Favorite Mod

This forum is exclusively for members to give feedback on the Keep's mod reviews as well for posting your own. NOTICE: Forum temporarily closed down for "renovations".

Moderator: Maxx Power

Archon

Favorite Mod

Post by Archon » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:12 am

I have been pretty much following the reviews on this forum as a guide on which mods to download, but I would be interested to know which mods are peoples favorite.

Can someone post a poll of the playable mods, asking people to vote for their favorite? I'd really like to know who likes which mod and why. Maybe a mini-review from each person on why they chose the mod they chose.

Just bought 2 MORE copies of LOD, after I loaned my and my fiance copies out and am sure they aren't going to be returned, so I will actually be able to play some of these mods tonight... I can't wait!
Last edited by Archon on Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Favorite Mod

Post by Phrozen Heart » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:29 am

I'd say you should probably check out Cryptforge, Sir_General's rune mod or Eastern Sun to begin with but that's just me ;)
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:33 am

Sanctuary in Chaos and Zy-El are also very good mods to check out, as are Baldur's Gate and The Fury Within. If you are looking for something a little more traditional but better balanced than vanilla D2/LoD, you might try Middle Earth and Seven Lances. You need to follow the link in The Forge forum to SevenLances.com for the latter, that mod is not hosted at xfernet.

so many mods, so little time!!
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:12 am

If you like balance, V&K's MEmod or Seven Lances; if you like overpowered stuff with 10 million damage, try Zy-El; if you just want a mod, then Sanctuary in Chaos. If you can wait a few months for a total conversion, watch for Aeon's Tide or (self-ad) Acid Reign, both with monsters as characters and new skills.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:15 am

[quote=Brother Laz";p="81237"] If you can wait a few months for a total conversion, watch for Aeon's Tide or Acid Reign, both with monsters as characters and new skills.[/quote]

well, aeons is more characters as characters mod, in fact :lol: :mrgreen:
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

Olorin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Olorin » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:44 pm

Well that's unoriginal, isn't it... :roll:

Btw, Archon, Cryptforge is still in beta stages, so don't be surprised if wierd stuff starts to happen. ;)
"For I am Olorin! And Olorin means me!"
"For I also am a steward. Did /you not know?"

mistegirl
Champion of the Light

Post by mistegirl » Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:31 pm

The question is what are you looking for in a mod?

My faves are Fury Within and Zy-El. Both offer a lot of crafting options to make more powerful stuff and customize your equiptment to be just the way you want it.

Zy-El is much more challenging and least forver with a max level of 5,000. Fury requires less crafting so you can spend more time playing than collecting. Fury is no cakewalk either, single player is equil to players 6 from regular LOD.

I started playing Ancestrial Recall, but found it way too easy for my tastes. If you want something about the same difficulty as regular but with lots more stuff dropping that may be the place to start.

Maxx Power
Champion of the Light

Post by Maxx Power » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:23 pm

Incase no one knows, my favourite mod is Sir_General's Rune Mod. He's certainly the most talented modder when it comes to item generation, and the sheer amount of new mods he's coded into the latest version of rune mod is amazing (spectral damage, damage to demons based on number of kills, +% resist all based on vitality, really cool stuff). I await his latest project, HeavenStorm, with great anticipation. It looks like it will be the most original mods ever.

Archon

Post by Archon » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:30 pm

Well, I have tried a bunch of the mods now... I still need to try Zy-El

They ALL look very nice! I REALLY love the way Fury Within looks, but right now, we are deciding between Xyrax and Sanctuary...

I really like the way Xyrax looks, but Sanctuary seems to have done a lot more with the characters.

I hope I have time to really play all these mods, but right now I am looking for mainly different skill sets and effects, especially different maps, and perhaps quests.

Kato
Retired staff
Virtue

Post by Kato » Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:42 pm

:arrow: The latest version 2.4C of Zy-El can be fetched from my sig below. The Keep has not yet uploaded this latest version.
"Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed." - D.Vader
Zy-El: Trial by Fire Mod Forum: http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=53
Zy-El website: http://www3.telus.net/zyel/index.html Zy-El wiki: http://zyel.wikispaces.com/

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:45 pm

[quote=Kato";p="81914"]:arrow: The latest version 2.4C of Zy-El can be fetched from my sig below. The Keep has not yet uploaded this latest version.[/quote]

Ack! That's what I forgot to do last night :roll: ...wasn't able to update the file center before we moved from Planet Diablo...and was waiting until it was up and running. I'll get that up in the file center before I do this weekend's home page update. :)
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Kato
Retired staff
Virtue

Post by Kato » Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:54 pm

:roll: Well, actually, Jeff . . . you may want to hold off. Version 2.5 is expected out in the latter half of April and it is going to be HUGE! More of everything! 8-O

:arrow: You can still put up 2.4C, if you want. ;)
"Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed." - D.Vader
Zy-El: Trial by Fire Mod Forum: http://phrozenkeep.it-point.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=53
Zy-El website: http://www3.telus.net/zyel/index.html Zy-El wiki: http://zyel.wikispaces.com/

Ssergit
Champion of the Light
Location: Running around outside of Lut Gholein, sqashing scorpions

Post by Ssergit » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:32 pm

I've been trying out nearly every mod I can get my hands on, and the standouts for me have been...

