Skill tree information

Information and updates for Middle Earth and all other mods created by Varaya and Khan. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Khan

McFrugal

Skill tree information

Post by McFrugal » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:18 pm

Since the main site doesn't work quite right anymore, does anyone have the skill information that was there? I'm rather in the dark as to what happens to each skill at high levels.

Also, what's the deal with chipped gems? They seem way, way too powerful for a beginning character. 15 damage is more than almost any weapon can do at that point, and you can socket three at the same time.

I have a couple of other gripes. First, why did Coldcrow kill me in one hit? I had around 2/3rds of my health left, and had around 90 max health, so she did over 50 damage in one shot, and that's only if the other arrow hit me at the same time.

Second, I can't even cast Multishot once without my +mana gear on. The mana cost seems to be way too high. I understand that the only point in raising it past slvl 1 is to lower the mana cost, but that seems to make it almost a complete waste of time at the level you first get it, and later on you can just leech a lot of it back if it's at a high level. I'd rather have it start out with 2 arrows and have a moderate mana cost (like, 5-7 mana), then increase a LOT with each point you put into it, until capping at 5 arrows for 29 mana, then the rest of the points reduce mana cost. Right now since my normal attack is so powerful, I'm just keeping MS for use against groups of at least 8 so that I get every arrow to hit something.

Oldih

Re: Skill tree information

Post by Oldih » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:21 pm

Since the main site doesn't work quite right anymore, does anyone have the skill information that was there? I'm rather in the dark as to what happens to each skill at high levels.
Unfortunately, I´m affraid that atleast 50% of the VK mod page is gone and possibly only way to test the skills are to use hero editor\something like that.
Also, what's the deal with chipped gems? They seem way, way too powerful for a beginning character. 15 damage is more than almost any weapon can do at that point, and you can socket three at the same time.
ME mod is quite hard to begin with, and actually you can create very godlike armour with some high runes but it is just one balance thing as the enemies are deadly and you really need to use some sort of tactics in battle, rather than just to keep the mouse button down.

If you do not see this, try playing ME mod with 3x friends, total 4x players. Then you will notice that you really need to bit think how to kill enemies, and you wish you had some elemental damage or extra damage to use.
I have a couple of other gripes. First, why did Coldcrow kill me in one hit? I had around 2/3rds of my health left, and had around 90 max health, so she did over 50 damage in one shot, and that's only if the other arrow hit me at the same time.
It is not recommended to go kill Coldcrow in low levels. The mod is made overall quite hard (but somewhat balanced, F.E. defence DOES matter), and resists are even more important than in vanilla. So it is not recommended to kill her unless you want to die many times. It took 1h to kill her myself when I first time played ME mod.
Second, I can't even cast Multishot once without my +mana gear on. The mana cost seems to be way too high. I understand that the only point in raising it past slvl 1 is to lower the mana cost, but that seems to make it almost a complete waste of time at the level you first get it, and later on you can just leech a lot of it back if it's at a high level. I'd rather have it start out with 2 arrows and have a moderate mana cost (like, 5-7 mana), then increase a LOT with each point you put into it, until capping at 5 arrows for 29 mana, then the rest of the points reduce mana cost. Right now since my normal attack is so powerful, I'm just keeping MS for use against groups of at least 8 so that I get every arrow to hit something.
I believe the multishot "issue" has it´s roots back to the first ME mod version ever released back in D2C when MS did not have this 3\4 damage penalty and so on.

Yes it is quite weird in some points that why they made it like that, but the way MS works in ME mod is overall fine. It is not useful low-lvl skill so unless you really aren´t planning to use it later on, don´t sink any points in it since you do NOT need prereguisites in the mod.

Also, MS lvl20 with some sort of pierce and fast bow which deals overall good damage, you can cause lots of damage with MS since you barely use any mana with it, you stay mobile all the time and you can handle groups of enemies with it.

But yes, it is kinda wierd in some points, but I believe it´s roots are long back in ME mod 1.0 for D2C´s days when MS was the usual skill of choice instead of Strafe.

Small addition:

Also, since multishot cost´s only one (1) mana point at lvl20, bow with decent damage and some sorf ot IAS, you can fire off screen- more than you can imagine, especially if you know where possibly enemies are (guided arrow to search F.E.), you can start spamming those arrows in that direction.
Last edited by Oldih on Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

McFrugal

Post by McFrugal » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:14 am

Okay, now the same thing happened with a random boss in the Forgotten Tower that had Spectral Hit. His poison shot wasn't very dangerous, and I got hit once with it. Then I ran into another arrow and bam, I'm dead.

