What's stopping us from rewriting Diablo II from scratch?
- Copyright problems? No, otherwise nobody would have been modifying the game files and injecting their own codes into the game. Besides, everything I've seen so far from here is free, so no copyright problems. Also we will be using original files from the original disks so I see no problems.
- Most of the people here knows the game literally inside-out; I've seen huge modifications and lots of hardcoded stuff being modified.
- Time? Well, I think if everyone of us worked together with *a lot* of patience that wouldn't be a huge problem.
- The basic of Diablo II is not complex if you think about it. Brevik and his team finished the game in three years; I'm ready to bet two of these were just for the arts (which we don't have to do); and guess what we already have all the tables as well..
- Using modern tools this would be even easier. Unity, Unreal Engine, Blitzmax2D, etc.
- Replace all the old tools here, or make our own formats to better handle all the stuff that Diablo II needs (maps, animations, graphics, etc.)
- Incredible and numerous amount of bugfixes and improvements we could make, without counting all other thousands of possibilities
The benefits coming from this vastly beat the time and patience required
Sure it's a colossal task, but it's a human task, and we are already half way there.
I forgot to say that there are some guys (or only one? i don't know) who already created a huge portion of Diablo I