Dark Planet

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.
Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Dark Planet

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:08 am

Here is a new project from Fish of Muu to while away those Diablo hours...

Dark Planet

Name: Dark Planet (working title)
Author: Fish of Muu
Version: 1.10 modified

Storyline
A little clunky. Three men defied the gods so the gods took the sun away from the planet. Now all the humans are mad that they're all being punished for what three people did and a war breaks out to fight over the sun.

Gameplay and items
All physical attacks reduce stamina just like how magical attacks reduce mana. The less stamina you have, the less physical damage you do. The less mana you have, the less magical damage you do.
All items have a new weight stat and strength requirements for items have been removed. Instead, the amount of weight you exceed past your strength stat reduces your walk/run speed by that much.
All weapons have been rebalanced for weight, speed, attack damage, etc.
All affixes have been reworked. The light of the game has been GREATLY reduced (extremely low visability) and players will have to actaully use strategy to be able to effectively battle the darkness. +LR items will actually be of value, and many skills can be used to circumvent the darkness.
Monster stats have been entirely redone and rebalanced with AI changes.
The mod will only have ONE difficulty with many changes to map layouts and the way quests play in the game.

Stats
Each character only gets 1 stat per level and start with higher stats.
Strength increases physical damage by 1% per point and increases the maximum weight allowance of your character by 1.
Dexterity increases your attack speed and casting speed by 1% per point.
Vitality increases your health and stamina by 5 per point.
Energy increases spell damage by 1% and increases your mana by 5 per point.

Skills
Each character has 9 mini trees and receives 5 skill points per level. All skills have a cap of 100 instead of 20 (max char level has been increased to 100 because of this). A basic tree, the celestial trees of Sun/Moon/Stars, the Life/Death trees, and the elemental trees of Fire/Ice/Lightning. The highest skill in one tree will reduce the cap of all skills in the sister trees by that amount (Example: If you put 30 points into a Sun skill, the maximum amount of points you can put into a Moon or Star skill is reduced down to 70). Skills tend to complement skills in sister trees more than those in their own trees.

Runes
There are 15 basic runes and a power rune. Any combination of two basic runes will create a runeword. Extra sockets can be filled with power runes to greatly enhance the runeword (Example: Fire+Protection will make a fire resist runeword. Fire+Protection+Power+Power+Power+Power will create a much more powerful fire resist runeword). Runewords can be put in any items. Socket caps are 6 for normal items, 4 for magic items, 3 for rare items, and 2 for set and unique items.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Fish of Muu
Champion of the Light

Re: Dark Planet

Post by Fish of Muu » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:24 am

Amazon: 5 hp per vitality, 5 mp per energy. 0.75 hp per level, 0.75 mp per level.
Assassin (Martial Artist): 5.5 hp per vitality, 4.5 mp per energy. 1 hp per level, 0.5 mp per level.
Barbarian: 6.5 hp per vitality, 3.5 mp per energy. 1.5 hp per level, 0 mp per level.
Druid: 4.5 hp per vitality, 5.5 mp per energy. 0.5 hp per level, 1 mp per level.
Necromancer: 4 hp per vitality, 6 mp per energy. 0.25 hp per level, 1.25 mp per level.
Paladin: 6 hp per vitality, 4 mp per energy. 1.25 hp per level, 0.25 mp per level.
Sorceress (Psychic): 3.5 hp per vitality, 6.5 mp per energy. 0 hp per level, 1.5 mp per level.

Mana is now solely used for a constant energy shield. This means that characters with high mana will take less physical damage to their bodies. The downside (and sometimes an upside) is that resistances are applied after the energy shield takes the damage. This means that if your body is immune to heat damage, your energy shield isn't. This means that high mana characters will want to concentrate on lighter armors to prevent themselves from being hit. Resistances are secondary to a high defense. High HP characters, on the other hand, will have a very hard time keeping their energy shield up. This means that they'll be taking a lot of physical damage to their bodies. Because of this, high HP characters should concentrate more on heavy armors that reduce damage. High resistances are a must.

Most skills have a cool down time. Once you use a skill, a ring appears around your feet which will deplete as the timer goes down. Once the timer is over, the ring will be fully depleted, and you will be able to use another skill. A few skills, though, don't have a cool down and may be used freely. This means that you'll get a few ringless skills to use while waiting for your casting ring to deplete. Each character starts with a ringed skill and a ringless skill. 'Attack' also counts as a ringless skill, which is now 'Power Strike' dealing 2x damage.
Amazon: Ringless: Tornado - Creates a cyclone of wind that does minimal damage (physical), but pushes enemies far back. Ringed: (Don't know. Another wind themed skill, probably).
Assassin: (Don't know yet.)
Barbarian: Ringless: Crash - Hit the enemy and send them flying back. Ringed: Forceful Yell - Cry out and push all nearby enemies back.
Druid: (Don't know yet.)
Necromancer: Ringless: Vengeful Spirit - Summons a slow moving spirit that hunts down your opponents. Ringed: Summon Skeleton Warrior - Summon a skeleton from a corpse to fight for you. Stats are based on a percentage of the summoner's stats.
Paladin: (Don't know yet.)
Sorceress: Ringless: Telekinesis - Use your mind to push back your enemies. Ringed: (Don't know)

Each weapon type also comes with a ringed and a ringless skill. This means that characters equipped with a weapon get two ringed and three ringless skills without spending points (possible 3/4 with the barbarian and the assassin). For the following weapon skills, remember that 'Attack' now does 2x damage.

