Ideas for a Sorceress mod

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Ideas for a Sorceress mod

Post by mmpx222 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:35 am

Hello folks. I've been thinking about making a mod that makes Sorceress builds more diverse. Many people seem to agree that the D2X vanilla Sorc just sucks in terms of variety. ~2/3rds of her skills are damage dealers and many of them are redundant. :(

I love problem solving, so I am challenging myself with a restriction: Stick to the vanilla D2 feel. This should feel like an "official" Blizzard patch rather than a total conversion. Also no code edits if possible, I'd like to master the basics of text files before diving deeper.

Here is my general plan so far.

Fire Skills
  • Needs a debuff skill(s), preferably one that reduces enemy fire resistance
  • Needs a single target/boss killing skill
  • Blaze should be a utility spell (increase walking speed?)
  • Improve Inferno
  • Fire Wall and Meteor have overlapping roles (delayed AoE nuking) -- change?
Cold Skills
  • Too many freezing/chilling skills - separate mezzing and damage dealing
  • Also needs a specialized boss killer
Lightning Skills
  • Nova and Charged Bolt have similar roles--change Nova to a utility spell?
  • Lightning Mastery is boring, maybe change it to "increase minimum damage" so that lightning spells have more even damage output
Please give feedback on my plan. Any good ideas will be appreciated
D2TXT / D2INI - Python scripts for editing TXT files, or converting between TXT ↔ INI files

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Re: Ideas for a Sorceress mod

Post by Desocupado » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:10 pm

The no code edition restriction makes it tough to make a good balance - specially when it comes to enemy immunity.

Points of difficulty:
Mana costs / Mana growth
Enemy immunity/resistance (specially uniques)
+boni to all skills
Stat synergy (most people use some sort of energy factor)
Respect skills
Double mastery effects bug (for fire skill damage bonus and enchant/auras)
1 point wonders
Area x single target skills
Poor gameplay skills
Casting delays
Useless weapon mods

Here a few solutions (that can be done sofcoded):

Mana costs / Mana growth
--> Fix mana costs for most skills or make skills get significantly cheaper with skill points
--> Most single target skills can be free of mana cost
--> Remove energy per level and per Energy stat point

Stat synergy (most people use some sort of energy factor)
--> Remove energy per level and per Energy stat point
--> Use the sinergy field from skills to put a synergy with the stat

Enemy immunity/resistance (specially uniques)
--> Remove skill synergies (so we don't have fire only sorcs)

+boni to all skills
--> Make it a common mod for "caster" weapons - make it scale (let's say +5 for level 50 items, and +15 for level 80, and so on...)
--> Use math to calculate damage growth

Double mastery effects bug (for fire skill damage bonus and enchant/auras)
--> Create new stats for every elemental (and physical/poison/magic skills while you are at it), that work with the synergy/formulae fields from skills/missiles avoiding all bugs

1 point wonders
--> Use mana / casting delay to balance it
--> Cap all skills to max level of 1

Area x single target skills
--> As a rule of thumb a single target skill should do 3 times more damage than one that aways hit 4 or more targets
--> Use stats like "ranged thorns" or chilling armor to make using aoe spells less wise
--> Higher mana costs can make up for area damage, without decreasing damage

Poor gameplay skills
--> Nova, hydra, chain lightning need some weakness to become interesting (nova does low damage, chain lightning could only rebounce at clustered enemies, or move slowly)
--> Low mana cost + Low damage makes the skill harder to use (as you have to stand still casting several times in a row)

Casting delays
--> They are really boring unless the skill is super strong and unique

Useless weapon mods
--> use calc field from skills with new stats such as:
+% summon health / damage / amount
+% missile amount (specify which skills in their descriptions) / -x% damage
+% Spell/buff duration
-25% elemental pierce (at most) instead of a good elemental bonus

