Ajahs

Information and updates for the Wheel of Time mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. NOTICE: This project has been scrapped in lieu of the Shadow Empires mod.
reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Re: Need a few dedicated wot fans

Post by reiyo_oki » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:35 am

actually...since there are only six ajahs...unless you count the black...you could give only 5 skills per Ajah, then make the max skill level like 100, that might make a bit more sense. this way you could use a single character class, in this case the sorceress, and give them a choice of Ajahs at the start of the game...say the first quest. The character could pick up a specific item, like a charm (angreal) and that would determine the skills he/she could study. the only problem with this is that the character could accumulate multiple copies of the items through open bnet or closed servers...unless you made the item a permanent stat altering potion that disabled certain skills. or simply make the synergies for certain skills give negative bonuses to all skills of other ajahs. (like give say firewall a negative bonus to heal)

The trolloc wars would be a great idea, or maybe the Aiel War...hehe evil amazons hehe...

Reality is different for each person; What one person sees, another does not. It's all a matter of perspective. This is my reality, I'll live it as I choose.

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
"Who desires peace should prepare for war."
- Vegetius De Rei Militari III

Little Eddie

Post by Little Eddie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:44 am

what I was thinking was by limiting it to 1 character you have a set skill list for ALL ajahs, if it is possible to split them between 2 characters..you get a huge variety in character type..by choosing ajah but within 1 char type you just get the satisfaction of knowing what you are, but still share the same skills with every other..by using more than 1 char, you create completely different char types in the ajahs..

not sure how workable this is really..just a thought..

I do not think it is possible to limit skill choice within a char class based on an item picked up..hmm
Once again....thank you all for listening to me ramble.....

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:50 am

not based on the item, y ou're right...but the synergies make it really easy. give each of the skills of one ajah a negative effect to a corresponding skill for another ajah. that would majorly limit the use of multiple ajah skills.

Reality is different for each person; What one person sees, another does not. It's all a matter of perspective. This is my reality, I'll live it as I choose.

Little Eddie

Post by Little Eddie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:39 am

using sysnergies is a very good idea..the one drawback I see is that you would be creating a class that has many fewer skills than the other classes. the others get approx 30 skills (is that right?), but by limiting skills in the sorceress to define ajahs you may be handicaping them..just boosting the power of the skills is not really a good choice, as you would just have a bunch of sorc's with 1-2 super skills running around.

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Re: Ajahs

Post by Black Heart » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:36 am

Here is some thing to think on.

What I was thinking about different ajha is buy giving them the basic skill package mention in other thread witch in turn leaves 20 skills to fill in by using basic magic skills such as warmth, chill armor, telekinesis Etc.. Then have the ajah use different soc and or crafted item based of the gems according to the gem that matches their ajah change. states on gems to grant skill when socketed and or crafted. Jewls could be added into this category as well as high-level usage Example: Green being the emerald would refelect skill based on earth type magic’s and not limited to the sorceress old skills only we could add in say twisted etc..

For further diversity we cold make spell books (charged charms) make them use the setting as quest items to limit how may each character can carry.

Well just some thoughts ya’ll chew on them and lets see what we can hash out.
Sometimes we win with greater firepower, through sheer numbers or more powerful weapons, but for the most part it is knowledge that defines our victories. Know something and it has lost its power over you.

The Shadow Has risen!!!! Warped Tiles

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:26 pm

[quote=Black Heart";p="135193"]
What I was thinking about different ajha (Ajah) is buy giving them the basic skill package mention in other thread witch in turn leaves 20 skills to fill in by using basic magic skills
[/quote]

if you do this, you could use one page for the base skills, one for offensive skills, and one for defensive. The offensive and defensive should be separated into groups for each Ajah, i.e. the offensive should be Red, Green, and Black Ajahs, the defensive should be Brown, Blue, White, Yellow, and Grey

for the base skills I would recommend the following:

Energy Shield
Enchant
Telekinesis
Warmth
Cold Armor (combine the effects of all the original cold armors)
Healing (use holy bolt, but let it target anything, including yourself)
Fire Wall (many Aes Sedai learn this skill, as it is often essential to a retreat)
Gateway (make it a high level skill, the Aes Sedai learn it later on in the series, after Rand and Moriane return from the Aiel waste)
Energy Bind (entraps enemy in strands of air) (make it act like stun, but drain mana as it is being used, so the caster could use it like inferno.)
Balefire (A forbidden weave, but learned by many nontheless, a super powerful inferno skill maybe? use max skill level 1 for this or it will become TOO powerful. You could even make the Ter'Angreal that creates balefire, and require that to be equipped in order to use the skill.)

[quote=Black Heart";p="135193"]
Then have the ajah use different soc and or crafted item based of the gems according to the gem that matches their ajah change. states on gems to grant skill when socketed and or crafted. Jewls could be added into this category as well as high-level usage Example: Green being the emerald would refelect skill based on earth type magic’s and not limited to the sorceress old skills only we could add in say twisted etc..
[/quote]

if you use gems that way, you would need to make them purchaseable from vendors, otherwise they would be too rare to be of any real use.

as to the colors for the ajahs...

Red: Ruby
Green: Emerald
Yellow: Topaz
White: Diamond
Blue: Sapphire
Black: Obsidian
Grey: Quartz
Brown: Lapiz Lazuli? dunno, cant think of any brown gems atm

for the sorc items to work this way, you could add some more...like shawls, robes, tiaras, and gloves. though you should remove the orbs...they don't really fit into WoT anywhere that I can think of atm

Just as a general note on the elements that Aes Sedai and Asha'Man use:

Aes Sedai, as females, generally use air and water
Asha'Man, the men, use earth and fire predominantly

Little Eddie

Post by Little Eddie » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:04 am

ok, I do like this idea, but I still think my last point was valid, in that by limiting (even in avaliable power/skill level) that the ajah's are gonna be short changed in the skill department..I am sure it is workable though.

This idea also makes sense since any aes sedai can learn something that another can do by watching the "weave" being created used..so having the same skills avaliable does not really draw away from the book ideas..

I must also say that after thinking today I am still pretty big on the idea of using the sorceress for 2 different character classes..what I was thinking of today was that the Children (paladin-right?) should not be used..use that char slot as another ajah base..but in the future time frame world you are making, the Children Of The Light have finally been totally corrupted and are now a major evil force..if possibible they can have the monestary at the end of act 1, they hold it/that is thier base..and it is your mission to put an end to them...still thinking about this, and not sure of the validity..just a thought..

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Black Heart » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:27 am

The pally is now the Warder class.

I belive we can work out some thing so that we can keep all the classes
Sometimes we win with greater firepower, through sheer numbers or more powerful weapons, but for the most part it is knowledge that defines our victories. Know something and it has lost its power over you.

Little Eddie

Post by Little Eddie » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:36 am

ok, all classes are used, dropping that train of thought. ;)

here is another idea: is it possible to limit a skill to level 1 but leave the other skills limited to 20? my new idea is to have a skill for each ajah, so you choose ajah by choosing the skill that represents it, then by using the synergy bonuses (thanx for the idea reiyo_oki!) a skill that is designed for a specific ajah can be boosted by the synergy..this also fits with everyone being able to learn each others skills, but some are better suited to specific things (eg.: yellow-healing)...the one prob I see and do not know if it is fixable is a way to make the other ajah choosing skill unavailable after 1 is chosen..

Fortitude

Post by Fortitude » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:45 am

the one prob I see and do not know if it is fixable is a way to make the other ajah choosing skill unavailable after 1 is chosen..
Maybe you could use negative synergies to make choosing multiple Ajah choosing skills such a stupid idea that it wouldnt be worth it
Happiness is a beltfed weapon

Little Eddie

Post by Little Eddie » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:09 am

wow..I almost thought you were slapping me Fortitude! then I re-read your post... ;)

Does anyone know if negative synergies are possible? they must be, it is just a bonus added to a skill, so a negative affect should work..