Dagger: Ringless: Double Strike - Hit the same enemy twice, or two enemies once. Ringed: Flying Dagger - If Adhin ever comes back, I'll be able to get this skill from him. It's just raven with a dagger graphic.
Sword:
Crystal Sword: Ringless: Shatter - Deal extra damage, but damage the blade. Ringed: Crystal Drop - When you strike the enemy, a crystal is called from the sky to drop at the location of the attack.
Axe: Ringless: Frenzy - Charge up skill. Increase your run speed and your attack damage while this skill is in effect. An enemy must be hit with this skill every 10 seconds for it to continue. Ringed: (Don't know)
Mace:
Hammer:
Flail: Ringless: (Don't know) Ringed: Whirlwind - Spin the flail around at amazing speeds.
Javelin:
Throwing Knife: Ringless: Double Throw - Throw two knives at once. Ringed: Dance of Blades - Throw knives at every enemy in the area.
Throwing Axe:
Spear:
Polearm:
Scythe: Ringless: Sow - (Don't know) Ringed: Reap - (Don't know)
Wand:
Staff:
Scepter:
Bow: Ringless: Triple Shot - Fire 3 arrows rapidly at 3 targets (or less) dealing 50% damage each. Ringed: Strafe - Much like Triple Shot, but more arrows even more rapidly. Amount of arrows based on dexterity.
Crossbow: Ringless: Guided Bolt - Fire a crossbow bolt that chases enemies down. Ringed: Multiple Shot - Fire a spread of crossbow bolts at your enemies. Amount of arrows based on dexterity.
Katar:
Claw:
Orb:

(Yes, this does mean 42 weapon skills. This is a majority of what is taking the mod so long to make. Only 12/42 are complete so far -sigh-)
Last edited by Fish of Muu on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:57 am, edited 9 times in total.

IndianaMaggot
Paladin

Post by IndianaMaggot » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:05 am

this mod sounds incredible but do you really think you can implement all those feature that you think you can?
"Do You Serve a Purpose, or Purposely Serve?"
Working on Secret Project!
I am always willing to beta test for anyone just PM me.

SilverShadowHell
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SilverShadowHell » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:59 am

Some names for the Barbarian Lightning Resistant Passive:
Thor's Skin
Eel Skin
Lightning Awerness
Thunder United
Lightning Resistant (duh)
Sparckling Blood
Storm Soul
WAR!!!!!!!....... don't worry.. I'm working on it
http://iloveshaders.blogspot.com/

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:01 pm

Brother of Thunder
Voltaic Skin
Earthly Affinity
Wolframed
Previously Lightning striked :P
Essence of Storm
Warrior of the Storm
Storming Nature
Natural Cause's Death
Divine/Natural Protection
Manitu's Watching over me :P
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

brappy
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by brappy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:26 pm

Wow, you may want to cut back on those skills, or you'll be working on this for 5 years :P
Currently working on Tricet of Apocalypse (Latest patch: Beta 0.9) | Mod thread
A=B, A²=AB, A²-B²=AB-B², (A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B), A+B=B, A+A=A, 2A=A, 2=1

Fish of Muu
Champion of the Light

Post by Fish of Muu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:30 am

Oh, wow. Lots of posts.

[quote=IndianaMaggot";p="285146"]this mod sounds incredible but do you really think you can implement all those feature that you think you can?[/quote]

Actually, all of the item and stamina/mana effects on attacks have already been implimented (except for a couple of minor things like the single difficulty). Some of the enemies have been worked on, but not many. I've only really touched the very begining enemies (but I have plans for a lot more).

I'm not going to actually have 54 skills per character... that WOULD be insane. The dashes are all placeholders because I can't remember most of what I did so far. Still haven't been home all month. Once school starts, the list should fill out a bit more.