Be careful with -Res mod
Against a target with 75% resistance a -25% doubles up the damage

mmpx222" wrote: Fire Skills
  • Needs a debuff skill(s), preferably one that reduces enemy fire resistance
  • Needs a single target/boss killing skill
  • Blaze should be a utility spell (increase walking speed?)
  • Improve Inferno
  • Fire Wall and Meteor have overlapping roles (delayed AoE nuking) -- change?
1 - Try a summon, like a druid spirit, with such aura
2 - Firebolt, Blaze and Hydra are the best for that
3 - Increase duration of the spell, decrease flame duration (it's in missile.txt)
4 - The damage is 2/3 of what's displayed, correct the skill description and increase damage (increases marginlly if you want to keep the range small)
5 - Remove the flame patch from meteor (or make it do 2/3 o impact and 1/3 on flames) or also make the flames last less time
mmpx222" wrote: Cold Skills
  • Too many freezing/chilling skills - separate mezzing and damage dealing
  • Also needs a specialized boss killer
1 - Remove cold duration from most skills
2 - Freezing blast would be best, blizzard and frozen orb are good as well
mmpx222" wrote: Lightning Skills
  • Nova and Charged Bolt have similar roles--change Nova to a utility spell?
  • Lightning Mastery is boring, maybe change it to "increase minimum damage" so that lightning spells have more even damage output
1 - Charged bolt is good at close range (as more bolts hit the same target) Nova doesn't have such rewards - maybe nova could be stronger when you have more (or less mana) to spice up the gameplay
2 - Mastery skills are boring by definition, that idea is sound (tough it also just accomplishes increased damage)

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Post by mmpx222 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:30 pm

Wow I didn't expect such a detailed analysis, thanks for your insight!

About resistances -- I think not being able to break immunities is okay, since the MOD is going to encourage 2-element or 3-element sorceress builds. Specifically, all Sorceress spells will cap at 10 skill points, allowing (forcing?) people to spread SP across more skills.

Energy factor - Median XL has an interesting but hard-to-grasp approach; It's difficult to visualize how everything works. D2:Elements has it a bit simpler but still too complex for me. I'm thinking of adding an energy bonus to the primary damage dealing spells, just like how weapons receive bonus damage from strength and dexterity.

E.g. Fire Wall has a damage bonus of 100 energy, which adds +1% damage per energy (capped at 100%). Meteor has a damage bonus of 50 energy, which adds +0.5% damage per energy (capped at 100%).
D2TXT / D2INI - Python scripts for editing TXT files, or converting between TXT ↔ INI files

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:09 am

There is another alternative for energy.

Use it for extra effects (calling it Mastery/Expertise/Control/Domain/Knowledge) let's say every 50 points make charged bolt release 1 more bolt.

Heck you could make Dexterity increase damage for spells instead.

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Post by mmpx222 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Increasing # of bolts-great idea! I should try to keep from making energy or dexterity into a "go-to" stat though.

Progress report:

I am testing Inferno with knockback and it's actually pretty fun vs melee mobs. Since the inferno missile is slow I have to decide which units I want to push back while my merc finishes them :) Thanks to the damage, it also feels quite different from spamming telekinesis.

Blaze + increased walking speed is actually a lot of fun as well--I run around making huge fields of fire and fighting mobs :) also good for breezing through those narrow dungeons.

Problem: I'm still looking for a way to attack a debuff to Fire Bolt, it seems several people have tried making a damage+debuff spell before but none have been too successful :(

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:34 pm

mmpx222" wrote:Increasing # of bolts-great idea! I should try to keep from making energy or dexterity into a "go-to" stat though.

Progress report:

I am testing Inferno with knockback and it's actually pretty fun vs melee mobs. Since the inferno missile is slow I have to decide which units I want to push back while my merc finishes them :) Thanks to the damage, it also feels quite different from spamming telekinesis.

Blaze + increased walking speed is actually a lot of fun as well--I run around making huge fields of fire and fighting mobs :) also good for breezing through those narrow dungeons.

