Immersion

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.
Demon9ne
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Re: Immersion

Post by Demon9ne » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:05 am

David -

- I'm not sure what's going on with your data folder, but I'd take a second look at your command line parameters. If that doesn't work, I'd consider a fresh install.

- Belt rows (and potions) are nerfed (and less abundant) so you can't just drink 80 bajillion of them as you run around thwarting all damage. You have to think more this way and fall back when things get too ugly.

- I never gave everything a higher chance to dodge. Fallen are the only vanilla monsters I can recall have done this too. They're slippery little devils. (Literally!)

- To get a tattoo, you need to use the Harrogath War Paint reagent (read it for the recipe) and purchase the corresponding pledge skill. If you remove the tattoo you will instantly lose the bonuses from the pledge. So it mind as well be a 'locked' equipment slot.

- Registering takes 30 seconds. By having the file hosted there, I can update versions at will and engage in discussion in multiple threads. I plan to have stable versions mirrored here in the future (also depending on Onyx's schedule) as well.

- Your eyesight is the bane of my existence. Seriously.

DavidB111
Paladin

Post by DavidB111 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:28 am

Well, I fixed the problem though. :) Now I have to go and move the files back into the Patch_d2.
Also, Fallen Ones may have their dodge the same, but I swear Dark Lancers/etc keep dodging it.
It's impossible for me to constantly miss this much with 95% chance to hit. A 1/20 chance doesn't happen 7 times in a row. Without a little help.
I'm very lazy so it will be awhile before I test the newer versions. I keep getting distracted by other games.

Oh, and even Kato (on Zy-El things) and I have seen eye to eye before, so no reason to get extra pithy.
Also, "Your eyesight is the bane of my existence. Seriously."
Well, my signature says it best.
"You're a real pain, aren't you? I can't wait to get you down here."
Also, you should realize, that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The font was fine. Changing it into something scary for lack of a better term wasn't nice.
Then again, I could be wrong. I've mostly wrong.
Or it could be my Asperger's acting up again, which would be weird.

Oh, and belts + potions shouldn't be the breaker of a Mod, or you're doing the mod wrong. :)
Don't cripple the weak to inconvience the strong. :)

As for the War Paint, where do I find the ingreditents? Because I swear I'm nowhere close to finding it in Act 1.
Last edited by DavidB111 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am a Golden God!"

"You know, you're a real pain, I can't wait to get you down here."
"Um, well, with all due respect, I'm not a murdering warlord, I'm a member of the fifth estate!"
"Like I said, I can't wait to get you down here."
Lucifer to Nigel, on You are There, Season 6, Xena

Demon9ne
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Demon9ne » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 am

I appreciate your arguments, believe it or not. :) It's just that the majority of feedback + my own opinion > your opinion, so I'm agreeing to disagree.

The War Paint recipe is a fire potion (fulminating, exploding, or oil) + the type of chipped gem you require + a quill + the war paint itself.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 am

DavidB111";p="411386" wrote: Also, Fallen Ones may have their dodge the same, but I swear Dark Lancers/etc keep dodging it.
It's impossible for me to constantly miss this much with 95% chance to hit. A 1/20 chance doesn't happen 7 times in a row. Without a little help.
I'm very lazy so it will be awhile before I test the newer versions. I keep getting distracted by other games.
You have to factor in block as well
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

rickcarson
Paladin

Post by rickcarson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:25 pm

@Sing_In_Silence

I appreciate your enormous contribution to the Modding community, but please don't post quotes from my unfortunate involvement in Median. :x

=====

In unrelated news, Immersion seems really interesting.

I agree that it is definitely a twinkers paradise, and I agree that is not necessarily a bad thing. Of course, being a Mac user and conscientious BugY abstainer, I cannot partake in those fruits.

So I wonder what there is to keep me interested in Immersion long term. Normally this would be writing of whacky guides (especially with the added skills), but my idea of a good guide is radically different from the majority. The vast majority of guides assume that you have infinite resources (high end runewords and elite uniques etc.) and access to really quick levelling (e.g. leeching). Whereas I play (and prefer) starting from scratch without help.

That assumption of access to infinite resources if anything is more true in Immersion than in clod. Most of the limitations are removed - so it seems almost sacrilegious to assume that there are limitations at all.

But perhaps a guide is against the spirit of Immersion - after all with so many of the old limits taken off, why encourage people to put on blinders? If you add 60+ new skills, why have people encouraging others to use a limited subset of them?

