About IWD2

Information and updates for Middle Earth and all other mods created by Varaya and Khan. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mods, please post them here.

Moderator: Khan

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

About IWD2

Post by Éowyn » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:51 pm

What is the funniest item you have found ?

I found such a funny ring you cannot wear but put into the belt.

Here is the story from it (only in german, because I havn't found my english dlg file)

Der magische Reifen sieht so aus, als würde er eigentlich zu einem Fass gehören. Vermutlich hat er einst auch ein Fass umspannt. Es gibt unzählige Geschichten über seine Herkunft, die wohl größtenteils reine Erfindung sind. Die gebräuchlichste Geschichte erzählt, dass der Reifen aus dem Gasthaus Elfenlied in Baldurs Tor stammt und dass er aus einer ärgerlichen Wette zweier Männer hervorging, zwischen dem ruhigen Hasardeur Dreisbach und dem aufbrausenden Fuhrmann Geithman. Geithman behauptete, dass die Magie sich niemals mit körperlicher Stärke und Entschlossenheit messen könnte. Dreisbach ärgerte das natürlich, und er widersprach. So entstand die Wette, dass derjenige der beiden der Sieger sein würde, der vom Sonnenauf- bis Sonnenuntergang mehr Fässer in ein Lagerhaus am Hafen befördern konnte.

Man sagt, Dreisbach hätte den Reifen in einer Nacht hergestellt, und er tauchte damit am nächsten Morgen im Lagerhaus auf. Er nahm den Reifen und wirbelte ihn am Boden umher und bei jeder Umdrehung tauchte ein Fass im Lagerhaus auf. Dreisbach drehte den Reifen über eine Stunde lang, und Hunderte Fässer wurden im Lagerhaus aufgestapelt, und zwar so hoch, dass sie einen Mann mehrfach überragten. Dreisbach war bald hinter all den Fässern verschwunden. Geithman konnte den Wettkampf gegen all die herbeigezauberten Fässer nicht gewinnen und wollte gerade widerwillig aufgeben, als Dreisbach plötzlich aufschrie. Man hörte ein klingendes Geräusch, als der Eisenreifen auf den Boden aufschlug. Als es Dreisbach und den Zuschauern endlich gelungen war, durch das Fässerlabyrinth zu der Stelle vorzustoßen, wo der Magier gewesen war, war von ihm keine Spur zu sehen. Nur der Reifen lag ganz unschuldig auf dem Boden.

Niemand wagte, es den Reifen zu berühren. Dreisbach wurde zum Sieger gekürt, doch alle Anwesenden waren sich einig, dass Tymora in Warheit Geithman gelächelt hatte. Das Lagerhaus wurde versperrt und die Männer gingen in das Gasthaus Elfenliedschänke, um von anderen Dingen zu sprechen.

Wo die Fässer herkommen, die der Reifen herbeizaubert, ist unbekannt. Der Anwender sollte den Reifen jedoch mit Bedacht einsetzen, oder er wird auch noch zum Opfer der fürchterlichen Rache der Fässer ...

EIGENSCHAFTEN:

Speziell: Der Reifen kann einmal täglich ein Fass herbeizaubern. Die Fässer enthalten auch häufig etwas Wertvolles.
Gewicht: 3 Pfd.

It can summon either a

Superkeg (Superfass) which contains valuable items or a
Grandaddy Killer Mimic (Großvater aller Killernachahmer) which does very heavy damage to you and takes nearly no damage from your attacks (I didn't manage to kill it yet)

That was my funniest item until today (;

Found my english dlg file (;
The story here in english is from this item (tried Yoda like speeching :mrgreen: )

This magical hoop looks like it belongs around a barrel, and chances are, it probably once was. There are numerous tales (most of them false) about the hoop's origins, but the most common tale says that the hoop was born in the Elfsong Tavern in Baldur's Gate, and that it was the result of an angry wager between two men, one, a quiet wild mage by the name of Dreisbach, and the other, a passionate stevedore by the name of Geithman. Geithman claimed that magic was no substitute for raw strength and determination, and when Dreisbach begged to differ, the bet was decided: whoever could load the most barrels into one of the port warehouses from dawn to dusk would be declared the winner.

