[1.10] Collective Skills thread

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

mouse
Retired staff
Angel

Re: [1.10] Collective Skills thread

Post by mouse » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:56 am

[quote=Acromatic Aria";p="119544"] EDIT: Actually it DOESN'T work :cry: It worked before because I was testing it by specifically summoning the rogue in the rogue hireling column. [/quote]

so does this means we can make summonable hirelings? any idea if you can still equip them, etc and if it summons the same one with the same equip every time? that's some interesting possibilities there.
Last edited by mouse on Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pipkin

Post by Pipkin » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:47 am

Bow and Xbow Mastery

I had seen some discussion on bow mastery here and there and this is what i did: looking at sword mastery and claw mastery I decided to use claw mastery.

Skills.txt
cloned Claw Mastery and changed:
skill = Missile Mastery
ID = 357 or next in line
class = ama
skilldesc = missile mastery
passiveitype = miss (claw mastery had h2h)
itypea1 = miss (claw mastery had h2h)

States.txt
cloned clawmastery and changed:
state = missilemastery
Id = 181 or next inline

Skilldesc.txt
cloned claw mastery and changed:
skillpage to icon cell to 1 1 1 1 06
which puts the critical strike icon to the left of magic arrow on bowskill page

This seems to work fine when i use it and is limited to bows and xbows for bonuses.

HellSpawn

Post by HellSpawn » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:36 pm

After I've read all the posts about the problems with ranged summons I decided to give it a try. So after a few :roll: hours of experimenting I managed to give my necro summonable Oblivion Knights who use the DoomKnightMissile.

The only way I was able to get this done was by editing the "necromage" in monstats.txt as mentioned. So here's what I changed:

BaseId = doomknight3

MonStatsEx = necrodeadmage (for the new entry in MonStats2.txt

MonType = doomknight

Code = UM (the doomknights' code)

MonSound & UMonSound = doomknight

Skill1 = DoomKnightMissile

Sk1mode = S1

Then in MonStats2.txt I copied the "doomknight3" line to the bottom, changed the "Id" to necrodeadmage and emptied the "corpseSel" and "revive" fields.

Voila! My necro now has his own army of Oblivion Knights casting their elemental bolts. See them in action here

Note: I was unable to get them to use their other "sumskill#". Maybe the NecroPet doesn't support these?
"If the human mind was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it."
-Emerson Pugh

frankdave

Post by frankdave » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:11 pm

[quote=Char";p="119716"]okay, i will talk a bit, mostly about passive skills, since thats the field i made most things in :).

2. as we can see from this, passive skills are not very good to make dynamic things. for that, we can use auras. the negative aspect is that we have to give each character an item with "aura when equipped", which doesnt look all that good. but it works. the aura refreshes its stats every [perdelay] frames. it should also be possible to add passive stats that dont refresh in addition to the aurastats. for some reason, the auras dont seem to refresh if the stat drops to zero, no idea why, but i think that can be solved somehow (be creative ;)). of course, set the aura range to zero.
[/quote]

Would putting auras on charms work ?? these charms could easily be given as a reward for quests after that !!

Hope it doesnt sound too stupid...i'm really a newb at this !! :)

LordOfMars

Re: Would putting auras on charms work ??

Post by LordOfMars » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:34 pm

Nope, you can't equip charms.
The Martian Warlord

pmpch
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by pmpch » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:32 pm

According to Aello (link) the lnAB function resolves to..

A+(lvl-1)*B

and not A+lvl*B as previously thought, and stated in skilldesc.txt.
Last edited by pmpch on Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bedevere: Well, now, uh, Launcelot, Galahad, and I, uh, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the RABBIT, taking the French, uh, by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!
King Arthur: Who leaps out?

Profound_Darkness
Champion of the Light

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:54 am

a concept came to mind while reading this thread. I will use a sorceress as the prime concept character. Say recieve a skill point once every 5 levels or so (this part isn't important possible or not). make it so that skills can max level at 3 or something small (again this part isn't important doable or not). now insert synergies to skills *and* stats so that statpoints become important. Most sorcie skills would probobly be tied to energy and the spells damage would increase per level. Then you get neat stuff like for the charged bolt skill, each point gives x more bolts (more than vanila) but you don't gain more bolts per stat point (or could you?)

For a barbarian example have his warcries based on vitality, have his passives (turned to auras with radius 0 or 1, see I did read :) ) based on mana or some other stat, and his combat skills based on strenth. mix it up of course to make sense, this is a concept thought.

the key thing out of this post is: besides the x stats per y level and besides a limiting of max skill levels (this I know how to do) is what I described possible.

Basicaly this is a personal check for myself to see if I did absorb whats been said. (and a concept to boot)

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:55 am

[quote=frankdave";p="157121"]
Would putting auras on charms work ??
[/quote]

Yes, aura modifier on charm works. the term 'when equipped' is misleading.
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:56 am

Yes, aura modifier on charm works. the term 'when equipped' is misleading.
Charms is special, they are in game term's counted as "equipped" :)

Hygiliak
Champion of the Light
Romania

Post by Hygiliak » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:35 pm

This may sound stupid:
the oskill parameter works with skills like dodge on monster equipment. I tried it!!!
Death is not an option!