========

Anyway, keep up the good work Demon9ne. :D

DavidB111
Paladin

Post by DavidB111 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:49 am

Call me crazy, but a spear person can't block at all. :)

So, non-sequitor.

Seriously though, it's not a blocking issue, I hope. It's like epic dodge or something...anyhow, I"ll start playing this mod again, right after I fix the font issue, because my opinion is > Demon. :)

Just kidding.
"I am a Golden God!"

"Um, well, with all due respect, I'm not a murdering warlord, I'm a member of the fifth estate!"

Squirrelloid

Post by Squirrelloid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:45 am

So, i've been trying this out - currently on Act II normal as a Druid (archery + a small investment in summons until i spring for enough energy for the Tornado/Hurricane) - and thought I'd make some comments on the mod.

The Good:
New graphics for charms are nice. Wish you'd replaced the 1x3 graphic as well.

New druid skills are interesting. I like the Toucan (but really, who wouldn't?). Am I correct in assuming the Toucan gives my merc/minions +25% mf, and me +25% mf, so my merc/minions total additional mf is +50% (because they get to count my +25%)? It would be nice if you'd include full level progressions for the new skills (and any basic skills you've changed) in the help files so I could actually see how worthwhile many of them are. Ie, something like the Arreat Summit presentation (in information content) would be really nice.

Haven't played with the ability to tweak items yet, but I like the idea of tweaking item abilities. I'm not sure if I just haven't seen a decent range of item improving drops yet, but the choices seem rather limited (and some of them seem pointless - calligraphy might get used in the level 1-10 range to fill a slot where nothing good has dropped yet, but I can't see a use for it after that).

The Blizzard programmer unique was entertaining.

The new gem socketing effects are awesome. I especially like procing amplify damage on attacks, even if it is only 3% of the time.

The Bad:
Keys not stacking. This is just tedious. Having to waste multiple inventory slots on keys does not increase the fun value at all. (And needing to use the cube to compress a mere 3 into one item isn't any improvement, as you can't use those keys to unlock chests without cubing them again, and it requires your cube is empty enough to compress or decompress on demand).

Energy pre-reqs for skills. Ok, so i'm playing a caster (ultimately), which means this doesn't bother me especially much right now. But why should a Barbarian ever invest in energy except for your artificially forcing him to make his worst possible stat investment? This seems to disproportionately favor casters (who are the only classes it even makes sense for). I'd suggest altering it so the stat prereqs are class-dependent, or possibly even skill dependent. So Barbarians might need strength instead of energy, and amazons might need dexterity. And the druid shapeshifting tree might require strength or vitality while the casting tree requires energy. I can't see playing anything but casters while energy is the universal skill currency.

The other negative effect that stat pre-reqs have on the game is it substantially rewards tweaking - far more than in normal d2. Just dump a bunch of stat pump items on a new character and you can suddenly pump whatever you want. This leads to degenerate play.

Gheed's scavenger hunts:
Many of the first 12 are utterly useless. Specifically, all the ones that turn 2 rare items into a 1x2 potion. Not only are the potion effects unexciting (there is no level at which anyone would be tremendously impressed with a 10% increase in a stat for a brief period of time), but the fact that its 2x1 means you can't put it on your belt. So a limited time item requires you to open up your inventory *mid combat* to quaff it. That the items are so depressingly useless is only made worse by there being no documentation on what they do, so people are likely going to waste gold and items completing the scavenger hunts only to immediately sell (at a substantial loss) the items. The only way to redeem these items would be to make them 1x1 and have a more substantial effect, and i'm not even convinced they'd be worth scavenging for then - but at least if they were available for sale people might actually buy them.

Similarly, forcing you to complete a scavenger hunt to acquire the Tomes of tp/id is, like the key change, a tedious addition to the game.

I'm hoping the scavenger hunts i've yet to complete aren't such a waste of time. At present I'd recommend stripping the 4 +10% stat potion hunts and the two tome hunts because they don't contribute anything to the game (and making all such items available for purchase).

The incomprehensible:
I found this lodestone. I don't know what it does. It doesn't go in any item slots, it doesn't fit in a socket, and it doesn't do anything in my inventory. And it has a defense and a power stat as well as a magic ability (a whopping +5% LR). And the item doesn't tell me how to use it. I am quite confused as to what I'm supposed to do with it. All I can figure out is that shopkeepers are offering me quite a bit of money (relative to other items) for it, which only confuses me more.

