(Tut)How to add Runes to your mod

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

tmuhlhausen
Paladin
Canada

(Tut)How to add Runes to your mod

Post by tmuhlhausen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:31 am

I have decided to make this short tutorial because i searched the keep and happened to notice there were none, or not anymore at least. this was made using 1.14d if using an older version double check
you have all the same columns in your text files, which you should.

They all seem to work properly but let me know if you find issues
heres a few screens of some i made and a quick video of a new runeword made using this method.

Anyway's Firstly we will need a few things and they are as follow's (Assuming you already know to to edit MPQ directory's)

Go ahead and grab these text files out.

~Gems.txt
~Misc.txt

These are the only 2 text files we will need to edit.
Also for reference, take out "properties.txt" as we will need this file to decide which properties our new runes will have.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/rrb8ix91 ... s.zip/file
~ Here is a link with two runestones so you dont have to make them, as well as the blank runestone use to create them so you can make new ones.
these were created in gimp with the paintbrush tool using an image found on a free rpg assets site.
rename these runes to what your two runes will be called keeping invr at the beginning.
Take these 2 item files and place them into data/global/items/ so when we are done making our runes the images will be already done
i find it easier to make the images first that way when filling columns and rows in you dont have to skip or stop sections to open another file.
and it saves going back and fourth constantly to make sure your strings are right.

grab patchstring.tbl out of your local/lng/eng/patchstring.tbl Close this MPQ now.

We will make 2 new runes here just to give a brief example of how simple it actually is, but you could add more that's up to you.

Open gems.txt scroll to the bottom and copy the row with Cham Rune in it to the bottom of the file, also copy the row with Zod rune to the bottom.

put the name's of your two new runes in the "name" column, in the letter column put the same thing without "Rune" so the 3 or 4 letter abbreviation you
chose.

"transform" column:
18 (same as the rest)

"code" column:
next rune in the order r34, and your second rune will be r35

"nummods" column:
1 (same as the rest)

----These columns are for the properties that will appear when one of our runes is socketed into a Weapon.

"weaponMod1Code" column: Here we will begin to desgin our new Runes. Open up properties to get our references!
you will have to decide what you want for properties i chose "pierce-fire" and "pierce-ltng" without the quotations.

"weaponMod1Param" column:
leave this empty like the rest (it is always best to follow the design of how old items look)

"weaponMod1Min" column:
this is minimum value of our new property so for me it will be a percentage beacause i picked pierce-fire and pierce-ltng, I put "25" in these columns
which will be the minimum roll on this rune. you should set this and next column to the same value. i have not tested random values but this is what will happen
HarvestWombs wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:34 am
Just fyi, if you put different values for min/max for any item in gems.txt, the display will refresh every frame resulting in a rather obscure looking random number generator.
So it's probably best to never do that.
"weaponMod1Max" column:
this is the maximum value or new property will be, i put 25 for both of mine.

"weaponMod2Code" column: Just leave this blank

"weaponMod2Param" column: Just leave this blank

"weaponMod2Min" column: Just leave this blank

"weaponMod2Max" column: Just leave this blank

"weaponMod3Code" column: Just leave this blank

"weaponMod3Param" column: Just leave this blank

"weaponMod3Min" column: Just leave this blank

"weaponMod3Max" column: Just leave this blank

-------------These columns are for the properties that will appear when one of our runes is socketed into a helmet or any body armor.

"helmMod1Code" column: Once again properties to get our references,
decide what you want for properties here. i chose "res-fire-max" and "res-ltng-max" without the quotations.

"helmMod1Param" column:
leave this empty like the rest (it is always best to follow the design of how old items look)

"helmMod1Min" column:
this is minimum value I put 15 in this and the next column

"helmMod1Max" column:
this is the maximum value, i put 15.

"helmMod2Code" column: Just leave this blank

"helmMod2Param" column: Just leave this blank

"helmMod2Min" column: Just leave this blank

"helmMod2Max" column: Just leave this blank

"helmMod3Code" column: Just leave this blank

"helmMod3Param" column: Just leave this blank

"helmMod3Min" column: Just leave this blank

"helmMod3Max" column: Just leave this blank

-------------These columns are for the properties that will appear when one of our runes is socketed into a Shield.