Problem: I'm still looking for a way to attack a debuff to Fire Bolt, it seems several people have tried making a damage+debuff spell before but none have been too successful :(

Wouldn't knockback decrease inferno damage? (would be good for fire bolt tough - gameplay-wise)
Be careful with Blaze, Mob AI (or lack of) makes it potentially too good.
It doesn't occur to me a missile that does both things (apply a state and do damage) - perhaps the skill should release 2 different missile with both effects. Try using search with "state" and "damage"

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Post by mmpx222 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Desocupado" wrote:
mmpx222" wrote:Increasing # of bolts-great idea! I should try to keep from making energy or dexterity into a "go-to" stat though.

Progress report:

Wouldn't knockback decrease inferno damage? (would be good for fire bolt tough - gameplay-wise)
Be careful with Blaze, Mob AI (or lack of) makes it potentially too good.
It doesn't occur to me a missile that does both things (apply a state and do damage) - perhaps the skill should release 2 different missile with both effects. Try using search with "state" and "damage"
I'm not sure about damage loss, but Inferno damage is buffed and I have knockback chance at 50 so it's not really noticeable. More importantly, the knockback prevents melee monsters beating my Sorc to death while she is stuck in place casting Inferno.

Also Inferno doesn't mix with other no-delay skills because of its wind-up/cooldown animation time. Stopping between flame puffs to cast fire bolt/fire bal actually reduces the damage output and makes the Sorc vulnerable during the brief pauses.

Blaze is quite powerful at low levels but I feel it's okay since it will be reduced to a utility role in the higher levels.

Meanwhile, I figured a solution to the Fire Bolt problem (with some limitations).

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Post by mmpx222 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:11 am

Okay, this is my first attempt at a mod. Not too bad for someone who's been ~1 week into modding.

I'm calling it BESPEX for Better Single Player Experience. Though it's not much, I hope someone may find value it it :P

Features:
  • Sorceress spells have been tweaked/redesigned
  • Instead of the LoD synergy system, skills receive bonus damage from +energy. Some skills receive bonus from mana spent (i.e. they become stronger the more mana you spend).
  • Some skills have been nerfed/altered to keep things from being too easy
  • It's a mini-mod, so don't expect any quest or monster changes. I'm sorry.
Attachments
bespex-0.1.zip
(148.5 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Re: Ideas for a Sorceress/Druid/Paladin mod

Post by mmpx222 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:34 am

My next goals are to rework Druid/Paladin skill trees...so far I've had some interesting ideas for synergies.

Synergies on Mana

Some skills would receive synergies from maximum mana; equipment that increases mana or energy will make these spells stronger. Other skills would become stronger as you spend mana -- the more mana you lose, the more damage you deal. It would encourage you to manage your mana and keep attacking, similar to how Frenzy/Feral Rage/Maul encourages players to keep fighting.

Synergies on Life

Similar to synergies to mana, having +life gear would increase damage for some skills. However, life is already a highly valuable stat, so I think it's not appropriate to make it even more important.

Synergy based on life lost--now this is much more interesting. A skill that becomes stronger as you become more hurt? It would encourage you to be bold and carefully manage your life--however, since there are very few ways to directly reduce life (apart from voluntarily getting hit by mobs), it may be frustrating to manage. Overall, synergies on life don't seem to be as good as synergies on mana.

Synergies on Stamina

Stamina is a very underrated stat, and mostly serves to annoy low-level players by preventing them from running around. Why not add synergies to stamina?

Sure, I could add skills that receive bonus damage by having or spending stamina. However, there are two problems: (1) stamina is hard to control, and (2) stamina potions/shrines instantly give +100% stamina. Since +vitality gives stamina, and very few equipment gives stamina, it would be hard to balance. Also, having stamina synergy would mean that players are forced to always walk around to save stamina, or always run around to keep stamina drained. All-in-all, very hard to balance. Sigh.

Synergies on Elemental Resistance

Some skills would become stronger as you gain more elemental resistance (e.g. +30% fire resistance gives +15% fire damage). This would use total resistance before penalties and caps are applied, so it would be okay (and even encouraged) to overstack resistances beyond the maximum of 75%. This has the added benefit of making Resist Fire/Resist Lightning/Resist Cold much more useful.

