Runewords on Magic Items.

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Epiphron

Runewords on Magic Items.

Post by Epiphron » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:38 pm

I've managed to do all the modding I want so far, in many cases thanks to resources on this site. Though I can't seem to find where I can set it so Runewords can be applied to Magic (blue) items (and perhaps rare/unique just as a matter of interest).

I've tried editing a number of things without success, so would appreciate any help.

On a side note, partially related, if I were to increase the number of sockets on an item (such as changing armor.txt>gemsockets 4 to 6 for Gothic Plate in armor.txt) would the new/extra sockets appear appropriately placed automatically? Also would that apply for items which originally have no sockets, such as gloves.

Thanks.

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Re: Runewords on Magic Items.

Post by devurandom » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:41 pm

RuneWords on magic items requires Code Editing.
[1.09b] [1.10]
viewtopic.php?t=12664
[1.13c]
viewtopic.php?t=59373

Also, the limit of 2 sockets on most magic items dropped is hard coded in a few places in the game.
Last edited by devurandom on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Epiphron

Post by Epiphron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:44 am

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated. No wonder I couldn't get it working through the txt editing, though I'm not sure I'm about to dive into assembly as I barely scratched that a, very, long, time, ago.

Cheers.

ed, Thought I'd have a look anyway and got it working. Thanks again.

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:17 pm

Glad you got it working

Cheers.

I post links when I can to help users, but also to increase link power so search engines can more easily find
relevant topics. ;)

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Epiphron

Post by Epiphron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 pm

Since you're so eager and knowledgeable, I was wondering if you happen to know about any of the potential problems that might arise by using Runewords on Magic or greater items, rather than necroing an ancient threat.

It sounds like enabling them on Set items is clearly a bad idea, but I'm also reading things like..

Necrolis wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:54 am
...runewords store their runewords.txt index in the first affix slot, so making runewords in qualities that make use of affixes is a bad idea (not that it'll impart much).
Necrolis wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 pm
...uniques can get away with it so long as you don't break the stat limit, the affix part only really matters when it needs to be read-back (like in the case of 1 cube recipe IIRC), seeing as the stats are set once for those items and the runeword name overwrites the affix names for magic items, you'd never notice it

Some of it sounds superficial/harmless. Though what about things like "stat limit", is "stat limit" referring to the number of affix/suffix on an item, or to a single stat (such as attack rating or a skill, etc) being increased too much. Any idea what this limit might be and the consequences of exceeding it?

If there's the possibility of save game corruption due to enabling any of this, it becomes an unacceptable risk, even before the thought of sharing a mod with others and spreading such a risk.

Thanks for any clarification with this.

PS, I usually try word such things with searches in mind, whether asking or answering as others may end up searching for it in future. What little I know about SEO, which is archaic, I'm not sure how highly they regard sites linking to themselves. Also I've noticed Google seems to have something against this site.

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:16 am

I have seen a few posts that discuss some those issues, but I don't have the player save file function rewritten, so it would be better to let someone else answer that.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:48 am

Epiphron wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 pm
Since you're so eager and knowledgeable, I was wondering if you happen to know about any of the potential problems that might arise by using Runewords on Magic or greater items, rather than necroing an ancient threat.

It sounds like enabling them on Set items is clearly a bad idea, but I'm also reading things like..

Necrolis wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:54 am
...runewords store their runewords.txt index in the first affix slot, so making runewords in qualities that make use of affixes is a bad idea (not that it'll impart much).
Necrolis wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:35 pm
...uniques can get away with it so long as you don't break the stat limit, the affix part only really matters when it needs to be read-back (like in the case of 1 cube recipe IIRC), seeing as the stats are set once for those items and the runeword name overwrites the affix names for magic items, you'd never notice it

Some of it sounds superficial/harmless. Though what about things like "stat limit", is "stat limit" referring to the number of affix/suffix on an item, or to a single stat (such as attack rating or a skill, etc) being increased too much. Any idea what this limit might be and the consequences of exceeding it?

If there's the possibility of save game corruption due to enabling any of this, it becomes an unacceptable risk, even before the thought of sharing a mod with others and spreading such a risk.

Thanks for any clarification with this.
There are 3 main issues to consider here:
1) It may be possible to create broken items but putting runewords into magic or rare items and then using a cube recipe that alters a/the affix slot used by the runeword, I have never bothered to look deeply into this so its a 50/50 of: it may be harmless or it may corrupt save files.
2) You can easily overflow the item display and cause crashes if the item gets too much text from the runeword and the base item combined
3) The shear number of stats on items increases greatly when you enable runewords in magic/rare items, making it much easier to hit the 8KB savefile size limit.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Return to “General Mod Making”