Perk system

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

No votes

Total votes: 0

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Perk system

Post by mirecek » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:09 pm

Hello, I had strange idea about some new special skills (if it can be named skills)

Many of you already played fallout games. Perks are something like skills that can be added or graded during playing and gaining higher levels. Something that I want add to diablo, but a little differently. Need make for expample 10 skills for choosing. The main purpose is disable adding to another skills when you allocate skillpoint into one of them, also one char can have only one special perk, not all.

Some people have in their mods something like this but in form of charm that can be cubed to create something with +oskill or another properties. But for example anni can be cubed many times, altough it has carry 1. I read the merc-only tutorial but I just want to try as skills, not as charms witch countcheck and decreasing vita stat.

some of perks can be used to d2, some cannot. This is a part of list of these which could be used...

Snake eater - more resistant to poison atacks
narcoman: -pois resist, but quickly get out of poison (lowers pois duration)
quickshot - faster attack rate(ias), but no time for aiming ( lowers atack rating)
gifted - no coment, this perk was one of my favourites traits on starting (+ to all stats)
swift learner - adds experience bonus
businessman - lowers npc prices
ghost - fade state and - radius (hmm useless but somebody can choose that)
treasure hunter - adds magicfind bonus
die hard - when hp get under 1/4, adds higher damage reduction
fastest metabolism - higher hp and mana regen, lowers pois resist.
pyroman - fire skill damage bonus, fire resist
ranger - adds attack and damage bonus to missile weapons
adrenaline rush - when life het under 1/3 adds enhanced damage, walk speed, and increased speed bonus
radiation child - poison heals you instead damaging (some insane pois absorb?)
more criticalls - adds deadly, crushing blow, chance to headshot
entertainer - chance to be convert enemy

and some next that can be discutted here :)
need some ideas how to getiin this... but I am not sure if is in correct category, need solve how-to-get-work, then apply ideas to skills.

Thanks
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

SilverShadowHell
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SilverShadowHell » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:42 am

So... you basicaly need to find a way to make skills dissabled when you add to another skill?? To accomplish this just put the following formula in collumn skpoints:

(skill('skillname1'.blvl)+skill('skillname2'.blvl))=0?1:(stat('skillpoints'.accr)+1)

Skillname1 & Skillname2 whit the skill that if you add a point to them this skill won't be able to be selected, you can even more of these skills but be carefull because you can't add more than 255 chars in a formula so I'm not sure how you will be able to add 9 skills (because you have 10 total).
Something else that you can do if add to all skils (if they are passive skills) a stat, and make the formula check for that stat instead of skills:

(stat('statname'.accr))=0?1:(stat('skillpoints'.accr)+1)

In any of these formulas the skill will always require one more of how many skill ponts you have.

Using the system whit the stat (if you make it a saved stat) you can even make a curse that a monster can cats on you and you won't be able to add skill points till you find the cure for it :twisted:
WAR!!!!!!!....... don't worry.. I'm working on it
http://iloveshaders.blogspot.com/

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Re: Perk system

Post by mirecek » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:34 am

Alright, the second idea sounds better. If I understand correctly, there´s a way to disable other skills that give all of them stat check all those stat.

Let´s give expample (for beggining, no skill changes)

Barbarian´s masteries. Swo,Axe,Mac,Pole,Thr,Spe

Need to add this stat check and stat. Create state that has no overlay efect, give him name "perkcheck"
in skpoints collumn, would be this correct?:

(stat('perkcheck'.accr))=0?1:(stat('skillpoints'.accr)+1)
Last edited by mirecek on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

SilverShadowHell
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SilverShadowHell » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:07 am

don't add any state, add only a new stat (in itemstatcosts.txt) and make your passives give + 1 to it.

Go in itemstatcosts.txt and add a new dummy stat named "perkcheck".

The open up skills.txt, add it in one of the passivestatX and in the passivestatcalcX collumn put 1, do this for each passive skill
*remember that the last stat added by a skill must be the one written in states.txt in it's state for all of them to take effect*

Then in the skpoint collumn, if you add the formulae that you told me tehre will be a problem, this will make your skills be lvl 1 max, because adding to the skill will make it so that you won't be able to add to it again (adding to the skill will add to the stat too) so use this one insteadif you want to have a max lvl more than one for those skills:

(stat('perkcheck'.accr)-lvl)>0?(stat('skillpoints'.accr)+1):1

In english this means: "if total perkcheck stat minus skill level is greater than zero the skill will cost one more than the skill points availeble, else it will cost 1 skill point"

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:11 pm

Go in itemstatcosts.txt and add a new dummy stat

-added new line, next ID name and zero as end of line.