If this is what V&K's idea of 'difficulty' is, maybe they should go play a real roguelike game. If you're properly equipped, nothing should ever do enough damage to kill you in one shot at half health, even bosses. Since I'm not even halfway through Act 1, there's just no reason for me to have 50% resistance to fire, cold, and lightning. It's simply unreasonable.

I'm not playing this mod anymore.

Blacksword

Post by Blacksword » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:29 am

Whats the point in playing a mod that is easy ??
If we wanted that we would play vanilla
Spend less time complaining and more time leveling and increasing your health and resistance....
I am not STUPID just havent figured how to sound smart YET

Msn Messenger>>blacksword101@hotmail.com

Elessar
Paladin

Post by Elessar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:31 am

Congratulations, you've piqued my interest.

I've taken several characters through the initial stages since the ME mod was first relased, and don't recall having as much trouble as you seem to be having. Since I know this mod hasn't been updated in a while, and I also know the difficultly of the beginning areas hasn't changed since I've been through them, I find that interesting. I would say you just got a bad combination of monster skills. It happens. I've never needed to be pushing 50% resists to make it out of Act 1 Eldar diff. Even in Valar diff, when you've got some very nice items, there are going to be some monsters you just won't want to fight(solo) because it's too dangerous. Which monsters these are will depend on your class. It's no different at low levels. Some bosses you're just going to want to avoid for your own good.

In the initial stages, I would suggest strongly that you take advantage of the gems and socketed items. That's when they're most useful, or you could say that's the only time they're useful, at least as adornment. Once you get to the higher areas in Eldar diff, they won't be quite so wonderful. You should also be clearing every area you go through, as opposed to blasting through straight to the next one.

I recall Khan saying that by the time you near the end of Act 1(think he drew the line at the Outer Cloister, but feel free to look it up for his exact words), you should at least be between 14 and 16. If you're nowhere near this, you might want to go back and level some more.

The monsters essentially use the same skills players have access to, so when Khan buffed those skills to make them actually useful, it made the monsters using those skills a bit more powerful as well.

Potions, both health and mana, aren't exactly hard to come by, being buyable in town, so having a skill drain half your mana isn't a very big deal, especially since gold practically flows, whether by actual gold drops or sellable items. You have a big stash, so don't leave an item just because it's not rare. You also have tomes that hold 100 scrolls.

As for skills, Eowyn's page used to have a list for each class telling what each skill is capable of at lvl 20. I can't seem to find it on her site anymore, but maybe if everyone asked nicely,.. :}

Btw, you're also going to be disappointed if you expect uniques and sets to be the end-all-be-all of itemization. Sure, there are some nice ones (some really nice ones), but good rares are much harder to find, and thus Khan has said the best rares will be better than most uniques and sets.

Take care, and good luck wherever life takes you next.
:samurai:
Elessar
Last edited by Elessar on Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have this to say,.. No enemy has yet taken the Hornburg."
- "Helm's Deep" The Two Towers

Oldih

Post by Oldih » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:03 am

Btw, you're also going to be disappointed if you expect uniques and sets to be the end-all-be-all of itemization. Sure, there are some nice ones (some really nice ones), but good rares are much harder to find, and thus Khan has said the best rares will be better than most uniques and sets.
Indeed. Also, you can get really some godlike armours if you just have HR´s (presuming you have had enough time to run Countess thousands of times and upgrade low runes so you have lots of HR´s) to use, like I made one for my current Dunadan, even though it takes a while before I can use it.

One trick to survive bit longer is to find 3sock armour and put it full of chipped rubys, you gain nice +45 life boost if I do not remember wrong. I have done this almost with every char I have had in ME mod.
Act 1, there's just no reason for me to have 50% resistance to fire, cold, and lightning. It's simply unreasonable.
I am not meaning you should have 50% resistances, just saying they are more important.

Against spectral hit monsters, you need to be extremely careful. Take this as slight realism feature: If you would be struck by a weapon which would be hot as hell and it would be electrically charged that is released upon a hit, I´m sure it would hurt you.

One feature I like in ME mod is that it brings it bit closer to "realism" upon your survivability. In vanilla, you can survive 95% of time even with sorc with low HP unless you tele in middle of Fanaticism enchanted Stygian Dolls. In ME mod, even a single archer can be deadly if you are not careful.
Last edited by Oldih on Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
A Wizard is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:57 am

So, any idea on how to reduce the damage on spectral hit?

A: you can't. It's hardcoded. Blame Blizzard.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Return to “V&K Mods”