A reasons for not getting uniques when you should get 100% uniques

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

rain-13

A reasons for not getting uniques when you should get 100% uniques

Post by rain-13 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:06 pm

Recently I had a problem that I got rares instead of uniques although I had Unique=1024 in treasureClassEx.txt which should have caused all drops to be unique. When I tried to google this topic I did not find any explanation. Only later I learned that if I had known to google for failed uniques I would have found something. So I decided to post a summary of what I learned here to make it more visible.

There's three reasons why you can get rares when uniques should be 100%:
  1. The monster level is below the qlvl of the unique item -> generates rare with double durability instead
  2. The base item has no unique item which can crops -> generates rare with double durability instead
  3. Most uniques are set to only drop once per game, any extras drop as rare with the upped durability
Notice:
  • You can tell "failed uniques" by their double durability
  • Likewise you can tell "failed sets" by their triple durability
  • Qlvl means lvl field in UniqueItems.txt
  • Monster level means Level, Level(N) and Level(H) fields on MonStats.txt
  • To allow more than one drop of the same unique item you need to change nolimit field in UniqueItems.txt to 1 (empty cell or 0 means that items can drop only once per game)
I wasn't sure if that should go to knowledge base or somewhere else so I decided to post it here. Feel free to move this if it's in wrong place or comment if you have additional info to add or correct. Also thanks to firesnake and Necrolis from our Discord for providing this information.

Return to “General Mod Making”