Fortitude

Post by Fortitude » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:19 am

uh sorry bout that, guess i could've worded it a bit better :oops:

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:48 pm

actually, yes, negative synergies are quite doable.

as to the base skill requirement for each ajah, that would be a wonderful idea. just make each group of skills require a specific base skill (ajah training maybe)

Each of these training skills could give bonuses to all the skills for that ajah, and each other ajah training could give negative bonuses to other ajah training skills, thus rendering training in multiple ajah skills difficult, if not worthless.
Last edited by reiyo_oki on Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Black Heart » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:22 pm

all sounds good but currently beyound my skill level of skill editing but will begine as soon as i have a grasp of skill editing an information on this would help. :oops:

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:45 pm

[quote=Black Heart";p="135826"]
all sounds good but currently beyound my skill level of skill editing but will begine as soon as i have a grasp of skill editing an information on this would help. :oops:
[/quote]

Ok then, here's a little tutorial, Since the skills are (almost) completely softcoded in 1.10 this should be fairly simple to figure out

Required Files:
Skills.txt
Skilldesc.txt

Required Knowledge:
Basic Knowledge of Text File Editing

create a new skill for each ajah (ajah training for example)
have that skill give bonuses to skills for the ajah it signifies
for synergies, have the skill give negative bonuses to the other versions of this skill for the other ajahs

Example skill:

Green Ajah Training:
Required Level: 25 (Based on a 100 Level system)
Required to learn Green Ajah Skills
Passive - Allows access to skills learned by members of the Green Ajah
+X% Wind Damage for all Green Ajah Skills (Skill Level Based)
+X% Water Damage for all Green Ajah Skills (Skill Level Based)
+X% Warder Damage (Skill Level Based)
+X% Warder Defense (Skill Level Based)
+X Warders (Skill level based, up to 5 maybe?)

(This skill should get no synergy bonuses from other skills, except the negatives from the other Ajah Training skills)

Green Ajah Training Synergies:
-X% To Yellow Ajah Skill Effectiveness (Effect on Ajah training skill)
-X% To Blue Ajah Skill Effectiveness (Effect on Ajah training skill)
-X% To White Ajah Skill Effectiveness (Effect on Ajah training skill)
-X% To Red Ajah Skill Effectiveness (Effect on Ajah training skill)
-X% To Brown Ajah Skill Effectiveness (Effect on Ajah training skill)
-X% To Grey Ajah Skill Effectiveness (Effect on Ajah training skill)
-X% To Black Ajah Skill Effectiveness (Effect on Ajah training skill)

The skill above should be similar for all the other versions, but with different bonuses to the Ajah skills. For example, Black Ajah Training might add a bonus to Balefire damage.

the daeth of rats

Post by the daeth of rats » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:45 pm

im not sure about this, but is it possible to crete new charachters? cuz then you could make a charachter for each ajah, or mabey you could instead say that all of them are the battle ajah (green) and have diffrent types of skills on the charachters (air and water one one, mabey have some fire and earth on another, spirit [give em an isntant kill move :)] and another one, becuase some aes sedai can sometimes be good with up to 2 or 3 diffrent element-thingys)
SQUEAK

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:48 pm

it is currently impossible for modders to create new character classes, since we would need the actual source code for the game to do that, and blizzard are the only ones who have it...kinda sucks, but we have found ways around it. Look at Joel's Cabal Wars mod for an idea of how we can get around this limitation.

the daeth of rats

Post by the daeth of rats » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:22 am

in that case, make theaes sedai a green ajah who has mostly air and water moves mabey give her 1 or 2 healing / killing moves [give it a high mana cost] and mabey one or too earth and firs skills, just make em a bit less powewrfull than the wind/air skills.
SQUEAK

Llama8

Post by Llama8 » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:50 pm

[quote=Little Eddie";p="135635"] here is another idea: is it possible to limit a skill to level 1 but leave the other skills limited to 20? [/quote]

Couldn't you just change the skill such that it doesn't get any improvements per level? I know it's not perfect, as you could still put more than one point in it, but for something like Balefire you could put one point in it so that you could use it, then ignore it.

