Forgotten Realms Mod

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.
Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Forgotten Realms Mod

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:55 am

Hello, I am Modmaker. And I started a project called Final Age mod. I stopped working on it because it was badly planned out and wasn’t very interesting. But now I am working on a new project called “Forgotten Realms”.
Forgotten Realms mod

Project Title: Forgotten Realms
Modders: Modmaker
Version: D2 LoD 1.10

More info
I have been reading some of the Forgotten Realms books and realised it would be great to make a mod from these great books. All new items, monsters, some skills, NPC’s and maps will be based on the Forgotten Realms world.

Story
You are a mercenary looking for money; there has been an increase in evil and towns, cities and villages are hiring any mercenary [to help them rid them of this evil. You have been wandering endlessly looking for somewhere to stay the night. You see a small town up ahead and decide to go there to stay the night. As you walk in the town the inhabitants stare at you, as you look around the town a young woman stares at you and you are compelled to go over to her to hear what she has to say to you. This is where your story begins…

Monsters
My favourite part of modding – MONSTERS!!! Monsters will be changed to fit the part of Forgotten Realms world.
-Monsters animations will be changed to fit monsters from the FR world (Firebolgs, BloodRiders, North men, Orcs and more)
-New SuperUniques (Laric, Kazgoroth, Groth and more)
-Some monsters will have new skills
-New animations
-Monsters will have more health (x2 in Normal still deciding for NM+Hell)
-Better drops
-Hirelings animation’s will be changed (Act 1 will be the Sister Knights from the Darkwalker on Moonshae Trilogy)

Skills
Skills will be changed to add more fun into my mod and something new to see and enjoy!
-New skills for every class (if I can think of some lol)
-3 skill per level (I didn’t think that Diablo 2 offered enough skills per level and as there is a lot of good skills I decided to put it from 1 to 3)
-Skill levels raised to level 25
-Teleport will be usable in town
-No skill pre-resquites

Items
I really like to make uniques and new items so there will be loads of new items and there are a lot of great weapons and armors from Forgotten Realms so I’ll have a great choice.
-New uniques (famous and powerful weapons and armors from Forgotten Realms will be unique items)
-New sets
-Stat potions that will permanently increase your stats (have to sacrifice some goodies to get these)
-New inventory images
-Class rings (with uniques to go with them)
-More cube recipes
-Ladder uniques can now drop

Misc
Not much here but new things will come into mod so this might expand
-Increased inventory and stash size
-New menu screen

Maps
I am not really that great at mapping but I have done minor changes to maps in the past and I will learn more and create maps to fit in with Forgotten Realms.
-Maps from Diabolic Cartography will be added until I learn more map editing skills

News
I am looking for a person that knows a lot of stuff about Forgotten Realms you will be able to join the team but there actually won’t be any modding required from you. I am also looking for a website creator/manager. You will be able to choose what you want as long as it looks good (I will decide) but apart from that you can choose what u want.
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Re: Forgotten Realms Mod

Post by Modmaker » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:43 am

Thanks Myhrginoc again!

Well I am not going to make a mess with this mod.I have it well planned out this time. I am still looking for someone who know a lot about Forgotten Realms, not really needing the web manger/creator as much as the Forgotten Realms know all. Anyway I have got 1 screenshot.

Title Screen
Last edited by Modmaker on Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drakewind

Post by Drakewind » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:26 pm

Well the FR expert is here.

let me know what to start on first (items, monsters, etc.)

good to be part of the team
"Christianity gave Eros poison to drink: he did not die of it, but degenerated -- into a vice." Nietzsche

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Post by Modmaker » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:30 pm

Good to have Drakewind aboard :) . Right, 1st update

~Act 1 is now EastHaven and has snow and stuff (Converted most act 1 outdoor tiles to look like snow (Act 5 tiles) and it took a while) I am trying to convert the Easthaven map from Icewind Dale for Act 1 town but im not really good at that. Currently looking for a modder to do that

~Fallen have been changed to Goblins so have the Shamans to Goblin Shaman's

That all for this update, I know it's not much but coverting the tiles took time. This week i will try to get more work done. :)

Drakewind

Post by Drakewind » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:36 am

awesome.

email me when you need something

sorry i havent been around, college is hell.
"Christianity gave Eros poison to drink: he did not die of it, but degenerated -- into a vice." Nietzsche

Vheod

Post by Vheod » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:00 am

Hey, i currently have all ( 147 books total so far)the forgotten realms books up to 2002(short on funds recently), and i agree with you in that some of the FR books would make a great mod. I will be wathcing this mod with great interest.

