Save out of AFJ Editor

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Budias

Save out of AFJ Editor

Post by Budias » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:25 pm

I've been searching for hours trying to figure this out. I'm wanting to change the color of gem dropped text. I have downloaded MPQ editor and also AFJ Table editor. I have found the gem item codes and clicked on the menu to make them red for instance. Once I have changed all of them, I click save and the AFJ closes. Nothing happens though. I open up the file again and nothing has changed.

Is there some other way to save these files?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been answered before.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: Save out of AFJ Editor

Post by Cypress » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:18 pm

Don't use AFJ Table Editor 1.11. I'm not sure why it is still available through the download page considering it does not work and how many modders (me included) have been burned by it. I suggest using AFJ Table Editor 1.12 (viewtopic.php?t=15454).

Budias

Post by Budias » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:27 pm

I run into the same problem with 1.12 as well. Edit color, click save, launch Diablo, and nothing. Not sure if I'm doing that right or not but when I open the .tbl again, nothing has saved.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:07 am

Are you able to edit other strings, or is it just the gem-related strings (that are having a problem)? Is it only colors that have a problem, or are all string changes not working? Are you editing patchstring.tbl, or something else? Can you add in and save new strings?

Budias

Post by Budias » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:18 am

Not sure about adding and saving new strings, as this is all new to me. I am editing stirng.tbl in file diabloII/d2data.mpq. I open it in MPQEditor, open data\local\lng\eng\string.tbl. I have tried to edit the color of potions and gems. Once I change all gems to red, I click save and the program closes. Load D2 and nothing.

The current pic I uploaded says 1.11 as version. I uninstalled all versions and downloaded 1.12u with still no luck.
Attachments
Untitled.png

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:27 am

I recommend using patchstring.tbl instead since it has priority over all other tbls. You can extract it from patch_d2.mpq, then just place it into the same location. If you don't see the gem strings in patchstring.tbl, then you can add them (hit the + button), name them the same as the gem strings in string.tbl then modify them as desired. Also, based on your screenshot, it appears that you are still running the dreaded AFJ Tbl Editor 1.11 (look at the bottom right of your screen), you should delete all traces of 1.11 and use 1.12 instead.

And just to make sure, are you starting and exiting Diablo 2 every time you modify something? If so, you do not need to. You can exit to the character screen then load a character and that will re-load the Data folder; this should make testing more fluid.

jamie11

Post by jamie11 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:06 pm

Cypress wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:27 am
I recommend using patchstring.tbl instead since it has priority over all other tbls. You can extract it from patch_d2.mpq, then just place it into the same location. If you don't see the gem strings in patchstring.tbl, then you can add them (hit the + button), name them the same as the gem strings in string.tbl then modify them as desired. Also, based on your screenshot, it appears that you are still running the dreaded AFJ Tbl Editor 1.11 (look at the bottom right of your screen), you should delete all traces of 1.11 and use 1.12 instead.
assignment help sydney
And just to make sure, are you starting and exiting Diablo 2 every time you modify something? If so, you do not need to. You can exit to the character screen then load a character and that will re-load the Data folder; this should make testing more fluid.
Thanks! I might use it too. It's nice to find this thread.

Perso
France

Post by Perso » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:17 am

Dear Budias,

I just went through the exact same issue a couple of days ago.
I wanted to make the gems&runes colorful when they drop so I open the mpq databases with a MPQ editor, I open the string tables with AFJ tbl editor, and after I saved and closed, the changes I just made disappeared...
After investigations, I found this very instructive documentation:
https://phrozenkeep.blob.core.windows.n ... de-v14.pdf
Read through it, it is very helpful !
What we were doing wrong is that we cannot simply edit a tbl from a mpq to modify the database.
Instead, we should technically 1/extract the tbl from the mpq, 2/edit it, 3/import it to the mpq again.

Here is how I finally made it work:
1/ In AJF, I saved my changes to string.tbl clicking "Save As" and naming with the same file name but to a temporary location. C:\Users\Perso\Desktop\temp
2/ In my game directory, I created folders to mimic the full path of the tbl file in the mpq (C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\data\local\LNG\fra)
3/ In addition, I created the folders global\excel and put them in the folder data in the game directory (this is were the binary files will be created afterwards)
4/ I created a shortcut for the executable Game.exe and put on the desktop. In the properties of the shortcut, I added the following switches : -direct -txt. Be careful here, the target of the shortcut should look like this (consider the quotes and the spaces) : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo II\Game.exe" -direct -txt
5/ I clicked the shortcut and launched the game. I tried with a new character and the colouring modification were successful !

Now I noticed a few things.
Now that the binaries files are created in the data\global\excel subfolder, I fail to reimport them to the mpq (I cannot find a MPQ editor with this feature and I have issues finding MPQ2K for Windows), so I need to use the newly created shortcut everytime I want to launch the game.
In my case, the game is installed in French, so the value of the tbl entry r33 is "[fs]Rune Zod". If you want to make the rune look orange, this will work : "[fs]\orange;Rune Zod" and this will not : "\orange;[fs]Rune Zod".
It was already commented that some string tbl files overwrite the others. So pay attention to modify runes Jah, Shael and Jo in patchstring.tbl, all runes in expansionstring.tbl and gems in string.tbl. Then place all these tbl in data\local\LNG\fra\ in the game directory.

I hope this helps. Good luck Budias !

Return to “General Mod Making”