Idea to make MA sin viable (skill mechanic)

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

No votes

Total votes: 0

kazein
Paladin

Idea to make MA sin viable (skill mechanic)

Post by kazein » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:36 am

(Title implies non-damage increase to make them viable - which works fine too :P

I haven't checked if it's do-able just yet or even if someone's done this before for that matter, wanted to share my idea first. Hoping someone will come in with uber skill modifying knowledge and write three paragraphs on how it's done.)

Have the skills be able to insta-cast on, like an enchant skill. Instead of hitting to build up orbs, just cast the skill.
(would make sense for the vanilla damage and the duration of the orbs)

Thought of this when I was trying to think of a nova-on-hit skill for the barbarian without the player just shift+clicking to cast it.

SilverShadowHell
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: Idea to make MA sin viable (skill mechanic)

Post by SilverShadowHell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:56 pm

Uhm.. so you want to cast a buff that makes another skill stronger as long as it's on, but after the skill is used once the buff goes of, right?

Well first make a dummy stat (stat that doesn't do anything), then copy a buff skill (like fade) and make it give you that dummy stat and nothing else. Create 2 (yes, two) aura states in the same group, one with an animation, one without an anim but BOTH in the same group (so when one is activated it stops the other). Now give you're second skill the aura state with no anim for just 1 frame and make it have parameters based on the dummy stat. You'll probably have to avoid the original MA skills as AFAIK they're full of bugs.

Sorry I'm 11 days late (you probably solved it by now) and that I'm not writing 3 paragraphs (I'm kinda rusty you know).
WAR!!!!!!!....... don't worry.. I'm working on it
http://iloveshaders.blogspot.com/

kazein
Paladin

Post by kazein » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah, I was right to think the charge-up skills should be cast-to-charge ...

Check out the charges' skill descriptions:
(Notice it doesn't mention stealing anything from monsters (logically giving a reason to have to hit something to charge it up) or having to hit targets to charge up the skills)
Fists of Fire:
Combining her powerful Martial Arts abilities with her psychic training, an Assassin can charge her own fists with pyrokinetic energies, scorching her opponents when the charge is released.
Claws of thunder:
Using her weapon's metal blades as conductors, an Assassin charges the ions surrounding her and delivers a devastating lightning attack to any who dare challenge her. (Requires equipped Claw-class weapon.)
Blades of Ice:
Charging the ether around her claw blades, the trained Assassin can chill opponents with a vicious rake of her razors. (Requires equipped Claw-class weapon.)
Phoenix Strike:
This mighty skill allows the Assassin trained in its arts to prepare an attack that gives off powerful elemental energies.
@ SilverShadowHell
-I want use the same abilities that the skills provided. What I got out of your post is that you want to have an aura on temporarily that boosts stats on strike, which can already be done with something like berserk or concentrate.

What I wanted to do is different, the vanilla method of charging the attacks is by successfully hitting a monster - instead, I want to be able to charge the skill just by casting it. (i.e. right-click once and there's a single orb around you, second click - two orbs, third click -final and third orb)

SilverShadowHell
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SilverShadowHell » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:35 pm

kazein" wrote:What I wanted to do is different, the vanilla method of charging the attacks is by successfully hitting a monster - instead, I want to be able to charge the skill just by casting it. (i.e. right-click once and there's a single orb around you, second click - two orbs, third click -final and third orb)
You can try playing with the setting a little and making them not require to hit, but I don't think it will work without CE.

But I have a question... won't that just be annoying? You will have to right click 3 times instead of one for the same effect, but more powerful. Only Phoenix strike will have a different effect.

Anyway I think the idea is interesting and you should try exploring the different ideas, I have a lot of exams right now so I can't test, but I'm very curios to whether this is possibly and as soon as I finish with exams I'll start toying around with MA.
WAR!!!!!!!....... don't worry.. I'm working on it
http://iloveshaders.blogspot.com/

kazein
Paladin

Post by kazein » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Well, don't do my work for me. I posted this hoping someone has already tried it or is experienced enough to tell me if it is possible+method or not.

Oh, but I guess, if you wait on me - you might be waiting a little while ^_^

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”