"shieldMod1Code" column: Once again properties to get our references
decide what you want for properties here, i chose "extra-fire" and "extra-ltng" without the quotations.

"shieldMod1Param" column:
leave this empty like the rest

"shieldMod1Min" column:
this is minimum value I put 5 in this and the next column

"shieldMod1Max" column:
this is the maximum value, i put 5.

"shieldMod2Code" column: Just leave this blank

"shieldMod2Param" column: Just leave this blank

"shieldMod2Min" column: Just leave this blank

"shieldMod2Max" column: Just leave this blank

"shieldMod3Code" column: Just leave this blank

"shieldMod3Param" column: Just leave this blank

"shieldMod3Min" column: Just leave this blank

"shieldMod3Max" column: For some reason i dont have an EOL column or a anything like it. instead this column seems to represent
something like EOL column. for every item in this file they are all set to zero, so set your runes to "0".

And were done with Gems.txt!! Save and Close this file.

~~~~~Now open up misc.txt

We have 2 options at this point, so we want to insert 2 rows or add 2 to the bottom, i chose to add my lines under zod because i noticed
something really interesting.. It turns out where-ever your items are in this file is how they appear in the vendor inventories!
So if you move stuff around in misc.txt it will rearrange it at the vendor, pretty useful i think. so i chose to insert lines, this way it keeps runes organized at Akara.

Now copy the last 2 rune rows and insert them under the old runes or add them to the bottom. which is most likely will be Cham and Zod, we only need a few changes here.

Columns to change are:

"name": The name of your runes

"*name": The name without "Rune" in it.

"level": What level your new runes are

"levelreq": Level requirement for these runes

"rarity": i would set this at or below 20 if you want to see them within the first month lol

"code": All three of these will be the same r34-r35

"alternategfx": All three of these will be the same r34-r35

"namestr": All three of these will be the same r34-r35

"invfile": invr"your runes name" without rune in it. example..
if i chose Xile rune, i would put invrXile

"Akaramin": 1
~~To make akara have them for testing
"Akaramin": 1

"PermStoreItem": 1

Save this file and close it.

~~~~~Final Step, open up patchstring.tbl and lets add these strings.

Input all of the following without the ""

add a new string called "r34" and in the string enter "runes full name" example Xile Rune
add a new string called "r35" and in the string enter "runes full name" example Sol Rune
add a new string called "r34L" and in the string put "runes short name" example Xile
add a new string called "r34L" and in the string put "runes short name" example Sol

Save and Close. and were done pretty simple really, if you did everything correctly you will
go to Akara she should have bug free runes and they should all proc properly when socketed in the appropriate gear!!
you will have to figure out after how to add them to treasureclassEX.txt if you want them to drop randomly.

I figured i should share something since i have learned quite a bit here. Its only fair really. Hope this helps someone! and hopefully i didnt miss anything after proofreading im horrible for it, apologize if there are mistakes.
Last edited by tmuhlhausen on Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Re: (Tut)How to add Runes to your mod

Post by HarvestWombs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:34 am

Just fyi, if you put different values for min/max for any item in gems.txt, the display will refresh every frame resulting in a rather obscure looking random number generator.
So it's probably best to never do that.
Official Phrozen Keep Discord
Common Modding tools: link
My Resource Packs: link

tmuhlhausen
Paladin
Canada

Post by tmuhlhausen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:40 am

Updated, thanks for the tip. =)

dimdnim
United States of America

Post by dimdnim » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:24 pm

How did you get the new rune word working? I have edited an existing rune word (phoenix) in runes.txt, but it seems to have broken something as now no rune words can be made :lol:

tmuhlhausen
Paladin
Canada

Post by tmuhlhausen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:13 pm

dimdnim wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:24 pm
How did you get the new rune word working? I have edited an existing rune word (phoenix) in runes.txt, but it seems to have broken something as now no rune words can be made :lol:
Which version of diablo 2 are you using, as long as you have all of the files in your excel folder that i mentined in the tut, then it should work. But editing an existing runeword like you are doing should work very easily. are you just changing the runes needed? personally i AVOID editing anything that already exists because it is an easy way to break the game BUT very possible if your experienced

Return to “General Mod Making”