Release D2MultiRes

This forum is for members of the public to post any announcements relating to Diablo 2 Mod Making including mod and patch releases amongst other similar subjects.
Sluggy

Release D2MultiRes

Post by Sluggy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:08 am

I haven't really messed with D2 modding in quite some time, and this isn't a mod exactly, but I thought others might be interested in using it so I would make it available. As it's not a mod, D2MultiRes doesn't actually change any of the gameplay elements or anything like that. What it does do is provide other display resolutions for Diablo II.

Essentially it allows Diablo II to enumerate what display resolutions your adapter/monitor support and then makes all the necessary in-game/code changes to allow you to easily pick one and play Diablo II in that resolution. The read-me file included in the ZIP can provide you with more details as well as explain a few of the limitations and current issues.

For those that won't read the read-me, here's a quick run down on install and some stuff you should know. To install it, copy the files from the ZIP into your Diablo II directory (D2MultiResGame.exe, D2MultiRes.dll, D2MultiRes.mpq). You won't need to replace or overwrite any existing files. D2MultiRes will not modify any of your existing files either, all code changes are written to the DLL images loaded into process space. At the moment, it works very well with the GDI (windowed mode) and DirectDraw plugins. For some reason the Direct3D plugin doesn't render correctly - you can play with it but it'll look pretty funky. I can't even attempt to work with the Glide plugin, so you're out of luck on that one. If you want to play in fullscreen, use your D2VidTst.exe to switch to DirectDraw.

If you choose an extremely large resolution you may have a few graphical glitches or it may not keep up at 25 FPS. I was able to test with my highest resolution - 1680 x 1050 and it worked pretty well, though it did get bogged down at times when there was a whole lot going on. I prefer to play in 1600 x 900, which keeps it at a smooth 25 FPS. I had to cut out some optimization in rendering to get it working and I haven't had too much luck putting it back in. Hopefully that will change and it'll be able to handle really high resolutions without much problem.

I'll attempt to provide support, updates and fixes as time permits, so feel free to post problems, suggestions, etc and I'll do what I can. As I can't yet post links, head over to FileFront and search for "D2MultiRes" and that'll get you the download.

EDIT by onyx: Since the link the author of the post provided no longer works, here's an alternate download:

http://rapidshare.com/files/239962145/D ... s-v102.zip
Last edited by Sluggy on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidB111
Paladin

Re: Release D2MultiRes

Post by DavidB111 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:44 am

Hmm, this looks interesting, I might go check it out, though, I will wait until one of the moderators says it's okay. CYA you know.

I for one would liike to see what Diablo II would be like in 1024 x 768 without you know, recompiling the source code myself. :)

Also, what's with this no posting links thing I see on forums, did this forum grab something akin to DRM?
"I am a Golden God!"

"You know, you're a real pain, I can't wait to get you down here."
"Um, well, with all due respect, I'm not a murdering warlord, I'm a member of the fifth estate!"
"Like I said, I can't wait to get you down here."
Lucifer to Nigel, on You are There, Season 6, Xena

Demon9ne
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Demon9ne » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:45 am

If this is a virus, consider me infected.

Does this require a certain version of D2:LoD?

CorniI
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by CorniI » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:40 am

The Readme:

D2MultiRes - Diablo II Multiple Resolution Patch

For Diablo II v1.12a

haven't tried yet :P
Linux is like a Wigwam - NO Windows, no Gates and Apache inside

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:29 am

Have found only multuires.exe, but it does not seem to be for D2, have you deleted it? ( interested too )
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

Sluggy

Post by Sluggy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Also, what's with this no posting links thing I see on forums, did this forum grab something akin to DRM?
It told me I had to have my account for at least 2 days and have made 4 legitimate posts - to avoid spamming I'm sure. I don't meet either requirement since I made the account just for this. Maybe in a few days I can put the link up.
Does this require a certain version of D2:LoD?
As someone else pointed out - Diablo II v1.12a. Probably should have mentioned that.
If this is a virus, consider me infected.
Thanks. I think. I don't suppose the assurances of a (now) two time poster that this isn't a virus are worth much, but whatcha gonna do. Run it through your virus scanners or whatever you can. Better safe than sorry.
Have found only multuires.exe, but it does not seem to be for D2, have you deleted it?
I was able to find it myself just now. Make sure you're searching for "D2MultiRes". If you still can't find it, I'll probably be able to put the link up in a day or two anyway.

dav92
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by dav92 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi,

Because I have found it on filefront and it is really exciting, I will post the link to the download for you.
And here it is:
D2MultiRes on Filefront.com

@Sluggy: if you have anything against it, that I put the downloadlink here, I will delete it.

