list would be a usful thing.

Ponit taken :program:

FoxBat
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by FoxBat » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:24 am

Multiple reviews from different people could grant a lot more insight on a particular mod, by getting around individual biases. Perhaps at the cost of covering all the mods out there, though.

General Nutt

Post by General Nutt » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:22 am

I agree with Foxbat on this one. Multipule reviews on a singular Mod are a good thing. One person may have a very different view of a mod, than another. It could be because of game play styles, length of time playing or just a really crappie week.
Speak softly and carry a big sword or two.

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:06 pm

I agree about multiple reviews as long as they don't take exactly the same stand point as the others or it gets a little tedious ;)
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

General Nutt

Post by General Nutt » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:45 pm

Good Point.
Reading a bunch of reviews that all take the same stance would do more harm than good
, but that why there’s such great staff here at the keep.
Speak softly and carry a big sword or two.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:28 pm

I think the best approach is to make sure no mod is being simultaneously reviewed by multiple people. After a reviews comes out, I'd love to see either full-fledged or mini-reviews come in on the same mod (either to me directly or via posts in this forum) so that we can air multiple views.

That way, people know what's already been written...and they can make their unique view or elaborate/refute points brought up in the previous review(s).
:)
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Eisead
Champion of the Light

Post by Eisead » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:37 pm

The way I see it is, there doesn't seem to be masses of people begging to do mod reviews right now ( :cry: ) so it would be nice to get a alot of differnt mods reviewed.

Second, if anyone did have a review, and it was on the same mod, It could easyly be added to the review already posted. For example, if someone thought Zy-El was the worse thing to happen to Diablo 2 sense D2X, and it was well writen, it would be our duty to post it.

And your right, an angry reviewer is more likely to make an angry review

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:07 am

But back to the point, when's anyone coming out with a damn full review? ;)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:59 am

[quote=PhrozenHeart";p="63717"]But back to the point, when's anyone coming out with a damn full review? ;)[/quote]

lol...still no word from any of the potential freelancers who've contacted me via e-mail in the past several weeks. Eisead is planning a Seasons After review for sometime this week, I think. So far, Brother Laz is the only other person who's produced a word besides Eisead. :(
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:47 pm

Fair enough, just checking :P j/k

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:09 pm

Well I could write a review for the latest BGRuneMod. I've been playing it as much as classic d2. Although to be fair I've been experimenting with mixing mods together. So far i've had "New Dawn Gate" and "SG Rune Trip" freaky stuff, man.

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:40 am

"Hybrid mod" reviewing now huh? ;)

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:37 pm

I can't update the review of SL until FoxBat releases the *µ$ù%* patch he promised a week ago!!

Blah and blah. :(
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:18 pm

[quote="Brother Laz";p="64592"]I can't update the review of SL until FoxBat releases the *µ$ù%* patch he promised a week ago!!

Blah and blah. :([/quote]

Hey don't complain, at least your review is current at the moment ;)

Eisead
Champion of the Light

Post by Eisead » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:06 am

Ok, this topic is starting to drift so I'm going to change the thread title to "General Review Discussion"

Try to keep it on topic; don't post comments about mod reviews, ie "Eiseads Zy-El review is all wrong, this is what I think..." We have threads made for those;

This would be a good place for mod review idea's, writing guilds, and other Review Resources, Infomation, and Suggestions.

Maybe when I'm done with Demon Trip II I'll write an articel on Hyrbrid Mods :)

Edit: I used 'right' instead of 'write', I need to get more sleep
Last edited by Eisead on Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

adamantine
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: General Review Discussion

Post by adamantine » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:00 pm

Hmm, not sure where to link this, but here's a review of every single single mod in EXISTANCE!!!! *Dramatic music*
Lurker Lounge | Amazon Basin | Atma

Don't you know yet who I am / Working harder for the man

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:22 am

Well, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what the originator of that thread had to say, only five mods or maybe six reviewed in very short and dismissive fashion. The main point seemed to be "none of these were mods I was interested in" without ever saying what was missing. And all that while failing to understand that Blizzard has a few advantages over the average mod maker:

1) Source Code
2) A number of people to build the game with
3) Source Code
4) Their developers get paid
5) Did I say Source Code?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:46 am

Also, another fun part. The most mods he mentioned in there was made for 1.09 and compared with 1.10 ;)

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:11 am

Frankly, some people just like to complain about everything. I'd bet money that author complains out to wazoo about how easy vanilla D2 is even though he complains about how hard the mods are.

It boggles my mind that people still have not figured out that, in this game format with skills and items of varying power, one strategy will dominate. Period. The goal is not to "balance everything" but instead to make as many strategies as possible both feasible and fun to play. The point of a mod is to create variety. Different monsters kick your butt. Different spells kick their butt. Different strategies dominate.

And somewhat unrelated, but the complaints about lack of testing drive me nuts too. Mods are generally produced by one or two people. Who generally have jobs or school outside of modding. Whereas Blizzard has teams of people whose jobs are to test. The community of players are the testers.

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:27 pm

I couldn't have put it better myself Kraj, I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Kato
Retired staff
Virtue

Post by Kato » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:06 am

Kraj: very nice! ;)

:arrow: Since we're on the topic of Mod Reviews in general, I would daresay that the review of a mod given by a player would differ in tone compared to a review conducted by a modder - someone who's actually done the "hard" stuff. It's easy for players to dis what they don't understand and expect things which are simply not possible.

"Uh, you added new monsters, why can't you add another player class? I like Rangers. I wanna be Aragorn. How come there's no Rangers in the mod? Well that sux!!! :P "
"Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed." - D.Vader
Zy-El: Trial by Fire Mod Forum: http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=53
Zy-El website: http://www3.telus.net/zyel/index.html Zy-El wiki: http://zyel.wikispaces.com/

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:55 am

Can you add a new class? I'm sick of necro. I wanna play as a stripper. Can you add a stripper?
Some people are just idiots. :lol:
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Sir_General
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Sir_General » Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:56 am

I wanna play as a stripper. Can you add a stripper?
Play as a stripper... forget that! I wanna play with a stripper... :mrgreen: Seriously though, can you say Nude Assassin Mod. I guess when there are lots of idiots out there you have to expect one of them to be able to make something. But I'm sure that reveiwer would have given it low marks... probably wanted a nude amazon or sorceress mod instead.
That's Sir_General with an _. Leave it out and I'll beat you with a rubber chicken.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:29 pm

That rewiev was obviously written by someone whose not open to new things. Oh well if he gets of on kicking modders, we just have to accept that. Still its newer fun when someone tels you that the project you have sacrificed endless hours on is worthless (iv heared this about 100 times and i havent even released a beta yet, they will propably show up at my door with torches the day i release :D ). This makes me wonder why people who hate mod continue playing.

I dont know the reason why others make mods but for me its simply coz its fun, and if there is a d2 fan somewhere out there who enjoyes playing my mod il concider that a reason to keep modding. :)

If it any consulation i bet no modmaker has ever got as mush critisism a blizzard for patch 1.10 oh and 1.9, lets not forget 1.8, 1.7 and the rest. Nothing ever good enough :D

Return to “Mod Reviews”