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Sat May 10, 2014 12:02 pm

There were some discussion on a similar subject: (mostly mana use, mana gain and gameplay)
Whist Mod Mana Concept

About having current Mana, Life or Stamina, it provides a change to gameplay.
  • Mana can also go both ways, having more/stronger effects at higher mana, makes you conservative. So you'd try to make larger group of enemies, to hit them all with more damage.
  • Indeed one would need both "Sacrifice" and "Hunger" to be able to control life. A workaround is using a threshold synergy, i.e. the skill does +50% damage if you are bellow 50% health.
  • Stamina is boring to control indeed (both for player and modder)
Well with resistances as synergies those classes would alter how they itemize.
"I'll pick a resistance I don't benefit as much to get more damage with the skills I use".
"I'd avoid resistances with classes without synergy, for a more offensive inclined attribute".

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Post by mmpx222 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:48 am

I've been trying to make spells apply a state to the caster, so that certain spells would give additional mana-after-kill or +mana regen. To do this I tried using several server functions in skills.txt on all of the Sorceress skills.

srvdofunc 18 (frozen armor/shiver armor/chilling armor)

This is the one I had the most success. The following skills properly apply the given aurastate (using auralencalc for duration) to the caster: Ice Bolt, Ice Blast, Glacial Spike, Frozen Orb, Lightning, Fire Bolt, Fire Ball. Inferno also works, but since the duration is set at the beginning of casting, it's better to use srvdofunc=2 instead (see below).

I noticed these skills have no srvstfunc/srvdofunc by default, and rely soley on their missile functions.

srvdofunc 2 (concentrate/berserk)

This worked similarly to srvdofunc 18, except that the aurastate only lasted during the casting animation. This makes it useful for only one Sorceress skill...guess it...Inferno! Replacing its default srvdofunc (19) with 2 seems to work fine.

I also tried giving srvstfunc=39 / srvdofunc=2 to some skills, this caused a weird behavior: the spell damage and aurastate works only if the skill is aimed by clicking on a monster. Clicking on a map does spawn the missile, but it does no damage, and the aurastate is not applied.

Other srvdofuncs

I tried srvdofunc=23 (blaze) and srvdofunc=29 (thunder storm), thinking that since they apply states that can deal damage, they would work on other skills as well. Wrong! They don't work at all when given to Fire Bolt/Ice Bolt/etc.

But what about other skills?

Apart from the 8 skills mentioned above, no Sorceress skills seem to work with aurastates. The exception is Nova/Frost Nova, which can be made to work by:
  1. Remove its srvdofunc and cltdofunc, which are responsible for spawning the nova/frostnova missile. We are going to delegate the nova effect to the missiles, so that the skills.txt entry can use the aurastate.
  2. Create a new row in missiles.txt. Let's call this the nova carrier.
  3. Make the nova carrier spawn the nova/frostnova missile when exploding. (Search the forum for more info, many people have info on making a nova missile with frozen orb)
  4. Set the nova carrier's velocity to 0 and range to 1, so that it explodes right after spawning.
  5. Make the (Frost) Nova skill use the nova carrier missile.
  6. Finally, add the necessary aurastate/auralen info to (Frost) Nova (with srvdofunc=18 or 2 as needed)
This works but there is an occasional glitch where some of the nova missiles don't align correctly, I haven't found a way to fix this yet, though reducing the number of missiles spawned seem to help.
Attachments
nova-by-forb-bug.jpg
Don't know how to fix this bug. help plz!

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Post by mmpx222 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:02 am

What started as a tiny project for Sorceress improvements has now grown to include Paladins and Druids into account. I almost wish I hadn't :P

Here's a new version with polished (new) skills, better item drops, and a more fancy readme. If I ever continue working on this mod, I will create a new thread rather than keep posting here.
Attachments
bespex-a_2.zip
(248.58 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Post by mmpx222 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:18 am

Some neat tricks with my discoveries: how to make a spell that charges up, or "winds up", similar to D3 Wizard's Disintegrate, or the TF2 Heavy's wind-up attack.

Missile spells (Fire Ball, Fire Bolt, etc.)