According to the tale, Dreisbach fashioned the hoop in a single night, and when he arrived at the warehouse the next morning, he drew forth the hoop and spun it on the ground - with every spin, a barrel would suddenly appear in the warehouse. Dreisbach spun the hoop for an hour, until hundreds of barrels were stacked up in the warehouse at a height several lengths of a man, so much so that Dreisbach could no longer be seen behind the walls of barrels. Geithman could not compete with the summoned barrels, and he was about to concede the contest in disgust, when Dreisbach suddenly let out a cry, and there was a clang as the iron hoop clattered to the ground. When Geithman and the onlookers navigated the maze of barrels to the space where Dreisbach had been standing, there was no trace of the mage. Only the hoop remained, lying innocently on the floor.

None of those gathered to watch the outcome of the bet dared to touch the hoop. While Dreisbach was declared the winner, every man gathered there that day conceded that Tymora had smiled upon Geithman instead. The warehouse was quickly locked up, and the men quickly retreated to the Elfsong to talk of other things.

Where the barrels the hoop summons come from is unknown, but it is recommended that the user exercise caution in the summoning... or else the barrels will have their vengeance.

STATISTICS:

Special: Summons a keg once per day. The kegs frequently contain something of value.

Weight: 3 lb.
Last edited by Éowyn on Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May the force be with you, always!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Re: About IWD2

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:36 pm

Was it an actual Mimic or a Keg that is named a Mimic? If it is a keg, why don't you try using the Kegsplitter axe to kill it?
This is a portrait of what has happened and what my happen. Do you cling to the past or can you see through the pain? You feel the potential within, do you not? Will you cringe from what you know and want, what you can take as your own? Afterall, it is you who has brought us into the dream. Nothing is real... Yet...

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:54 pm

Lol is there a special axe to kill kegs ? Well I havn't seen it yet (I just crashed with Oswald's Air Ship) Did I miss it ?

I don't know what it is, it looks like a keg, can't move but has a very effective meleeweapon and is invulnerable to spells and ranged attacks...
Last edited by Éowyn on Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:32 am

There is a special axe for splitting kegs :)

I think it was called the KegSplitter, you probably missed it (you could buy it from a vendor in the beginning of the game probably). I think the keg had to save versus death or be slain instantly. Maybe there was no save, I can't be sure.

By the way, I got Lionheart since one of my friends in the US asked me to mail him some games, I didn't like the game a bit. The user interface is bad (I hadn't seen BlackIsle do such a bad user interface since Black and White and even that was better). I couldn't get any idea about this new system of magic they introduced. The only plus the game's got is that it is not based on a fantasy world but our world (as in the Earth :) ).
This is a portrait of what has happened and what my happen. Do you cling to the past or can you see through the pain? You feel the potential within, do you not? Will you cringe from what you know and want, what you can take as your own? Afterall, it is you who has brought us into the dream. Nothing is real... Yet...

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:37 am

Hmm... Dosn't matter I don't think the Mimic counts as Keg even when he looks like one. But yesterday I managed to kill him.
I think this is a bug, because when you equipp 2 bastard swords and you stand in the right angle you can attack him, but cannot attack you. You need very long, and when he is finially dead you don't get items like from the superkeg, you get loads of xp. Even Sherincal who I killed yesterday didn't gave that much xp ;)

BTW which level did you have when you reached Sherincal, and did you reach Lv 30 till the end of the game ?

About Lionheart
In some way I find the demo very hard if you don't start a fighter, and the interface, and all the other systems are kind of strange if you are used to the BG interface.
But that is not true
[quote=Jonaleth Irenicus";p="124187"]
The only plus the game's got is that it is not based on a fantasy world but our world (as in the Earth :) ).
[/quote]
I like fantasy worlds, sure they are not for everyone but I like them ;)
Last edited by Éowyn on Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:16 pm

Oh no no, I love fantasy worlds, the only books I read (or most of them) are Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance and Ravenloft novels.