The monster changes are:
Eight different kinds of fallen (renamed as element+ling. Like fireling, iceling, moonling, etc.). Each one is immune to their own element (if they have one). Each one is going to have unique abilities. Lifelings are going to be invulnerable if their shaman is still alive and nearby. Deathlings are going to be really fast, really weak (poison damage), and die with one hit. Deathling shamans just keep casting new deathlings on top of you while casting corpse explosion like crazy. Shocklings aren't very intereting, but their shamans teleport around. Iceling shamans freeze you. Fireling shamans cast fireballs that explode and leave fire where they hit. Starlings (immune to magic (which has been renamed to 'celestial,' by the way)) do spectral hit and their shamans shoot holy bolts. Not sure what to do with Sun/Moon. Skeletons are immune to fire/ice/lit, but not super immune. Those big balrogs have 8 types too and they have some weird skills. Once school starts I can actually put some real work into it again. Just been enjoying my vacation here in Seattle with my friends. Sorry about the uninteresting skills.... I can't remember exactly which skills got cut from my original list so I don't want to type up anything that I'm not sure is going in at the moment.

I really appreciate everyone giving interest in my mod. Any questions or comments are always welcome.

IndianaMaggot
Paladin

Post by IndianaMaggot » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:10 am

Just wanting to know how progress is going havent heard anything in quite some time... I really like the idea of this mod but I can see how it could be frustrating and tiresome to create.
"Do You Serve a Purpose, or Purposely Serve?"
Working on Secret Project!
I am always willing to beta test for anyone just PM me.

Fish of Muu
Champion of the Light

Post by Fish of Muu » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:23 am

Hehehe. It's gone over quite an overhaul, which is why I haven't posted much. There are some major changes like:

- Mana is no longer used for skills.
- Instead of mana, skills work on a series of conflicting cool down times (complete with visual timers)
- Mana is now used as a constant energy shield. Mana is now just a rechargeable damage shield (Like Halo/Red Faction)
- Elements have been reworked and are now Heat, Time, Spirit and Piercing. Elemental mechanics have been slightly reworked (piercing damage bypasses your mana and deals damage directly to your HP)
- Each weapon type (knives, axes, swords, spears, javelins, claws, bows, crossbows, staves, wands, orbs, etc.) has two specific weapon skills attached to them. Every character gets this skill for free when a weapon of that type is equipped (meaning that barbarians can actually get 4 weapon skills instead of 2).

Naturally, this ruins most of the skills I've made. Also, I removed the conflictions between elements (way too difficult to work with the weapon skills). Stamina based attacks was more of a pain than anything, and I had no real way of balancing it (it would either be negligible, or too much of a burden. Either way is bad). Rune system is still in effect, but a lot of the runes had to be reworked.

Sooo... yes, I'm still working on it. It's going slowly because it's rather difficult to think up like 40 different weapon skills AND class specific skills. Even though most of the necromancers skills were ruined with the elemental changes, he's still the most complete (except for maybe the druid). Once I get all the weapon skills in and at least one character done, I'll release an alpha. Armor is extremely screwed up, but I don't expect anyone to play past the first couple acts.

deha_007
Paladin

Post by deha_007 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:36 pm

Looking forward to it.. sounds amazing! Lol.. nothing I can do.. Im kind of new... so yah.. keep working!

I'll be more then happy to be a tester also. :D

Fish of Muu
Champion of the Light

Post by Fish of Muu » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:27 pm

Well I see that people are still curious about what I'm doing, so I changed my progress report. Enjoy.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:11 am

If you need any help with those weapon skills still, I'd be glad to at least try.

Fish of Muu
Champion of the Light

Post by Fish of Muu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:04 am

Go ahead and try. I'm open to suggestions. Most are missing anyway.

I pretty much want to balance the ringless skills around the fact that 'Attack' now does 2x damage. Double Strike ends up doing 2x damage, Rapid Shot ends up doing 150% damage (but quickly and can hit 3 enemies), etc. Ringed skills don't matter much because I can make the rings last really long depending on how good the skill is.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:15 am

I've sent you a bit of ideas through PM, hopefully they're of some use. If not give me a more detailed description of exactly what you're looking for. I tried basing most of the skills off of pre-existing skills as I didn't know if you were wanting anything new. If you DO want anything new I point you here: viewtopic.php?t=40323

I'd like to think I have a creative mind, but unfortunately that only helps so much. If you need help with sets/runewords/uniques/WHATEVER, I'd probably do well with them.

Fish of Muu
Champion of the Light

Post by Fish of Muu » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:28 am

Hey, Nefarius reviewed my mod.... too bad he only read the initial post hehe.

Stamina/mana based damages have been removed, and so have the nine trees. I'm tempted to make class specific conflicting subtrees, though. Personally, I like that idea a lot better than synergies (A good example would be the only good example for synergies in cLoD: The sorc. The sorc could max out 3 different attacks and 2 masteries. Can deal with any immunity (especially back when lightning mastery didn't effect damage). Synergies made it so you needed to concentrate on one element to maximize damage. This reversely makes conflicting subtrees).

Edit: A small update. You can see how dark it is from this clip. This isn't supposed to be a cast skill, but a bottle skill... I can't seem to make it come out of the bottle right -shrug-

http://rapidshare.com/files/19593035/11.wmv.html
Last edited by Fish of Muu on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Sandbox”