The trick is to apply a temporary state that boosts your +% Fire/Cold/Lightning Skill Damage, by adding a fixed amount of +damage to your current amount. For example, let's say that we want to change Fire Bolt like this:

Code: Select all

(skills.txt, Fire Bolt entry)
srvdofunc:      18
aurastate:      resistfire
auralencalc:    25
aurastat1:      passive_fire_mastery
aurastatcalc1:  stat('passive_fire_mastery'.accr)+5
Let me explain this.
  • srvdofunc = 18 is the server function from Frozen/Shiver/Chilling armor. This will apply a temporary state upon yourself, using auralencalc = 25 as duration.
  • We need a state for the temporary buff -- though you should make a new one in states.txt, let's improvise with the Paladin's underused Resist Fire aura (aurastate = resistfire) for now.
  • passive_fire_mastery is the +% Fire Skill Damage stat.
Now for the important part: aurastatcalc1=stat('passive_fire_mastery'.accr)+5. When the game applies the buff, This formula tells the game to examine your current amount of +%FSD, and apply an additional +5% FSD to it, whenever casting the buff. When you already have this state active, the new state will overwrite the previous one, resulting in a +5% increase per each cast. As long as you keep the buff active (i.e. keep casting), your Fire Bolt will continue to increase in damage. However, should you let the buff expire, the bonus +FSD will drop back to zero.

Clearly, this setup is imbalanced (allows unlimited damage stacking) and would probably cause some wonkiness with Fire Mastery and other sources of +%FSD. A good alternative is to create a new stat that controls the actual +%FSD, and is guaranteed to be zero at the onset:

aurastat1:      firebolt_chargeup_stat
aurastatcalc1:  min(stat('firebolt_chargeup_stat'.accr)+5,100)
aurastat2:      passive_fire_mastery
aurastatcalc2:  stat('firebolt_chargeup_stat'.accr)

Inferno and Arctic Blast

Inferno and Arctic Blast cannot directly take the "ramp up" approach with srvdofunc 18, because the function is only called once, as you begin to emit the first puff of firey/icy breath. However, we can take an alternate trick: apply a temporary debuff that reduces damage for the first 3 seconds.

(skills.txt, Inferno entry)
srvdofunc:      18
aurastate:      resistfire
auralencalc:    75
aurastat1:      passive_fire_mastery
aurastatcalc1:  -50
This makes your Inferno do 50% less damage during the first three seconds, but then kick up to full damage as the debuff wears out. Of course, should you be interrupted mid-breath, you have to start the casting all over again, dealing with the 3 seconds of downtime.

JDS
Paladin

Post by JDS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 pm

I think what would be cool would be to make the lightning skills CTC. Of course this requires extensive code editing.

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Post by mmpx222 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 pm

JDS wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 pm
I think what would be cool would be to make the lightning skills CTC. Of course this requires extensive code editing.
By CTC, I assume a melee attack that has a chance to Lightning/Chain Lightning/Nova? It might be doable. Clone Charged Strike and put a formula in calc1:

(rand(0,100) < 35) ? 1 : 0
Not tested, but this should spawn a single Charged Bolt 35% of the time. Then replace srvmissile/cltmissile with whatever missile you want.

JDS
Paladin

Post by JDS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:38 pm

mmpx222 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 pm
JDS wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 pm
By CTC, I assume a melee attack that has a chance to Lightning/Chain Lightning/Nova? It might be doable. Clone Charged Strike and put a formula in calc1:

(rand(0,100) < 35) ? 1 : 0
Not tested, but this should spawn a single Charged Bolt 35% of the time. Then replace srvmissile/cltmissile with whatever missile you want.
Hm, interesting. What about cast on being hit?

mmpx222
Paladin
Korea South

Post by mmpx222 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:52 pm

'Cast X When Struck' passives are impossible. You could clone Chilling Armor, but it also seems to be hardcoded to only react to missiles. Or we could add a hit-skill curse to every monster in the game, which applies a stat (how Median 2008 did things).

JDS
Paladin

Post by JDS » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 pm

Another idea: make a blaze that follows not you, but an enemy. Maybe it's possible with guided arrow or whatever skill those Act4 mobs use.

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”