Little Eddie

Post by Little Eddie » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:18 pm

god I feel dumb now! that is very doable, just have no bonus to the skill after the designated power level is reached...oh jeez..

Fortitude

Post by Fortitude » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:51 am

Just make sure the Player is aware that any more skill points in that skill won't do anything, otherwise there could be some angry folks out there!!
:rage:

reiyo_oki
Retired staff
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by reiyo_oki » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:36 pm

here is an idea. Make the key skills require no skill points to learn, but have a max level of 1, since you can define individual skill maximums completely softcoded now this should be incredibly simple. Just a thought

Black Heart
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Black Heart » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:48 pm

What if we linked all the skills to items Say a ring like item created for each Ajah.. Then give that item negative Synergies: to certain skills and bounces to others. In this way we do not need to eat up skill slots. This way multiple Ajahs can use the same skills. Increasing the amount of skills usable per Ajah.

As we all know we are limited to 30 skills 10 of witch will be the basic skill package

Basic skills

Salvation: Increases resistance to all elemental damage for you, your party members and hirelings. Does not work on poison or curses.

Conviction: reduces defense and resistances of all enemies

Confuse: Cursed monsters will attack randomly, friends of foes. You will get XP for monsters killed by monsters under the influence of Confuse.

Lower Resist: Simply put, this skill increases an enemy's susceptibility to the harsh effects of the elements and elemental magic’s. Skin burns like paper, chills cut to the bone, and lightning is drawn to the victim as if they were an iron bar in a rainstorm.

Terror: Cursed monsters run in fear

Telekinesis: Allows you to pick up items, trigger objects and attack from a distance

Fire mastery: Increases damage of fire spells. Your upgrade possibilities of this cast are limited since you can only put in one point per level.

Warmth: Increases your mana recovery rate.

Lighting mastery: Increases the damage done by the lightning spells.

Vengeance: adds elemental damage to all melee attacks. no poison attack. Raises attack rate with 20%

Other skill tabs are open for a total of 20 skills this should be enough to mix match together weaves for the Ajah
Last edited by Black Heart on Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:41 pm

As we all know we are limited to 30 skills 10 of witch will be the basic skill package
There are no uper limit of avaible skills for a character, so if you want you can add more than 30 skills to each character as long as they share equal nbr of total skills. But each tab itself limits the number of skills that can be displayed in the skilltab, don't remember what the nbr of skills for each tab are ;)

Fortitude

Post by Fortitude » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:15 am

I just had a thought and I know this may sound stupid, but why bother with different ajahs? In the books the only mention of talents being stronger for particular ajah is healing with the Yellow ajah (and maybe combat spells with the greens). In most cases the talents of each Aes Sedai varied from individual to individual. Ajahs are not defined by their ability in one particular talent (except maybe the yellow) but by the philosophies of their members.

Also trying to define abilities to each of the ajahs will be a headache in itself. Ok, so the Green and Yellow Ajah should be easy enough, but what abilities would you give the Grey Ajah? Or the White? Or even the Brown? Those three ajahs don't have particular talents that stands them out from the rest of the aes sedai, all the do is negotiate treaties, look at everything logically and seek knowledge respectively.

Also another point, giving negative synergies to different ajahs would limit players in thier versatility:

Player1: What Ajah are you?

Player2: Blue

Player1: Ahhh that means you only use <insert skill names here>, because blues suck at everything else.

Player1:.......Screw this I'm making an Asha'man

It just seems to me that trying to give different abilities to different Ajahs is just more trouble than its worth.

Return to “Wheel of Time”