[help] how could I remove the "*.wav" files in "d2exp.mpq"?

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Cloudclli

[help] how could I remove the "*.wav" files in "d2exp.mpq"?

Post by Cloudclli » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:18 pm

Hi,

I just want to remove all sound effect but keep speech and music when playing. By deleting "d2sfx.mpq" most of act1-4 sounnd effect have been removed. But I realized that exp sound effects are in "d2exp.mpq" which I could not simply remove. I tried to edit the mpq with MPQworkshop but the wav files couldn't be deleted. :cry:

The purpose is to only have BGM when playing. Appreciate anyone could give me a hand to solve it.

Cheers.

Vortaka

Re: [help] how could I remove the "*.wav" files in "d2exp.mpq"?

Post by Vortaka » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:06 pm

Hum... Well, the only way I can think of (and this is without editing or recompiling mpq's) is a little tiresome but I think doable...
Just create an empty wav file (or take one in Diablo itself and cut everything but a 1ms "silence") and save it (with D2 parameters... you know, hertz, bits, you know, to fully make it compatible)
Then is the long path (unless you can create the files with a batch file or script). Take the name of the original file and create a copy of your empty wav file with the "original" game name) and folders present in the mpq (the ones related to audio files anyway) in your Diablo2 folder (I know, this will be pretty annoying/exhausting).

Using the "-direct", it will load your empty wav files instead of the ones in the mpq... Anyway, it should!
I know, I know, long, boring and lame but it's the only way I can think of to make it easy and without touching the mpqs...
Hope this works!

Happy Holidays!

Cloudclli

Post by Cloudclli » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Vortaka wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:06 pm
Hum... Well, the only way I can think of (and this is without editing or recompiling mpq's) is a little tiresome but I think doable...
Just create an empty wav file (or take one in Diablo itself and cut everything but a 1ms "silence") and save it (with D2 parameters... you know, hertz, bits, you know, to fully make it compatible)
Then is the long path (unless you can create the files with a batch file or script). Take the name of the original file and create a copy of your empty wav file with the "original" game name) and folders present in the mpq (the ones related to audio files anyway) in your Diablo2 folder (I know, this will be pretty annoying/exhausting).

Using the "-direct", it will load your empty wav files instead of the ones in the mpq... Anyway, it should!
I know, I know, long, boring and lame but it's the only way I can think of to make it easy and without touching the mpqs...
Hope this works!

Happy Holidays!
Wow! Thanks. Good news is at least I have a solution. Bad news is as you mentioned total 575 wav files I have to handle. Let me just try Succubus because their sounds are quite anonying.

Happy Holidays!

jerk-o
United States of America

Post by jerk-o » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:48 am

You could also change the volume listed in sounds.txt
(\ /) This is Bunny.
(o.o) Copy Bunny into your signature to help
(><) him on his way to world domination

Vortaka

Post by Vortaka » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:23 am

jerk-o wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:48 am
Good idea! And, that way, you don't have to create folders and empty files...
I'd say that jerk-o's idea is better then mine! Since it would be faster for sure...
You know, only editing one txt file... Ok, ok, I admit defeat! :)

Cloudclli

Post by Cloudclli » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:49 pm

jerk-o wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:48 am
Yes!!! It works great!!! I just remove all sounds except speech relevant. Now I could enjoy the BGM while playing. Thank you very much!

Return to “General Mod Making”