:::THE WEEKLY FEEDBACK::: Ancients: The Fury Within

This forum is exclusively for members to give feedback on the Keep's mod reviews as well for posting your own. NOTICE: Forum temporarily closed down for "renovations".

Moderator: Maxx Power

No votes

Total votes: 0

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

:::THE WEEKLY FEEDBACK::: Ancients: The Fury Within

Post by Maxx Power » Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:21 pm

I'm opening this forum as a kind of "free for all" for your opinions on a certain mod. I'll be opening one every week or so. This is basically for people who don't want to go to the trouble of writing out a full review for a particular mod, but still want to have their opinions known.

So, in other words, what do YOU think of Ancients?

Incase anyone is wondering what my stance is on it, follow this link to find out what I thought: http://www.d2mods.com/reviews-ancients101.php
And this one for the controvery caused by it: viewtopic.php?t=1959
Last edited by Maxx Power on Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: :::THE WEEKLY FEEDBACK::: Ancients: The Fury Within

Post by Alkalund » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:14 pm

I think you should advertise this topic in the Ancients Forum, otherwise people might not notice it ;)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:49 pm

It's a thought, but hopefully people will poke their heads into this new Review forum and realize that it's a place to comment on mods contructively and to respond constructively to reviews that have been written...and thus notice some of the thread titles and realize that the mod they play is ripe for commentary ;)

Still, I suppose it couldn't hurt to post in the appropriate forum once one of these threads is started. But I'll leave that up to Eisead and Maxx, since they oversee this forum :)
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

DDDiablo
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by DDDiablo » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:10 am

Allow me

I feel that this review is very true, and still true even with the newest version. The place is over populated even in 1.02 and some places are impossible. Seige Beast stomp is an act5 skill and they dare put it in a3? It's the quest where you have to get the eye from the spider now golem thing.

It's impossible. That's why I stopped and never returned. I didn't' get to see the rest of the mod. But otherwise, I like it :)

So to sum it up. Some places are too easy and some are too hard.
Um.... That's it.

beastieboy

Post by beastieboy » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:40 pm

OK . . . I'll have a lash at it. :D

Overall I love the mod. In normal and NM I couldn't get by the Butcher in Jail level 2 (I think) . . . I'd go back after leveling some, but it's a long walk from Jlvl 1 or Catacombs waypoints.

The Seige Beast stomp that spawns in the Spider Cavern were very tough on me and my merc, but was able to prevail.

I think the rate of *good* drops could be a little better, but all in all it's OK.

Oh yeah, and having a few other NPCs selling Blacksmith Hammers would be very nice. It's just a pain to sometimes have to switch difficulty just to buy one.

My first character with this mod is a clvl 50something Bowazon in NM difficulty.

That's it . . . love the mod!

PS - Will the Unique Small Charm bug be fixed in the next release?
Last edited by beastieboy on Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

O'mortus

Post by O'mortus » Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:53 am

A few words would sum this mod up: a limitless cache of potential. I was impressed by the mounds of new items and their inventory graphics. Each of the new weapons with auto-abilities categorizes them into more unique tools of destruction: rather than choosing a higher damage sword over an axe, you could choose an axe that deals three times as much damage to demons and undead over a higher damage sword with %50 increased attack speed. And once you've found a weapon that better suits you, you can further more customize it with more stats to either iron out the flaws or reinforce the strengths. And arguably the best feature of TFW, blending the flexibility of spell books from Diablo 1 with inventory charms from Diablo 2, you can extend the abilities of each character by using passives, auras, and summon skills from each of the other character classes. This allows character classes to shine in new ways, such as a Necromancer taking the role of unparalleled meleer AND spellcaster (My favorite :o ).

The introduction of later-act and stronger, brand new monsters into early acts annihilates the monotonous use of hack-and-slash gameplay, and demands a refreshing use of strategy while sparking to life the forgotten term, "difficulty".

Taking out the often boring and uneeded side-maps and main-quest tunnels and turning them into one 20+ level dungeon with, bosses strong enough to give the most powerful characters a challange, gives a reason for level 100 characters to continue playing and testing their skills.

Every mod and game has their downsides. In my opinion, it'd have to be some bugs that make the difference between living and dying, most of them Blizzard's overlooked mistakes. And least, a few families of annoying monsters that provide no challange, just annoyance and excess time consumption in killing, most of the time being required to be killed for quest completion.

None the less, the best feature of TFW is an important factor for replayibility, what Blizzard's failed to deliver in just about all of their games: customization. 1.02 was great, it literally revived my interest in Diablo 2, and I'm eager to see the changes and fixes in the next version.

uLiKo
Champion of the Light

Post by uLiKo » Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:40 am

I think tfw is very fun but a bit to easy in PVM since u can get to lvl 100 relatively fast and 100+ in your main skills wich make the sorc a bit to overpowerd with 100 c.bolts @ 6k dmg each. And that leave some characters behind since not all got a really good skill and use several half good skills to kill (Druid, Necro) so its not such a big variety in character classes in tfw so some of them could use a boost imho.

Fortunently there is duelling and not only PVM. Duelling a lot of fun since then the lvl isn't everything, you need to play alot and get good gear (fury gems) to get that little extra ability so u can win over your opponent but excesive use of fury gems will make the sorc almost unbeatable in duel too but not many play that much so overall its fun but might need a small increase in difficulty in pvm since not everyone likes duelling
http://www.againsttcpa.com/
Don't let them take your rights!

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:10 pm

OK, time to close shop on this mod for the moment. The general attitude is that TFW is a really good mod, and just about everyone agrees on the flaws and suchforth (the general public has no taste... )

Anyway, this week it'll be Bauldurs Gate Mod for fraternising. So come one come all and let your voice be heard!

Return to “Mod Reviews”