Creating new characters - Armor

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Creating new characters - Armor

Post by jetaman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Hello guys,
I've been playing around with 3d models recently and I realized that the available resouces from Skyrim/Oblivion can be used to create/replace all characters in D2. I decided to take this challenge, but only in small steps. I need your help as well.
So, first thing that I want to discuss is Armor. The problem is that Skyrim aproach to armor animation is totally different that in D2. I am torn between two approaches. I will try to be short.
Vanilla D2 approach
Advantages:
-Familiar for classic players;
-Looks natural; no mix with pieces that don't match;
-Requires no code editing;
-Character differ from each other;

Disadvantages:
-Requires more effort from me
-Difficult to find a certain number of similar armor pieces;
-Requires a lot of tweaking and playing around with 3d models;
Oblivion/Skyrim Approach:
Advantages:
-A totally new concept for D2; gives new feelings for those who are bored with vanilla;
-Requires less effor from me - because I render armor as is;
-A lot faster to do - because I will use the same armor animation for all characters;
-Allows practically infinite combinations of armor pieces on a character;

Disadvantages:
-Requires a bit of code editiing (e.g. I will need Boots to display LG animation and Gloves to display RA and LA animation)
-Character might look weird when wearing pieces from different sets (e.g. golden chest armor, fur hat etc)

Please post your thoughts on this, and if something is not clear - ask and I will answer. I need a lot ot help/guidance from you guys :)

Jeewdew
Paladin

Re: Creating new characters - Armor

Post by Jeewdew » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:28 pm

I never understod why armor would fit like it did in D2 - I would love to see the other approche... Hell if you don't want to look like an ass, don't dress like one!

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:00 pm

Take the one require less work for yourself;)

Cheers
Alpha

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Hey guys! So, I decided to get down to business. First thing I must do is create a basic look for each class. Then I should decide what armors will be included in the game. The scaling will be from light to heavy and there will be 18 different armor animations. I'm posting 52 screenshots from the moot popular Skyrim armor mod. I want you to comment and express your opinions - what armor will fit what class. I need your help!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

prodigypm
Banned
Champion of the Light

Post by prodigypm » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:16 am

Oblivion/Skyrim Approach - Since everything new is cool , specially for diablo 2. Love your work and your project site. Keep it up.
PS.Since I never wanted to be a modder or a developer of anything game related. Im just here for the sweet animations and the hope that someone will actually use them because they are worth it.
We're moving faster than lights and dealing with these demons inside so , Where are the ones who made us now!?

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:11 pm

Here's the Vanilla Skyrim Armor Demonstration (without expansions and mods). The goal is to choose 12 armor looks for our Barbarian Class. Feel free to comment and discuss. They might look dark and without proper lighting, but it's not a problem, since I can do everything I want with the textures. In the end they will look brighter.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

prodigypm
Banned
Champion of the Light

Post by prodigypm » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:51 pm

Image Damn. Looking so good in this armor , it feels really great , will give a different flavour to the game if some kind of conversion mod is done with them. Awesome work.
We're moving faster than lights and dealing with these demons inside so , Where are the ones who made us now!?

splintter

Post by splintter » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:58 am

These are incredabul dude well done

Doub
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Doub » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:52 am

Jeewdew" wrote:I never understod why armor would fit like it did in D2 - I would love to see the other approche... Hell if you don't want to look like an ass, don't dress like one!
I on the other hand think that armors, weapons and generally monsters, areas, atmosphere should fit the Diablo lore. For example i have came across many mods with monsters that are totally unfit or ugly for a Diablo game and i dont play these mods. What is a game after all? Visuals are important and they have to make sense and fit in the world that makes your game what it is.
I think games like Diablo should stick to their basic principles, the principles that make Diablo what it is, that differentiate Diablo from other games.

So yeah to reply to Jestaman. I would say go the hard way :/, even if that means converting less armors, but at least those few armors will look good and fit in the game.

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:06 pm

May I ask how it goes. Im really interested in this.

Cheers
AlphA

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Well, for now I concentrated on making new tilesets but work on character will continue. To be honest, it's more difficult than I expected - after all I'm re-using other game's animation (skeleton) which is not suitable for that kind of stuff, so sometimes it's hard to make animations.

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”