Runewords in the help files don't say what they do. This is... annoying. Why would anyone use a runeword that they don't know what it does - especially if it involves a rare rune?

Siberys

Post by Siberys » Tue May 26, 2009 2:45 am

Couple things, first off to the mod maker-

The sorceress has way too many fire skills. They're probably all balanced (haven't had the chance to try'em all) but it's just the number is unnecessary. Leaves Cold and Lightning left in the shadows.

The thumping sound whenever you get hurt is REALLY friggin annoying.

Otherwise, this is a pretty good mod, I like the added options you have for just about everything.

Next-
Energy pre-reqs for skills. Ok, so i'm playing a caster (ultimately), which means this doesn't bother me especially much right now. But why should a Barbarian ever invest in energy except for your artificially forcing him to make his worst possible stat investment? This seems to disproportionately favor casters (who are the only classes it even makes sense for). I'd suggest altering it so the stat prereqs are class-dependent, or possibly even skill dependent. So Barbarians might need strength instead of energy, and amazons might need dexterity. And the druid shapeshifting tree might require strength or vitality while the casting tree requires energy. I can't see playing anything but casters while energy is the universal skill currency.
I have to agree, needs some serious work. I would actually rather see Barbarians, Amazons, Assassins, and Paladins reverted to the standard level requirements simply because it nerfs their characters otherwise. If later on you implemented something like the above suggestion, sure that works but right now they are -severely- underpowered due to all skills being energy required.
Gheed's scavenger hunts:
Many of the first 12 are utterly useless. Specifically, all the ones that turn 2 rare items into a 1x2 potion. Not only are the potion effects unexciting (there is no level at which anyone would be tremendously impressed with a 10% increase in a stat for a brief period of time), but the fact that its 2x1 means you can't put it on your belt. So a limited time item requires you to open up your inventory *mid combat* to quaff it. That the items are so depressingly useless is only made worse by there being no documentation on what they do, so people are likely going to waste gold and items completing the scavenger hunts only to immediately sell (at a substantial loss) the items. The only way to redeem these items would be to make them 1x1 and have a more substantial effect, and i'm not even convinced they'd be worth scavenging for then - but at least if they were available for sale people might actually buy them.
I have to disagree on this one. The entirety of diablo 2 is tediousness most of the quests from act 1 through 3 are mainly chores (especially the Horadric Staff and Khalim's Will quests).

Around Act 4 and a couple of the act 5 quests, then it's no longer tedious, but otherwise the majority of the game is Go to location A, kill monster B and collect reward C.
The incomprehensible:
I found this lodestone. I don't know what it does. It doesn't go in any item slots, it doesn't fit in a socket, and it doesn't do anything in my inventory. And it has a defense and a power stat as well as a magic ability (a whopping +5% LR). And the item doesn't tell me how to use it. I am quite confused as to what I'm supposed to do with it. All I can figure out is that shopkeepers are offering me quite a bit of money (relative to other items) for it, which only confuses me more.
They go in weapon slots.
Runewords in the help files don't say what they do. This is... annoying. Why would anyone use a runeword that they don't know what it does - especially if it involves a rare rune?
Surprises? Makes the game more fun, basically it allows you to take a risk and actually have a standard chance to fail without involving monsters. I'm sorry but this statement is akin to "Why would I go fight diablo if I don't know what stats he has." That's the fun of the game, the whole game is based on chance. Gheed, Elzix and Alkor with their gambling, taking the risk of specializing as a fire sorceress when there are plenty of creatures immune to fire, there's the whole problem of wasting money to identify an item that only sells for 25 gold when the scroll cost 75. I mean the whole game is based around chance and risk and even occasionally blatant ignorance (the first time I ever fought diablo, I had no clue the seals would spawn a series of minions and a boss, and I got OWNED because of it). [/code]

Sidris

Post by Sidris » Tue May 26, 2009 4:24 am

and were to download?

Sing_in_silence

Post by Sing_in_silence » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:23 am

Squirrelloid";p="415085" wrote:The incomprehensible:
I found this lodestone. I don't know what it does.
It's a shield item.
It can't be used to block.
It can be upgraded. (Check the Cube recipes ;) )
(Some of the upgrades are quite nice.)