The open up skills.txt, add it in one of the ,passivestatX, calcX ..

-found sword mastery.... there are some states also add to the next free collumn passivestat4 (perkcheck) and calc4 (1)

(stat('perkcheck'.accr)-lvl)>0?(stat('skillpoints'.accr)+1):1

-tried this value..... I get funny thing: I can add skillpoints into those skills but free skillpoints not draining (losing, getting down) also on 1st lup ^^ ( at 2nd level I can add 2 skillpts and not loose my 1 free skillpt, on 3rd level I can add next skillpt and have 2 free to distribtue on another skills)

*remember that the last stat added by a skill must be the one written in states.txt in it's state for all of them to take effect*

-this is maybe solution.... i don´t understood that correctly. Has that dummy stat from itemstatcost something to do with states?

thx
edit: grammar
Last edited by mirecek on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SilverShadowHell
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SilverShadowHell » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:41 pm

first of all be carefull STAT and STATE are NOT the same thing

I'm not the least surprised that it causes problems, that formulae is a ever changing one, try adding this one (lvl<1)?((stat('perkcheck'.accr))=0?1:(stat('skillpoints'.accr)+1)):1

To make the stat work add 1024 in the divide collumn and try giving it a Save Bits value and a Save Add value
Last edited by SilverShadowHell on Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:22 pm

The 'next level :' stats are basically the current stats with +1 skill level applied to them (as in the item modifier). Maybe changing lvl to blvl would work better.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

misharohac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by misharohac » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:16 pm

This is turning into quite the skill making tutorial! Maybe when the definitive solution is arrived at, it can be posted in the Skills forum.

Mirecek: pozor... slovo "state" je cesky "stav" a slovo "stat" je zkratka pro "statistika"

Getting away from the technical side of the issue and back to the concept for a moment, would you be able to choose this "perk" at the beginning of the game, or later? Furthermore, once you've chosen your perk, would it be a "one-point" skill, or could you add more points to it?

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:11 pm

I just asked on this, because I am not sure if had fully understood.
SilverShadowHell";p="292054" wrote: *remember that the last stat added by a skill must be the one written in states.txt in it's state for all of them to take effect*
I know that stat and state are different values, but I don´t understant what can do stat from itemstatcost with states.txt (from silver´s post)
Brother Laz";p="292067" wrote: The 'next level :' stats are basically the current stats with +1 skill level applied to them (as in the item modifier). Maybe changing lvl to blvl would work better.
okay, say in where´s that located, I have no idea at this time where can be this applied. Maybe easy thing /for you/ but no one is as great as Laz ;)
misharohac";p="292076" wrote: Getting away from the technical side of the issue and back to the concept for a moment, would you be able to choose this "perk" at the beginning of the game, or later? Furthermore, once you've chosen your perk, would it be a "one-point" skill, or could you add more points to it?
I had played fallout tactics previous month (thats why you didn´t heared my nervous cries here ^^ like dem...katana) and I decieded that D2 moding is a little addictive thing and I got an idea. Perks are something like skills. I had played many mods where you could pump into skills many much than 20 points... but not many tried not uber skills with one point with in.

Characters could have their original count of skills, but maybe 4th skillpage can have perks. This can be allocated into perk trees, and have prereqilisities in professy. Or redone skills to 2 skillpages and one perkpage. Skill can be one point only or need more skillpoint than 1 to allocate next point. This can be used to place next skillpoint to 1lvl skill at 6th,12,.. level

some ideas:
Also if you choose you wanna be sniper.. first perk you can take is awarness... (dont solved what this skill can do.... showing life of enemy in numbers without using c3pO map h4ck5 or something...? ) after some exping as sniper... next after prereq awarness could be quickshot (maybe common with gunner) - oskill that allow shoot fast than others (but not absoluttely solved again - strafe or one arrow with increased vel and maxvel? )
better criticals, percent chance to make critical hit
farsight - attackbonus
common with thief - quickstep - faster moving ability
etc..

Pyro (or demolitionman)- need many reading on this site... maybe alchymist concept
bonus to throwing (potoins) ehm, grenades
placing mines
fire mastery
fire resist
fire absorb
maybe oskill that can be used with gun - grenadelauncher, mortar?

Thief
barter or busineesman - cheaper vendors
shadowdancer - fade state... maybe some skills lice Cos to blind enemy and stay hidden
quickstep

First thing I need is solving the mechanics. Misha if you want more write PM, I want to ask you about your jedi mod concepts

EDIT: dead link deleted
Last edited by mirecek on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”