Poison Damage Mechanic

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Poison Damage Mechanic

Post by Trevor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:44 am

A friend of mine posted his concerns with the Poison damage mechanic here.
Eruditio" wrote:As for poison, it fails terribly as a damage mechanic. It doesn't stack and it is always rewritten by the highest damage per tick (not duration). This means having a 'long' poison is almost impossible. Any character that has a poison 'theme' (ie more than 1 skill) is pretty much wasting their time trying to use 2 skills. It gets even more complicated when PLR is coupled with resistance and as monster res creeps up so goes any attempt at an actual damage-over-time. The reality is that physical, magical, fire, lit, cold are more than enough damage options for skill creativity.
For the other modders here, are there any considerations I can do to improve the poison damage mechanic? I kinda like the poison mechanic myself but I don't really have a sound counter to his issues with poison other than I like it. What have other modders done with the mechanic to make it more meaningful?

Thank you in advance.
AfterMath Overview: http://www.aftermathcentral.com

Following the path of least resistance is what makes rivers and men crooked.
- Author Unknown

Mod Completion: Always under Construction
D2SE Compatible Only

Playing AfterMath v3.0.1 ~ 1020 MB
Released March 31, 2017

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: Poison Damage Mechanic

Post by kingpin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:57 pm

You could recode it to allow it stack,

I have a skill on my necromancer in DA that stack x amount of times.

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:57 pm

How do I allow it to stack?
AfterMath Overview: http://www.aftermathcentral.com

Following the path of least resistance is what makes rivers and men crooked.
- Author Unknown

Mod Completion: Always under Construction
D2SE Compatible Only

Playing AfterMath v3.0.1 ~ 1020 MB
Released March 31, 2017

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:18 am

either by extend the unit, use counter or additional states to track different damages. But, it will require ce to accomplish in either way.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:50 am

Kingpin. Any chance to include improved poison damage into dreamlands?
I would say the best way to do poison damage is to simply add the existing damage remaining each time poison damage is applied to a unit, divided over the new duration.

That way each frame damage is dealt based on the current dps of the poison, and each hit adds the old dps to the new dps while resetting the duration of the poison. There's a bit of math in there but I think it's pretty simple and my point should be clear without writing out the formulas.

So, is that something you could wiggle into your plugin?

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:02 pm

There are a few things to consider:

Poison duration (quick poison x fire and forget)
How many targets are affected - For instance your poison tree could have single target skill with a powerful brief poison (i.e. you must reapply often) x aoe long duration poison
Range - A short range poison - the proverbial poison nova - must be stronger than a poison nova

Also consider a 8 second poison a long one.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:36 pm

k0r3l1k" wrote:Kingpin. Any chance to include improved poison damage into dreamlands?
I would say the best way to do poison damage is to simply add the existing damage remaining each time poison damage is applied to a unit, divided over the new duration.

That way each frame damage is dealt based on the current dps of the poison, and each hit adds the old dps to the new dps while resetting the duration of the poison. There's a bit of math in there but I think it's pretty simple and my point should be clear without writing out the formulas.

So, is that something you could wiggle into your plugin?
Wouldn't be an issue to add, just need make sure you can choose between existing poison calc or new one.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Yup. That would be fantastic. I've always thought the vanilla mechanic was terrible for reasons mentioned above.

RobertPaulson

Post by RobertPaulson » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:44 am

Hello, apologize for necro but I didn't want to spam with a new thread on the same issue.
kingpin wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:18 am
either by extend the unit, use counter or additional states to track different damages. But, it will require ce to accomplish in either way.

Was this ever implemented in any mod? I am very interested in extracting this feature and adding it to my mod. My knowledge is not gud enuf to do ce. If the answer to my question is no, what resources can I access to learn how to implement any of these solutions? I have a basic modding experience that ends on editing skill calcs etc, but the brief read on ce kinda flew over my head...

Thank you in advance.

Return to “General Mod Making”