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Post by Modmaker » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:51 pm

Time for another update.

Got some things done but I hoped to have got more done, it's GTA:SA. It's so damn addictive. Anyway here is what I have done:~

~Quill rats are now Artic Wolf's
~Corrputed Rogue's are now Orcs
~Goblin Captain replaces Corpsefire Screenshot
~Hobarth, Cleric of Bhaal replaces Blood Raven Screenshot

That's all for this week!

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:12 am

You said that you wanted to do skills based off Forgotten Realms. Iv got a suggestion that would take some graphical work but would make skills very easy to come up with.

Make the classes based off of famous heroes from the books. Like Drizzit and Elminster. Drizzit for instance could have a tree for sword techs, a tree for bow and minor magics and a tree for his pet Gwen. Swords would all be passives giving you increased attack speeds, adding elemental damage, added damage etc etc. Bow and minor magics would be some bow passives and a few minor spells like Melfs Acid Arrow. Gwens tree would work like the Necros tree. First skill is to summon her, there there are passives to up her damage, the amount of time you can summon her for, her hp etc etc etc.

Going this route would also let you add some cool uniques to the game like Drizzits famous ringmail and scimitars which could only be used by him.

Drakewind

Post by Drakewind » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:26 pm

Im not so keen on the idea, having classes represent characters from Toril seems sorta restricting.

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:17 pm

Thats cool, was just a suggestion.

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Post by Modmaker » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:40 pm

I was thinking more on the lines of choosing a character then choosing a sub class like a warrior, cleric assassin and stuff.

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:49 pm

Im guessing that that would be VERY hard to do. Probally easier just to pick a few you like like Ranger, Warrior, Cleric etc etc and make them the charcters.

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Post by Modmaker » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:51 pm

It's actually not that hard to do :) .

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:52 pm

If its not that hard cool run with it. The more classes the better!

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:18 pm

Do you think you could add an Archer class in? Iv always loved bow users yet they seem to be the most forgotten class. D2 has the amazon(thank God)but when you look at many other games there either isnt a pure archer or they arnt one of the better classes. Same with mods, everytime a mod adds a new class its always a new caster or warrior type not an Archer!

FRs D&D has a great Archer class that should be fairly easy to implement into D2.

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Post by Modmaker » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:24 pm

Yes i suppose I could add an archer class (I'm really trying to figure out sub classes). Just a reminder don't double post cause the admins don't like that. Just a warning. :)

MSI Magus
Paladin

Post by MSI Magus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:34 pm

Well Archer is a sub class so its perfectly possible. I cant rember the main but I know it is from reading a D&D ruleset but also because in Baldurs Gate 2 he was under kits.

Drakewind

Post by Drakewind » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:11 am

kits are obsolete in 3rd edition (D20). Id concentrate on Prestige Classes oppossed to sub-classes, your system in the game could remain the same, but I think using the 3rd edition rule set would be create a snse of familiarity with the majority of players. ( I myself grew up on 2nd edition, but I like 3rd edition quite a bit).

As far as archer goes, use the arcane archer prestige class. It will transfer over easily.

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Post by Modmaker » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:46 pm

I've decided not to do sub-classes as Drakewind suggested.If you have any ideas for characters and their skills please post here. I have alreadygot some ideas.

Sorc-Wizard
Assassin-Assassin but with crossbow skills (faster crossbows)
Amazon-Pure Archer class
Barbarian-?
Paladin?
Druid-Druid practicaly the same but summons elementals
Necromancer-Cleric of Bhaal

Please post some ideas!

Also instead of doing uniques i was thinking that every monster dropped blank uniques and you have to find gems or other material that would permenantly add stats to it like 1 dmg or 1 def. So every unique would be different.

Please post feed back!

