Ajahs

Information and updates for the Wheel of Time mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. NOTICE: This project has been scrapped in lieu of the Shadow Empires mod.
Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Re: Ajahs

Post by Black Heart » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:31 am

It just seems to me that trying to give different abilities to different Ajahs is just more trouble than its worth.
A very valid point :!:

Is has been quite a challenge trying to create a workable system.

I too will concede that the player should make the choice of witch Ajah the link themselves to.

We could always enhance Ajah choices threw sets, charms and unique items to give a different feel and look to each Ajah Example: a set that give multiple summoning warders to the green Ajah and increased bounces to healing type skills for the yellow etc.. With color shifting to give the appearances of Ajah color to the characters
Sometimes we win with greater firepower, through sheer numbers or more powerful weapons, but for the most part it is knowledge that defines our victories. Know something and it has lost its power over you.

The Shadow Has risen!!!! Warped Tiles

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:22 pm

What if we linked all the skills to items Say a ring like item created for each Ajah.. Then give that item negative Synergies: to certain skills and bounces to others. In this way we do not need to eat up skill slots. This way multiple Ajahs can use the same skills. Increasing the amount of skills usable per Ajah.
this could be done, but the trick is giving the player the ability to choose which of the items to use. I could get you some shawl graphics that would work if you can find a way to allow a player's decision on which ajah they want to use.

Another idea that would link into this, have the ajah skills interrelated, ei have the player advance through different ajahs and eventually reach sitter, keeper, then Amyrlin Seat. By doing this, you could dedicate a skill page to the ajah trainings, and you wouldn't need to give detrimentary effects to the ajah training skills. Then you could have these training skills grant passive bonuses, and unlock other skills.

A really neat way to design requirements for the training skills would be basing the requirements on character stats. For example, the brown ajah training could require a high energy (knowledge) stat. The Green ajah skill could require high dexterity and energy, the blue, energy, grey, energy and vitality, and so forth.

Another thought, based on the fact that there is no maximum number of skills for a character (although you do have to have the same number per class) (there is a way around this though, through the use of items and the oskill property.) is using the items, like a stole, or ring, or amulet, or angreal that would give a +1 bonus to the key skill...though that could be difficult to do, since the player must have a physical point in a skill to be allowed to use its prerequisites...though you could simply require the player to be carrying the item for that particular ajah to use the corresponding skills.

Reality is different for each person; What one person sees, another does not. It's all a matter of perspective. This is my reality, I'll live it as I choose.

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
"Who desires peace should prepare for war."
- Vegetius De Rei Militari III

Little Eddie

Post by Little Eddie » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:16 am

the idea I lean toward now is the one reiyo-oki and I were discussing earlier..

have a set of skills, 1 for each ajah, where you choose your ajah, and have the one you put a skill point in have negative synergy to all the others..so that it is stupid to pick more than 1 unless you are a very high level..

the you have your set of base skills that everyone uses (no synergy bonuses).

all other skills can be learned by anyone (thus the idea that a aes sedai can learn a skill by watching the weave being made) but have the skills that are closely tied to a ajah gain a synergy bonus so that the type/comfort level with the weave is shown..conversley, it could be that any skill outside the general ajah could have a negative bonus..you can learn it, but it is harder to get good at it.

this way the aes sedai get the same number of skills as everyone else, and players can customize a bit, even if the skill is not generally associated with the ajah color..this needs a bit more hammering out, but I think it is a good idea.
Once again....thank you all for listening to me ramble.....

the daeth of rats

Post by the daeth of rats » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:44 am

as iv said before, why not make all charachters the BATTLE AJAH (green). just give them masterys that give synergys to the trype of skill they choose (fire, sprirt, water, air or erath) and negative (but not too negative, as the aes sedai are better with one element, but are only halfway decnet with the others). that way you would have white mages, red mages, and black mages. :P
SQUEAK

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:07 pm

the effect of using only one ajah could be interesting...but it seems to fit the characteristics of the Aes Sedai better to have multiple. I personally think that the idea of requiring a specific angreal or ring to use skills for a given ajah would be workable. You could give the starting character an item that would become another, and follow itself in a loop, having a different form for each ajah. Then, when they wanted to decide on an ajah for their mainstream course, they could transmute it in the cube or something to make it a new item with the key attribute allowing for more effective use of skills commonly used by that ajah.

Reality is different for each person; What one person sees, another does not. It's all a matter of perspective. This is my reality, I'll live it as I choose.

Malachor
Paladin

Post by Malachor » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:19 pm

Kingpin:
But each tab itself limits the number of skills that can be displayed in the skilltab, don't remember what the nbr of skills for each tab are
the max for each tab is 18. so total is 54, ie 3 pages x 3 columns x 6 rows = 54 ;)

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:54 pm

you forgot something, each class can have up to 10 starting skills as well, they can be defined in the charstats.txt file, and appear on the same line as the tp/id scroll icons (well, if you want them to, you could use them for passives or something too) So the actuall number would be:

3 * 6 * 3 + 10 = 64 skills per character (listed ones with icons anyway. You can have any number of skills, but you can only have (realistically) 64 skills per character that can be "activated" or "used" by the player.

Return to “Wheel of Time”