Pest Control Forge (Post your technical bug reports here)

Information and updates for the Cryptforge mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Zhoulomcrist

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Pest Control Forge (Post your technical bug reports here)

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Mon May 24, 2004 6:00 am

As it was with the last time the mod was released for 1.09D, I'm creating a new thread for posting your bug reports so I can stomp them bugs into splattered remains.

This is what we do to bugs at the Pest Control Forge in the Realm of Nocrodor.....

When bugs cause you to do this.... :OI:

I do this to the bugs....... :sonyfan:

POSTING RULES AND REGULATIONS

This thread is for posting the crashes, errors, graphical anomalies, etc.... that you may come across while playing the ACT 1 Demo of CryptForge. It IS NOT for reporting balancing issues for in-game difficulty.

Before you ask me, I'll go ahead and tell you now. If you try to go to ACT 2, it will crash :) . That area's not done yet.

Please do not bicker, moan, b-tch, yell, scream, or engage in any other form of mal-protocol while you're in here. Please do your best to keep it calm and clean in here.

If you have a bug to report, try to keep it as civilized as possible. I will do my absolute best to help you in the continuing effort on all our parts to make the mod better.

If you end up with an unhandled exception, warning, or an assertion error, please try to provide as much information on the error/warning as you can give me. There are lots of things that cause assertion errors and, therefore, the more information posted, the easier it will be for me to smack that error up-side the head with bullet-time active :mrgreen: .

If you have a suggestion to make the mod better. Please don't post it in this thread. All ideas, suggestions, and comments should be posted in their own threads unless, of course, they deal with in-game balance, which a dedicated thread is already available for.

Lastly, if you need help installing the mod, please don't post that here. If you are 100% certain that you installed the mod correctly and it is causing errors to happen, then post the error you're getting here.

If at all possible, when a problem ocurrs in-game, see if you can reproduce the error/crash/warning more than once. That will tell me if the error is consistant or intermitted and will help me track it down much easier.

Otherwise, have a good time and enjoy yourselves :) . I hope you like it. I will work hard to make sure that each new release is better than the last and not worse.

Best of luck, folks :) .
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Mon May 24, 2004 6:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

LordOfTheWastes

Re: Pest Control Forge (Post your technical bug reports here

Post by LordOfTheWastes » Tue May 25, 2004 4:48 am

I wasnt too sure if I should post this stuff here, not really bugs, just stuff not displaying properly. And in advance i dont know the spoiler text so ill just omit some of the uniques names for now...
OK here we go:
Diablo's Bone Prison spell shows up as "an evil force" when moused over
A unique robe(stats at bottom of post) I found also showed up as an evil force
A unique hand axe pic is offset.
Some two handed weapons are offset(the picture overlaps into whatever item is next to it) ,mainly two handed swords, I think ive seen a gnarled staff like that too.
When Baal is running, a mysterious shoulder seems to pop out of his chest...
The new Goatmen sound like the Fallen/Carvers/Devilkin when they die or attack and read Fallen/Carver/Devilkin when moused over, not sure if that was intentional

Ill be keeping my eyes open for some more stuff. Im totally having a blast with this demo,its freaking awesome, cant wait for the rest of it!!!
Excellent work!!!

ROBE STATS: 100% chance to cast lvl 20 fire mastery when you die
100% chance to cast lvl 20 fireball when you die
+30 to Energy +18 to Mana
Increase maximum Mana 43%
Lightning resist +47%
Extended warranty, how can I lose?

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Tue May 25, 2004 5:59 am

Thanx for the report.

I'll put the bug smasher to work on 'em :mrgreen: . I appreciate it. :)

EDITED
ROBE STATS: 100% chance to cast lvl 20 fire mastery when you die
Gadzooks 8-O

That stat's definitely gonna have to be changed. Thanx for displaying the stats for the robe. I'll get this one fixed for the first patch release.

The Robe you have is the Wisdom Wrap Robe. An analysis of the string tables turned up evidence that I had forgotten to include quite a few of the names at the bottom of the UniqueItems.txt into the string table file.

Once again, thanx for pointing them out. The pest control truck just arrived on site. :)
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Tue May 25, 2004 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Tue May 25, 2004 8:16 am

Alright, all of the above have now been fixed and those fixes will be present in the first patch release.