Also some updates
~Changed dark rogue archers to orc archer's
~Changed normal dark rogue's to orcs

Finished with GTA:SA so will be able to mod more! :) [/u]

Update 20/11/04:

~Made new skill backgrounds removing pre-requsitie arrows
~All armors, shields and weapons now only drop in ther unique form
~Removed stats from uniques
~Added some upgrade gems-
Gem of Attack Screenshot
Gem of Health
Gem of Defence
Gem of Strength
Gem of Vitality
Gem of Energy
Gem of Dexterity
Gem of Resistance (Poison)
Gem of Resistance (Fire)

~Added new gem images for upgrade gems
~Added new cube recipes for upgrade gems
Last edited by Modmaker on Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:41 pm

A thread asking for FR ideas? How come I didn't notice this earlier? ;)

[quote=Modmaker";p="201265"]I've decided not to do sub-classes as Drakewind suggested.If you have any ideas for characters and their skills please post here. I have alreadygot some ideas.

Sorc-Wizard[/quote]
Wizard would work although the sorcerer class does still appear in AD&D. There's some amazing skill animations available from the IE games to suit most skills/spells.

[quote=Modmaker";p="201265"]Assassin-Assassin but with crossbow skills (faster crossbows)[/quote]
Or you could just generalize and have them as a thief or perhaps fighter thief to explain the combat skills. What were those ninjas from Dark Sun called again...ummm...dunno. In IWD2 the lizardmen had a small army of thiefs/assassins backing them up (yuan-ti purebloods I think) so it depends how much detail you're wanting. Heck you could just go with Shadow Thief for a well known assassin ;)

[quote=Modmaker";p="201265"]Amazon-Pure Archer class[/quote]
And maybe have them listed as a some variant of Elf as well considering they're generally the premiere archers ;)

[quote=Modmaker";p="201265"]Barbarian-?[/quote]
Not enough barbarian tribes throughout the Spine of the World for you? :D Maybe a generic fighter? Savage? Cleric/Paladin of Malar?

[quote=Modmaker";p="201265"]Paladin?[/quote]
Ummm...Cavalier? Cleric/Paladin of Helm? Cleric/Paladin of Tempus? Cleric/Paladin of Tyr?

[quote=Modmaker";p="201265"]Druid-Druid practicaly the same but summons elementals[/quote]
Or for a twist you could always have him as a Cleric/Paladin of Chauntea, Eldath or Mielikki. Even Malar would work well with the bestial side of things.

[quote=Modmaker";p="201265"]Necromancer-Cleric of Bhaal[/quote]
Ummmm...isn't Bhaal a dead Power? How about Cyric or Myrkul? I guess you could always have him as pure evil by having the necro as a thaumaturge and selling his soul to the Abyss ;)

Basically you can see where I'm coming from with the whole gods thing ;) One novelty could always be to have all 7 classes as clerics/paladins

Sorc - Cleric/Paladin of Azuth or Mystra
Assassin - Cleric/Paladin of Cyric or Mask
Amazon - Cleric/Paladin of Solonor (I forget the last name)
Barbarian - Cleric/Paladin of Malar or Tymora
Paladin - Cleric/Paladin of Helm, Tempus or Tyr
Druid - Cleric/Paladin of Chauntea, Eldath or Mielikki
Necromancer - Cleric of Bhaal, Cyric or Myrkul
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Post by Modmaker » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:29 pm

Thx for the ideas! :) I bought IWD2 about a week ago and it's great. So I might use some of the skill animations since there is some really good ones :D

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:34 pm

I've had IWD2 for quite a while but only just got around to finishing it a couple of weeks back :) It has some REALLY nice maps for making tiles out of of which I'll be putting up on Infinitum when I get around to it.

I'm no AD&D expert but I've got a decent chunk of source material and a fair memory for certain aspects so I don't mind helping with suggestions occasionally ;)
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Post by Modmaker » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:40 pm

Yeah I was wanting to get some IWD2 maps into my mod. But I am rubbish with maps so if any one can does this and wants to help please PM me!

chaturga

Post by chaturga » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:09 am

hey if your going to add stat potions why dont you try to make diffrent class potions like rare or magic coz that would be cool
why should i spend time with you when ive got
a comp to keep me company :)

girlfriend ... diablo 2 haha

Modmaker
Champion of the Light

Post by Modmaker » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:20 am

I have not decided about the stat potions but will when I decide to work on them. Well this week i was trying to get some IWD2 missile animations and extract them and change them to dcc. But it is quite hard and given up for the moment.

~Made Gem of Resistance (Cold)
~Hobarth's Essence (drops only one from Hobarth when you kill him)

Return to “The Sandbox”