Sluggy

Post by Sluggy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:10 am

@Sluggy: if you have anything against it, that I put the downloadlink here, I will delete it.
This actually saves me the trouble of doing it myself. Not that I'm really lazy or anything. Thanks.

Sluggy

Post by Sluggy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:51 pm

Update Available - v1.01

Corrected an issue that was causing rooms to fill their object list
and render multiple times. This should great increase the frame rate
all around and eliminate much of the slowdown at zone transitions. I
was able to maintain a smooth 25 FPS at all times with these changes.

Corrected an issue that might cause regular Diablo II to crash when
switching between using D2MultiRes and regular Diablo II. The
resolution you use while playing D2MultiRes will now be stored in
a different registry key, preventing it from interferring with the
normal Diablo II resolution registry key. If you've already used
D2MultiRes and their is an invalid value in your Diablo II resolution
registry key, it will be defaulted back to 800x600 to prevent issues.

dav92
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by dav92 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:43 pm

Here is the download of the newest version, for the person that couldn't find them on filefront:
D2MultiRes v1.01

luciant

Post by luciant » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:37 am

is it possible to use this in conjunction with other mods-- such as eastern sun or median?

edit; actually i cant get it to work at all, when i try to run the game exe it gives an error saying it cant load the multres dll file (even though all the files are in the folder)
Last edited by luciant on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMatze
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by MagicMatze » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:14 pm

Gave it a try with diablo v1.12 and it looks great. Very nice program.

Is there any chance to get it working with Diablo v1.10? Cause that would be awesome to use it in my mod :D

Sluggy

Post by Sluggy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:54 pm

Updated to version 1.02 - use the link to the current version on the top post to download it - here are the notes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes in v1.02
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Corrected the positioning of the Message Log window. The background
will no longer have its upper left corner starting in the middle of
the screen, but instead should be located in the correct position.

Added better support for Direct3D mode with perspective on. There are
still some issues, but a number of the existing issues have been
corrected. The framerate seems to be much slower in D3D (even with the
perspective option off) so DirectDraw is still a better choice.

Changed the drawing of ground tiles/objects to hopefully pick up a
larger area of rooms in larger resolutions and a smaller area in smaller
resolutions. I have noticed there still seems to be some dissappearing
objects on the very edge of the screen in larger resolutions.

Added logging, which will be stored as D2MultiResLog.txt in the current
directory (generally your Diablo II directory). This should provide
more information about errors if they come up.

Changed a bit of code that was preventing the DLL for loading if it was
unable to find the Diablo II standard resolution registry entry. Instead
it will now use a default of 800x600 (this only applies for setting the
resolution to use the first time D2MultiRes is used on a machine).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit; actually i cant get it to work at all, when i try to run the game exe it gives an error saying it cant load the multres dll file (even though all the files are in the folder)
I believe this was caused by the DLL being unable to find the registry entry, something that was just fixed in v1.02. If not, the added logging should help identify where the issue is occurring so feel free to post the log (it doesn't contain anything personal or computer specific).
is it possible to use this in conjunction with other mods-- such as eastern sun or median?
That would depend greatly on the mod. To start, since it's designed for v1.12a then the mod would also need to be compatible with that version of Diablo II. If the mod contains code changes, D2MultiRes may still work, but it would depend on whether or not there are any conflicting code rewrites between the two mods. For the most part D2MultiRes is probably not writing in any of the same spots, however there could be potential conflicts if the mod rewriates some of the D2Client interface code or uses some of the empty sections at the very bottom of D2Client's code section. For mods that change just the TXT files (for example, a simple larger inventory mod that changes inventory.txt), there's no reason it wouldn't be compatiable. D2MultiRes adjusts what's in the TXT file - offsetting it to be in the correct location on the screen. It makes no assumptions about whether it is the vanilla D2 data or modified data.
Is there any chance to get it working with Diablo v1.10? Cause that would be awesome to use it in my mod
Hmm... it might be possible to develop it for other versions. For the most part, I expect the code to be the same, although with different offsets to patch the DLLs and such. I don't see any reason why the rendering code would be drastically different between the versions so that would eliminate a lot of the difficulties of porting it. On the off chance that the code is very different, though, that would make it quite difficult. At the moment I don't really have any plans to bring it to other versions, but if there are other people willing to make an effort I suppose it wouldn't be much trouble to release the source, notes, etc. to help out.