Thanks to LordOfTheWastes for the first bug reports. Here's a list of what got fixed.

Diablo's Bone Prison spell shows up as "an evil force" when moused over (Functional in the English version. International Language support is being added as well although additions will still appear in english.)

A unique robe(stats at bottom of post) I found also showed up as an evil force (Repaired as well as a disfunctional stat change).

A unique hand axe pic is offset. (Repaired)

Some two handed weapons are offset(the picture overlaps into whatever item is next to it) ,mainly two handed swords, I think ive seen a gnarled staff like that too. (Repaired and other weapons/armor are now being checked for proper offset and unique GFX offset)

When Baal is running, a mysterious shoulder seems to pop out of his chest... (This was a hard one. But, finally got repaired :) )

The new Goatmen sound like the Fallen/Carvers/Devilkin when they die or attack and read (Repaired)

Fallen/Carver/Devilkin when moused over, not sure if that was intentional (Repaired)

Thanx, again, a great deal for your feedback. :)

Here's some additional things that got fixed.

ACT 1 area names are now properly renamed.

ACT 1 Overworld lighting has been changed to represent the new atmosphere that is present. No longer just dungeon dark on the overworld. Now, red lighting is there as was in the 1.09D version.
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Tue May 25, 2004 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

UberBerzerker

Post by UberBerzerker » Tue May 25, 2004 4:34 pm

Great Mod :mrgreen:
Last edited by UberBerzerker on Tue May 25, 2004 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UberBerzerker

Post by UberBerzerker » Tue May 25, 2004 4:34 pm

how come it show a assassin whenever lord of destruction blocks. :)
its really weird and looks retarded.

Ketsueki

Post by Ketsueki » Wed May 26, 2004 1:30 am

I can't play... When I try to make a character and start a game I get this message:

Assertion Failure
Expression : ptItemStats != NULL

I am using the D2Common file that came with the demo. Is there anything I can do besides assume it somehow became corrupted and re-download?

Molmoch

Post by Molmoch » Wed May 26, 2004 4:53 am

Z,

Great demo! I really enjoyed it. I'll post my first impressions in a separate post so as to not violate rules...

Unique Large Axe shows up as an Evil Force.

Bloodforge does not seem to do any damage to skeletons. I think this might be intentional, but...

Terror's skill trees are messed up. Certain skills show as required level 6, but can not have points put in them.

Some of my other comments might be bugs, but might be game balance. See the other post / thread.

Edit: Unique ring Ring of Warding causes you to have 1 hp and not get healed from Akara.

Molmoch
Last edited by Molmoch on Wed May 26, 2004 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Wed May 26, 2004 7:31 am

[quote=UberBerzerker";p="175007"]how come it show a assassin whenever lord of destruction blocks. :)
its really weird and looks retarded.[/quote]

Indeed it does :) . Thanx for the report. I'll see it rectified for the first patch.

[quote=Molmoch";p="175119"]Z,

Great demo! I really enjoyed it. I'll post my first impressions in a separate post so as to not violate rules...

Unique Large Axe shows up as an Evil Force.

Bloodforge does not seem to do any damage to skeletons. I think this might be intentional, but...

Terror's skill trees are messed up. Certain skills show as required level 6, but can not have points put in them.

Some of my other comments might be bugs, but might be game balance. See the other post / thread.

Edit: Unique ring Ring of Warding causes you to have 1 hp and not get healed from Akara.

Molmoch[/quote]

Thanx :) .

I threw all unique item names into Patchstring.tbl. For the English version, it works fine. I'll also be patching for all internation languages as well which should fix that.

Blood Forge will be fixed in the next version. Thanx for pointing that one out. :)

I'll see what's up with Terror's Skill Tree and implement a solution to it.

The Ring of Warding will also be fixed.

Thanx, folks, for the reports. I'll stomp the snot out of these bugs :) .

Have fun :) .

LordOfTheWastes

Post by LordOfTheWastes » Wed May 26, 2004 9:03 am

Just doing what I can to help :) . All in all this is shaping up to be one totally bad@$$ mod. Good luck on the bug hunt.

UberBerzerker

Post by UberBerzerker » Thu May 27, 2004 12:34 am

how come I cant get teleport even when I'm level 18.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Thu May 27, 2004 1:04 am

http://www.planetdiablo.com/cryptforge/skills.txt

You need to download (by right-clicking and hitting Save As) the above file and put it in your Data\Global\Excel sub-directory.