Sir_General's Rune Mod -- this is... simply amazing. TOTALLY blows away preconceptions that you have about your items, while leaving you the basics to cling to.
Eastern Sun -- what can I say that others haven't before me? Re-Vamped just about everything, and playable online... if you're big on new items and skills, try this baby out!
Sanctuary In Chaos -- fun, fun, fun till your hubby takes your mousie away....

also, for a lark, try out Phrozen Heart's Cubaholics mod. You can create any set/unique from scratch, as well as easy as pie abilities to re-roll everything...if you've ever gotten exasperated with your lack of mfing ability, try this.

gtg...

edit: wow. just started up Ancients: the Fury Within. Nothing makes you feel like you earned something more than punching 3 foul crow minions to death. I've never been prouder of a 1-5 damage attack! :) this is fun
Last edited by Ssergit on Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dough, the stuff that buys my beer
Ray, the guy who buys my beer
Me, the guy who drinks my beer
Far = a long way to the john
So, I'll have another beer
La--I'll have another beer
Tea? No thanks, I'm drinking beer...
-Homer Simpson

Archon

Post by Archon » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:52 pm

I'm going to fire up Zy-El tonight... looks SWEET!

By the way, what the HELL is an MF run?

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:32 pm

MF run = Magic Find Run (I think)

As in, I'm going to load up on magic find items and go kill something that has good drops (like Pindleskin)
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:38 am

Didn't even know there was a new version of Zy-el out :oops: If Jeff doesn't get the chance to grab a copy tonight, I'll see about getting it uploaded once I've finished moving VKmods and Darkness Weaves onto Xfernet :)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sat Mar 29, 2003 3:10 am

It's my fault on ZyEl...the mod had to be sent to me in pieces (there's a 1.09b and 1.09d version), and I haven't gotten around to putting them all together properly to make the two .zip files for upload. I've been sitting on this for at least two weeks. :oops:
-Jeff Bouley

Kraj
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Kraj » Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:38 am

I won't reiterate previous posts, but to put in my two cents... give Ancestral Recall a try. This is my favorite mod. It has a great combination of tweaked skills and new cube recipies, monsters and areas.

For me, the new areas are where the fun really is. All the superflous levels have been cut and pasted together, making your progress through regular play faster (Cathedral stairs to Catacombs 4...bam!) but also creates new places for you to go. Now, when you go into side places like "The Hole", you may zip down to level 2 and be done with, or you may find yourself on a quest to kill an entirely new monster creation with new abilities.

You won't find much in the way of brand-new skills (I'm pretty sure only the Sorceress has them, and only two at that), new items, or cosmetic changes. And yes, this mod can be easy. I will point out that the readme suggests using "Players X" of at least 4, which I doubt anyone who complains about AR's ease has done.

I'll also add, if you want a mod that is a totally different playing experience, try Descendants of the Dragon from the same author. Each area is designed like a puzzle, requiring cunning and practice to complete. This is the source of its coolness and of my frustration. The patience that it takes to play this mod is incredible. What I really want to do is take and immortal charatcer and browse through all the levels, just to see what he made. But alas, my level 85 Sorceress could hardly do more than be squashed like a bologna loaf in the hydrolic press that is DotD. But its worth a look.

Olorin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Olorin » Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:56 pm

Ooh, what do you mean by "like a puzzle". It osunded interesting, but I was, well not put off, but kind of :), because of the high level chars you must have to start...I think my highest ever was around 60. :)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:02 pm

I think Descendants of the Dragon is a good case for using a character editor. ;) Not that I'm advocating short cuts in general, but making a realistic character of sufficient level for that mod is probably in order so that you don't have to work FOREVER to get a look at it.
-Jeff Bouley

Olorin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Olorin » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:19 pm

Don't let Tek hear you say that, he'll come round and whupp yer ass! 8-O

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:39 pm

[quote=Olorin";p="82579"]Don't let Tek hear you say that, he'll come round and whupp yer ass! 8-O[/quote]

I'm safe until the stock market fully recovers to it's 1990s status. Until then, he'll be too busy rearranging his stocks and continuing to make money to be able to fit an arse-whupping into his schedule ;)
-Jeff Bouley

Olorin
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Olorin » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:48 pm

We'll see, we'll see... :turnevil:
So is that what happened to Tek then? I seem to remember him being voluntarily unemployed - an interesting turn of events if true. :?:

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:05 pm

[quote=Olorin";p="82587"]I seem to remember him being voluntarily unemployed - an interesting turn of events if true. :?:[/quote]

Something like that...hence why he keeps careful and constant eye on his stock portfolio, which is (or at least was) a major source of his income.

Anyway, before we get this topic any more off track... ;)
-Jeff Bouley

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:11 am

[quote=jbouley";p="82512"]I think Descendants of the Dragon is a good case for using a character editor. ;) Not that I'm advocating short cuts in general, but making a realistic character of sufficient level for that mod is probably in order so that you don't have to work FOREVER to get a look at it.[/quote]
From what I recall, Descendants of the Dragon was designed as an ultra hard mod for players that had already beaten Tekno's Ancestral Recall mod in hell difficulty.

Return to “Mod Reviews”