MagicMatze
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by MagicMatze » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:42 am

Sluggy";p="402286" wrote: At the moment I don't really have any plans to bring it to other versions, but if there are other people willing to make an effort I suppose it wouldn't be much trouble to release the source, notes, etc. to help out.
I am not that coder but willing to learn and would try it to port to lod v1.10. Have little experience with hex editing and tried ollydbg but did not follow any tutorial. But in this case I would spend my time to get it to work or at least I try it. So its on you to share the sources or not ;)

WarWolf
Paladin

Post by WarWolf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:10 pm

This is epic, thank god one can't connect to battle.net with it though, the increased cast area would ruin pvp as we know it.

But yeah it would rock for 1.10 because honestly I don't play a lot of vanilla 1.12 LoD in singleplayer.

Another possibility would be PlugY integration or a d2mod plugin as PlugY works over all the versions right?

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Plugy doesn't work for 1.12
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

MagicMatze
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by MagicMatze » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:02 am

Necrolis";p="402446" wrote:Plugy doesn't work for 1.12
Thats the fact why I and others do not port mods to this version. LoD 1.10 is a good version and mod tools / mods should be used to run with those version number.
The higher resolution is awesome and I think that coders should make a LoD v1.10 compatible version for the whole mod community! So I am willing to work on it - someone too? ;)

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:54 am

MagicMatze";p="402485" wrote:
Necrolis";p="402446" wrote:Plugy doesn't work for 1.12
Thats the fact why I and others do not port mods to this version. LoD 1.10 is a good version and mod tools / mods should be used to run with those version number.
The higher resolution is awesome and I think that coders should make a LoD v1.10 compatible version for the whole mod community! So I am willing to work on it - someone too? ;)
this is the same reason i mod 1.10, 1.11+ provides nothing that i haven't already done in 1.10(both soft and hard coded). I made my own version of this(multires) long ago[points to mod thread :P], just never got round to fixing the bugs it created(though i have a feeling that i took a different approach to sluggy).
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

FoxBat
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by FoxBat » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:33 pm

A little screenshot of the awesomeness: http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1852/bigresjj0.jpg

Would be nice if the inv panel didn't take up half the screen for a tiny dot, but this is still absolutely amazing as-is. :D Might need to go back and fiddle with the monster aggro radius though... ;)

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:59 pm

any chance that the conjuction of stars brings that for us, mortals, as 1.10 supported? ;)

(amazing screenshot btw, +1 to: voted for 1.10 )
Last edited by mirecek on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

BuffyS

Post by BuffyS » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:42 pm

I'd vote for 1.11b :)

Frio
Champion of the Light

Post by Frio » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:48 am

Looks good but... 1.10 support would be good. :)

SheX - Lost Mage
Paladin
Liechtenstein

Post by SheX - Lost Mage » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:39 pm

My vote for 1.10! :)

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:35 pm

1.11b and 1.10 support plz
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

XiaN

Post by XiaN » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:21 am

At first : a very nice work :)

Not that new at all but better done then the other resolution hac ... changer out there.

But the reason i post here is, that i would really appreciate if you are willing to share the sourcecode with us. This is not intended to steal your hard work or recompile it and contribute it under another / my name but

1.) This would make it possible for other people to port the code over to other D2 versions

2.) It would help a friend of mine ( the modmaker of Snej ... can't link to the site because of the no private realm policy of the Keep, but google it and you'll find it ). Snej is very famous here in germany and on the last mayor version he managed to change the resolution to 1024x768 in is mod. Mabe your source could help him to fix the last few glitches in his edits.

And last but the reason i ask for the source :

It would be a pitty if you would disapear from d2 modding and your work will get "lost" :(

Hope you could drop me a pm about your thinkings about giving the source out.
Last edited by XiaN on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Member Аnnouncements”