The problem you are experiencing is very likely related to the accidental presence of Pre-Skill Requisites, something this mod is not supposed to have.

The above file will fix that (and hopefully fix the problem as well that you're having).

LordOfTheWastes

Post by LordOfTheWastes » Thu May 27, 2004 1:15 am

Got a couple more bugs for you Zhoul:

Whenever Mephisto blocks he turns back into the Necromancer.

And a more serious one.It seems to happen when shooting arrows at zombies. Ill hit one a couple times and I guess when it dies D2 crashes and i get this:
Assertion Failure
Expression: ecomponent<NUM_COMPONENTS

Hope that description isnt too vague.
Good Luck too you.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Thu May 27, 2004 1:31 am

Thanx for the report. :)

Baal also had this issue when blocking. I'll also fix this one.

I'll also check on the crash issue.

Thanx, again. :) .

Bloodless

Post by Bloodless » Fri May 28, 2004 9:43 am

Another unique robe displayed as evil force

an evil force
Defence:5
Durability 12 of 12
Required strength:12
+14 Dexterity
(Inreases During Daytime)
+27 Maximum Cold Damage
(Increases During Nighttime)
+ 16% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 25-30 Fire Damage
All Resistances +35
-2 To Light Radius

and buckler

an evil force buckler
Defence: 35
Chance to block:25%
Durability 7 of 7
Required strength: 2
100% chance to cast Level 10 Inner Sight on striking
+33% Faster Block Rate
+28 Defence
+25 Strength
+30 to Life
Half Freeze Duration
-3 to Light Radius
Ethereal

it's really cool...

Baal's Charged Spider Trail did damage to enemies(in desription wrote +10 walk/run speed)

Maybe I did smt wrong but all characters had 2 skill tree identical
(one consist of:Warmth,Glacial Spike,Fire Wall,Lightning,Ice Blast,Teleport,Telekinesis,Inferno,ice bolt,Fire bolt,Charged Bolt;another:Chain Lightning,Fire Ball,Bone Spirit,Holy Bolt(weird three prime evils with holy bolt),Prayer,Energy Shield,Nova Meteor,Fire/Lightning/Cold Mastery...

and when you creating new character you can hear him but don't see....
Last edited by Bloodless on Fri May 28, 2004 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's happen?
Something broken...
Waht's broken,Alice?
I'm broken (c) Alice

UberBerzerker

Post by UberBerzerker » Fri May 28, 2004 2:39 pm

thanks for the Help :)

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sat May 29, 2004 6:46 am

I'll fix the evil force bugs for the next patch for all languages. Be aware, though, that changes will appear in english, however.

It was intentional that you can hear the characters but not see them when selecting one on the Character Creation Screen.

It was also intentional that all characters have 2 identical Skill Trees.

In Diablo 1, every one could use the same magic if their stats met the requirements. In CryptForge, the two identical skill trees is my form of simulating that feature along with a third skill tree which has each class's unique skills.

I'll also fix the improper skill descriptions for the first patch as well. Thanx for your bug reports.

I got a bit of a slowdown recently for a couple of reasons.

1. My modem got shot by lightning last night. So, I had to replace it.

2. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King just released on DVD. So, I went and got it last Tuesday and spent alot of time watching it a couple of times.

There are a couple other things which I'd rather not speak about.

But, anyway, the patch is back in development for its release. My goal is for it to fix all of the bugs that yall have reported. I really appreciate the input yall have put into this.

The next thing I'm gonna do is write a FAQ for the site which will detail out the features of this mod so that players will hopefully be able to better understand what can and cannot be done with the mod.

I originally wanted to make a nice looking detailed section for the various item types, uniques, features, cube recipes, etc... on the site. But, for now, I feel like a FAQ will be much simpler and easier for me to do at this time so I can concentrate the majority of my efforts stabilizing and debugging the mod for yall along with getting the rest of the ACTs finished up.

Good luck and enjoy, folks :) .
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Sat May 29, 2004 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

LordOfTheWastes

Post by LordOfTheWastes » Sun May 30, 2004 7:56 pm

I havent hit any major bugs again :) . But i do have a couple more evil forces, that and today Diablo picked up a couple of the old D2 mana potions that restore over time instead of by percent like the ones from D1.