What I was trying to say was, the game had a different approach on fantasy like Arcanum, only it took the idea a step forward by creating this alternate "world" where suddenly magic was born into our world. I thought that was a nice touch, but I would trade that for Plancescape anyday :)

About the keg: I wouldn't think that is a bug, since bastard swords are supposed to have a higher reach compared to long swords. What about two handed weapons? Did you try using them against the keg?

Sherincal was that dragon blooded witch in the frozen castle right? I can't remember exactly, but I can tell you that you do not reach the level cap in normal difficulty.

I think I started a fighter in Lionheart, it was a Demokin (or one of the tainted ones) that had fiendish claws or something like that. I mostly have unarmed/evasion and some spiritual magic.

So stupid that BlackIsle has still not managed a good unarmed animation. The unarmed attacks in Lionheart make you look like a mindless zombie swinging its own arm like a club at the very best.

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:10 pm

[quote=Jonaleth Irenicus";p="124269"]Oh no no, I love fantasy worlds, the only books I read (or most of them) are Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance and Ravenloft novels.

What I was trying to say was, the game had a different approach on fantasy like Arcanum, only it took the idea a step forward by creating this alternate "world" where suddenly magic was born into our world. I thought that was a nice touch, but I would trade that for Plancescape anyday :)[/quote]

Yes Fantasy Worlds are really nice, I like to read books of them too and there are so many. In some way Star-Wars is fantasy too and I like that very much too.
To bad that Planescape don't have a multiplayer mode. I'd like to play that in multiplayer

[quote=Jonaleth Irenicus";p="124269"]
About the keg: I wouldn't think that is a bug, since bastard swords are supposed to have a higher reach compared to long swords. What about two handed weapons? Did you try using them against the keg?

Sherincal was that dragon blooded witch in the frozen castle right? I can't remember exactly, but I can tell you that you do not reach the level cap in normal difficulty.[/quote]

Hmm no I only tried bastard swords becaus the char has the feat in them. But maybe I'm going to try it someday. Yes Sherincal is the halfdragon from the frozen castle (;
Try killing some "Granddaddy Killer Mimics" and you'll reach the level cap since the give more xp than a very heavy boss, but I think the should have been unkillable, the only problem is that nobody thought about this that twohanded weapons or even bastard swords have a longer range than the weapon they gave the mimic (;

[quote=Jonaleth Irenicus";p="124269"]
I think I started a fighter in Lionheart, it was a Demokin (or one of the tainted ones) that had fiendish claws or something like that. I mostly have unarmed/evasion and some spiritual magic.

So stupid that BlackIsle has still not managed a good unarmed animation. The unarmed attacks in Lionheart make you look like a mindless zombie swinging its own arm like a club at the very best.[/quote]
Lol I think in NWN the monks fighting style looks realy cool, but thats bioware and not blackisle hehe they do some things better and some things not as good...

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:26 am

Hello both of you!

About IWD2 : where do you find this ring/belt that summon keg?

About Lionheart :

I like this game, even with the bugs...

The interface is much like D2 (right-click, left-click) and the story is nice...

The game is pretty hard at times, but there is a lot of quest to do to help you...

The character should carefully planned to be effective, and unlike D2, there is few place for error in the character building...

If you play a pure mage, you have to go for protective, summon and offensive magic... You should maximise your int throu perk and traits and you should spend point in evasion too... You can even sacrifice your luck to make your character successfull... Some quest give you permanent characteristic boost early in the game...

the one I know are : +2 luck, +1 int, +1 end...

regards,

jpr
Not enough mana!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:28 am

I still believe Black Isle could have done a much better job with the given theme. The game play is... sluggish, or something like that. I don't know why, the game just doesn't play as nice as I would like it to be.

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:58 am

Hmm I found the ring near the Goblin Fortress, but I'm using the random item mod, maybe I found it there due to this.

Yesterday I tried fighting Highpriestress Oria, but when I defeated her first she came back as an ethereal ghost and I don't know really how to kill her. Well it was late and I quit after this first fight, today I have to search somewhere there must be a hint how to defeat her. Maybe behind this closed door. But don't tell me the solution :!:

Hmm I know now what you meant with the challenge I think, but I didn't try it really yesterday (just fought one battle), maybe today. But did you mean this challenge game with the Icegolem in the far Southeast of the second level of the Icecathedral ?
Last edited by Éowyn on Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rodrigj

Post by rodrigj » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:31 pm

:lol:

Sluggish : put some more point in your agility...

