Circlets item type

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

oli25

Circlets item type

Post by oli25 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:44 pm

D2 wikis state that Helms: include Animal Pelts (Druid Items) and Primal Helms (Barbarian Items) but not Circlets. Is that actually correct? They all have Equiv1 helm in itemtypes.txt. So they all get affixes that spawn on helms right? I really don't get it why druid and barb helms are included and circlets excluded.

thereaverofdarkness

Re: Circlets item type

Post by thereaverofdarkness » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:31 pm

The affixes that helms or circlets receive is determined by the listings in magicprefix.txt and magicsuffix.txt. If an affix is set to occur on helms in general, it can occur on circlets because they count as a helm type in their Equiv1. Likewise, if an affix is set to occur on armor in general, it can occur on circlets because they are helms, which are armor. But if an affix specifies all helms except circlets, or all armor except circlets, then it cannot occur on circlets. They have both include and exclude fields to operate in this way. I think there aren't very many helm fields which exclude circlets, but several armor fields which do. Circlets are able to get several types of affixes which other helms cannot, and are unable to get several affixes which other helms can get.

The wiki may be referring to runewords for helms, however it looks to me like any helm runeword can go into any circlet. This is different from shields, in which necromancer trophies and paladin auric shields count as a type of shield, however there is a particular shield type which only includes basic non-class-specific shields, and this type also counts as shields in general. Some affixes apply only to basic shields, while some apply to all shields, and a few apply specifically to trophies or auric shields. A runeword could be made to go only into a basic shield, and not into a trophy or auric shield, however it doesn't appear that any of them have been made this way. Exile, however, goes only into an auric shield.

I hope that helps, and didn't just make it even more confusing.

oli25

Re: Circlets item type

Post by oli25 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:22 pm

Thank you so much for detailed answer.

Yeah, part one is exactly how I see it. It really got me confused that wiki states class specific helms are included and circlets aren't. They are actually the same, so the should work the same. Both class specific helms and circlets have helms as parent iType. Class specific helms also have exclusive affixes just like circlets do, just way less (+to all class skill for example). I really don't get it why they exclude circlets from helms and class specific helms not. It's actually affix related, not runewords. Here's the source https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Suffix
I guess the wiki is wrong then.

Edit: Just looked at the shields and yeah, it makes perfect sense. I see that there is shld(all shields) which then spreads into shie(non class shields), head (necro) and ashd (pal).

Return to “General Mod Making”