EVIL FORCE STATS:
Long Staff
two hand damage: 5 to 20
durability: 30/30
70% Increased Attack speed
160% enhanced damage
+21 to attack rating
-20 to energy
-3 to light radius
+50% enhanced damage to undead

Cloak
defense: 7
durability: 63/63
req. strength : 12
+30 to life(increases during nighttime)
+6 to all attributes
All resistances +20
Last edited by LordOfTheWastes on Sun May 30, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sun May 30, 2004 8:25 pm

As always, I thank you for your report :) .

It seems that everything, overall, is going real well with the release as opposed to the old 1.09D release.

Based on your reports, it's likely that all the uniques you come across will probably display as an evil force until the patch is released. I'm still investigating into this one.

I've had a hell of a last week (both good and bad). But, I'm gonna try real hard for tomorrow evening to be the patch release.
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Sun May 30, 2004 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LordOfTheWastes

Post by LordOfTheWastes » Sun May 30, 2004 10:33 pm

No problem. I'm glad to hear things are running smoothly and I really hope things start to get less stressful for you. In the meantime take it easy for awhile :snoopy: . You deserve it.

ETA

Post by ETA » Mon May 31, 2004 7:57 pm

I assume that the "Evil force" bugs are all related so have not been keeping a list of them but have noticed two "graphics problems.
Gnarled staves have 1x4 graphics on a 2x4 background and a unique small axe (don't remember a name...) had 1x3 graphics on a 2x3 backing.

Hope this helps!
Frodo Lives

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:04 am

I fixed alot of those offsets on the GFX for what will be the first patch. I hoped to have gotten it released tonight. But, I got a late start on it, today.

So, I won't be able to do that, unfortunately. Hopefully, though, sometime this week, I'll be able to get the patch released for the mod.

Bloodless

Post by Bloodless » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:30 am

OK with to 2 Identical tree for all characters is clear...but some of skills
couldn't be up:
(this skills for Baal don't try for another characters)
Chain Lightning,Fire Ball,Bone Spirit,Energy Shield,Nova,Meteor
Teleport,Firewall,Lightning,Ice Blast,Glacial Spike
:cry:

an problem with Baal Devistation:it's cost from 2 to 10 points of mana...
but kills usual monster from one strike...Smith from two...Andariel from three(6points up)...maybe better to balance it??or not?? :twisted:
and real damage don't write in description(just written
0 Percent Chance to Critical Strike)
Last edited by Bloodless on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's happen?
Something broken...
Waht's broken,Alice?
I'm broken (c) Alice

DeClineD
Retired staff
Angel

Post by DeClineD » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:09 pm

Heya... My turn now...

First of all: Really nice mod, nice and challenging (maybe a little too much, but i'm not getting one-hit killed.. :) )

Second... Some more bugs for death row:
Mephisto starts with 4 spell books.. No of the others start with any..

One of Baal's skills have the anims of charged bolt, but doesn do any dmg...

Baal: The "spider" skill has no dmg display and iirc it has some worng skilldesc.

Baal: when running south (or south-west) you can see the buckler asn is holding :)

I forgot some, but they'll come soon... :)

Keep on modding... We want the next acts too.. :)

DeClineD
Terms of Service
Beginner's guide v1.4 (Word|PDF)

Rodin

Post by Rodin » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:40 pm

I know the guidelines say not to post balancing stuff here, but having gone through the entire first page (which goes all the way to before the beta was released) didn't reveal one, so I guess I'll post these here:

The Spell books drop very unevenly. By the time my Diablo left Act 1 he had a level 18 Firestorm (the spell where he shoots out a massive wave of fire). This was enough to kill Andariel in two shots. I was able to run through the cathedral and catacombs using only that spell and almost never stopped running, as it splattered everything in it's path with contemptous ease.

By the same token, when I tried to play as Baal I hacked my way all the way through the Cold Plains without finding a single spellbook. At this point I gave up, as it was proving to be a pain in the ass to try and fight my way through with no skills whatsoever. Starting a character with a couple of spellbooks (or maybe just a +skill item) would be a good idea to prevent people from getting stuck due to bad drops.
"According to the doctors, I have a short atten....oooh something shiny!"

-Fighter, 8-bit theater.

Return to “CryptForge”