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:39 pm

the oskill parameter works with skills like dodge on monster equipment. I tried it!!!
So, your monster could dodge your attack? :)

In 1.10 final version oskill no longer gives assertion error when using it on a monster. But, so far I have never seen any effect by adding a skill to a monster. But, if you have got dodge working on the monster it's interesting.

Hygiliak
Champion of the Light
Romania

Post by Hygiliak » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:06 am

Dodge, Avoid, and Evade all work.
I missed a fallen 20 times in a row (dodge) and never got to hit a moving Quill rat (evade).
Maybe it works with some passive skills.
And maybe the reason oskill doesn't ususly work on monsters is that they don't have the AI to support extra skills (dumb dumb dumb :D )
So, unless somebody dives a little bit in the code to fix that, oskill it's impossible to work with active skills.
Death is not an option!

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:27 am

And maybe the reason oskill doesn't ususly work on monsters is that they don't have the AI to support extra skills (dumb dumb dumb )
Yes, this is the reason why the most oskill doesn't work on monsters.

Dodge, Avoid, and Evade all work.
I missed a fallen 20 times in a row (dodge) and never got to hit a moving Quill rat (evade).
Maybe it works with some passive skills.
That's good to hear, so any skill that doesn't require a skill use should work then :)

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Joel » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:49 am

Passives already worked by inserting them directly into monskill column.
The passive just triggers a set of test at every frame, so basically, they will work. Active skill is trippier.
I bet my pants that oskill of aura will work too.
"How much suffering, mortal, does it take before you lose your grace?"
Shadow Empire (coming soon) | forum

Hygiliak
Champion of the Light
Romania

Post by Hygiliak » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:41 pm

Parhaps, but isn't it the same thing if you use 'aura when equiped'?
I tried Holy Freeze on Frozen Horrors and it works perfectly... :twisted:

Hmmmm..
If I put this into an armor to be equiped on a Fallen Shaman :
oskill / Shaman Fire / 10 /15
will it work???
or it will ad just 3?
can I use skill mod with that?
Last edited by Hygiliak on Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Death is not an option!

Defilus
Paladin

Post by Defilus » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:30 pm

I made a huge accomplishment a few months ago: I had transformed most (if not all) of the barbarian's combat skills to jumping skills (Jump attack) to make him play like a Dragoon!

The process was rather difficult though as i had to keep copy/pasting from various other skills in skills.txt, and in the end the effect i wanted wasn't totally what I got, some stats were displaying awkwardly and elemental damage wasn't showing up at all on the skill.

But for me it was a great accomplisment, changing a class to be something completely different :)

EDIT: whoops, didn't see the date... :oops:
Last edited by Defilus on Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winamp Music Conversion Tutorial
Diablo 2: The Great Resurrection.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind."

tamerlane

Post by tamerlane » Wed May 11, 2005 10:38 am

but is it possible to give synergy to a passive skill that is not listed on the skill tree for the character? ie, as the character gives points to fire mastery her passive skill of holy fire/res fire are improved, making her a generally better character inherently.
"I'll wash me beard in yer blood!"

RicFaith
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by RicFaith » Wed May 11, 2005 11:31 am

yes it is possible. if you look at the files, the method they use for doing synergies is quite simple.

skill('whateverskill'.lvl)*parX

any calc column in the file can take these kind of calcs, so you could check the level (and other stuff) of any other skill, including skills that the class does not own.

basically when it comes down to the calcs, they don't care who owns the skill, they just check the values.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Ok, it was important for me to read this thread as I try to get up to speed again on skill editing, post-patch 1.09

But it has left me wondering a couple things that I don't seem to find answers to by doing a search:

1. Are there any player skills that still won't work as oskills and/or that cannot be moved to other characters? If so, what are they?

2. What's the current status of giving monster skills to players and/or cloning them for use as player skills? Is it really just a hit-or-miss, try them and find out what works situation? Or is there a general "most work/most don't work" theory at this time?
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:10 am

1. Just about every player skill will work as an oskill.

Leap and leap attack are buggy on most classes (the Assassin has a really cool leap animation!)

2. Giving monster skills to players is possible, but is a little more complicated. You have to basically make a clone of the skills missiles/effects by using an existing skill as your base. For example, you can make Diablo's red lightning by cloning Inferno and changing the missiles.
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Terms of Service:Beginners Guide:TTD:Tech Rant: TFW The Awakening

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:43 am

Just about every player skill will work as an oskill.
Every skill that doesn't use a sequence, anything with SQ listed will often only work for one class. To solve this change the mode from SQ to SC, and everything can be used everywhere.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:29 am

Nefarius";p="361866" wrote:
Just about every player skill will work as an oskill.
Every skill that doesn't use a sequence, anything with SQ listed will often only work for one class. To solve this change the mode from SQ to SC, and everything can be used everywhere.
Just a note: As PlayerSequence is hardcoded this is the best solution in most cases for players. The sequence is however sometimes required to have the actual skill to work as intended.

Return to “General Mod Making”