Squirrelloid";p="415085" wrote:Why would anyone use a runeword that they don't know what it does - especially if it involves a rare rune?
This is why the unsocket recipe exists ;)

Siberys";p="416981" wrote:The thumping sound whenever you get hurt is REALLY friggin annoying.
Heartbeat.
Personally, I love it.

Here's a question... How high is your bass(' volume)?
That's usually the trouble.

Sidris";p="416986" wrote:and were to download?
New forums and newest mod version are now at http://forum.d2immersion.com/index.php
Last edited by Sing_in_silence on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidB111
Paladin

Post by DavidB111 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Hey, I'd like to download and install the new version, but somehow my account was deleted! :(

Maybe I should post on your forum a lot? :)

Anyhow, my User Name is the same as my E-mail address. DavidB1@nc.rr.com.

Don't worry, I have too much spam to care about any more.
"I am a Golden God!"

Demon9ne
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Demon9ne » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:20 pm

DavidB111";p="418836" wrote:Hey, I'd like to download and install the new version, but somehow my account was deleted! :(

Maybe I should post on your forum a lot? :)

Anyhow, my User Name is the same as my E-mail address. DavidB1@nc.rr.com.

Don't worry, I have too much spam to care about any more.
You'll need to re-register. I had to delete the inactive (half-registered) users list some time ago due to an error and if I'm not mistaken that would have included you because I can't find your username elsewhere. I believe I posted about it in my Site-Related forum.
Squirrelloid";p="415085" wrote:The Bad:
Keys not stacking. This is just tedious. Having to waste multiple inventory slots on keys does not increase the fun value at all. (And needing to use the cube to compress a mere 3 into one item isn't any improvement, as you can't use those keys to unlock chests without cubing them again, and it requires your cube is empty enough to compress or decompress on demand).

Similarly, forcing you to complete a scavenger hunt to acquire the Tomes of tp/id is, like the key change, a tedious addition to the game.
I've always felt there should be less keys and less chests, with chests dropping better items. It's still a bit of a work in progress.

The TP/ID books are still on shelves in Act 1 in the Barracks/Jail. =)

Thanks for stopping by to comment.

DavidB111
Paladin

Post by DavidB111 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:06 pm

Meh, I hate the key design like crazy. I'm sorry.

I'll go reregister. I'm lazy, so it might be awhile. :)

Either remove locked chests completely, or remove the unstacking of keys. Or, I'll laugh at you. :)
Last edited by DavidB111 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am a Golden God!"

BizarreMonkey

Post by BizarreMonkey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Hey I have been looking at this and I REALLY wanna play it, only problem is, no matter how hard i try, the register page says...

"The confirmation code you entered was incorrect."

Even though I put in the right confirmation code at least 10 times, no dice.

I scoured the internet for a more direct download but nothing.

If someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong/direct me to a download that isn't impossible to get at. I'd appreciate it!

Demon9ne
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Demon9ne » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 pm

Apologies for that. I had some problems getting the reg page to work again after a site update. It should all be back to normal now.

BizarreMonkey

Post by BizarreMonkey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:34 am

Sweet, it works, now i can finally try it! I take it we just unzip the contents in to the diablo II folder and start the game or is there more to it? :)

FishGaming
United States of America

Post by FishGaming » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:17 am

coming back to D2 thanks to the resurracted coming out this year and wanted to try out some mods. Found this one but it was over 10 years ago for a post. I was wondering if anyone has any complete documentation on the new items, runewords, and cube recipes. One thing I can't stand is trying out a new mod with over 1000 new recipes and over 20 something new rune words and I don't know anything. The readme.htm file documentation is no longer up online. Does anyone have a copy or a google sheet with all this information collected?

andsimo
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Crusader
Christmas Island

Post by andsimo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:54 am

look here, mb you can find smth
http://ftp88693.hostfx.ru/Mods/Immersion%20mod/

FishGaming
United States of America

Post by FishGaming » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:04 am

Thank you! Are these your personally or was it from a stored database here on this website? If so please show me where I need to be looking. This is the second older mod that someone has been able to direct me to documentation for I couldn't find anywhere else. But once again I do appreciate this!

andsimo
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Crusader
Christmas Island

Post by andsimo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:11 am

FishGaming wrote:
> please show me where I need to be looking
If you followed the provided link, obviously you would be able to see that the documentation is located in the folder of the same name

FishGaming
United States of America

Post by FishGaming » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 am

Sorry I was busy that day and did overlook this. Thanks for the initial post though

Return to “The Sandbox”