Play fine for me...

;)

About the ring, that's the mod, for sure...

About the Oria : all I can say without too much spoiling, the solution is given somewhere in the same map...

:P

Good luck...

:)

regards,

jpr
Not enough mana!

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:11 pm

Yes, I mean the battle arena with that Ice Golem in it (I forgot its name).

Every time you complete a rank in a level, you get some small treasure, and when you have completed all the ranks in a level, you have defeated the level, and you are given a nice item (some of the items are really cool).

How many squares you captured determines what rank you complete by the way.

X00
X00
X00
would be rank 1, whereas

XX0
X00
X00
would be rank 2, and so on.

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:04 pm

Hmm well as you said, I will come back later and try it (;

I found the solution and I'm already faaaar away from the icetemple on the trail of some inconsiderate thiefs ;) They stole some thing very valuable from a poor dead babarian king, and know he can't sleep in his grave anymore :-|

I already managed to remove this kid-stealing witch from the world :cool:

But the forest there is really some kind confusing ;) Because there are so many areas that look the same. I put one potion there and 2 potions there etc on the ground to distinguish between them. Then I draw a map of the forest (; And know the forest has grown even larger :( Well lets see if I find my way through ;)

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:01 pm

Hmmm. Don't try to map out the forest as in the usual "looking from above" kind of map. Instead, try to see which road leads to a different area on a particular area. So do not put potions in every new area you find, or every new direction you take, but put different items in new areas you find. Then note which directions you took on particular areas and try to note down which directions took you to new ones. So you could do "OK going south from the area that has the arrow leads me to the area that has the potions".

It is difficult to explain, and probably easier done than said :)

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:58 pm

I know what you mean and I've done it that way.

----

Hmm I just tried to make such a map with an office program but didn't manage to attach the arrows to certain points of the fields...
I think I remeber that I've done it once, but now I don't remember how I did it....

----

Well lets see if I manage the forest today (;
Last edited by Éowyn on Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:02 pm

Haha !
I found it out and made a Powerpoint-Map from the forest (Mostly in german, but I tried to put in the english names too)

Well it only reaches till the Dryad because I didn't walk further until know ;)

Forest Map
Last edited by Éowyn on Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:51 pm

Hmmm I think you have to reach two more places like the place you meet the Dryad :)

If only the developers hadn't been lazy and made a specific map for specific areas (so you wouldn't have two different areas with the same graphics).

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:18 pm

Hmm yes, you have to finde the "Trinkhorn" for the ghost and you have to find out the truth about the dead of a hunter.

But the forest map is huge and I don't really know if I complete my powerpoint map *g*

Now I am near such big stones which you can role around but there I saved I do this puzzle today evening when I'm home from work perhaps (;

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:00 pm

[quote=Éowyn";p="124823"]
Now I am near such big stones which you can role around but there I saved I do this puzzle today evening when I'm home from work perhaps (;
[/quote]

Hmm stones puzzle? I don't remember that... You sure its a puzzle (and not click on the stones to grab whats inside)?

What do you do (I mean, in work)?

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:50 am

You have to role stones to go through I think...

Boff I was tooooooo tired yesterday after work. Maybe today.
I work in a cinema (I put in the films) but wednesday is the hardest day because its the end of a cinmea weak. You have to take apart all the films that ship to other cinemas, you hava to hang up new posters, you have to make the new programm, mix the advertising films and trailers at the beginning of a film new etc etc etc 5 times more work than normal :-|
But hang up new posters is fun :mrgreen:

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:13 pm

That sounds like fun. Wednesdays you are busy, but at least it seems like you enjoy the work you do :)

Not to say that you probably see the most recent movies tens of times :bravo:

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:34 pm

[quote=Jonaleth Irenicus";p="125027"]
Not to say that you probably see the most recent movies tens of times :bravo:[/quote]

And for free :mrgreen:

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:28 am

What I like also about this job (: It is in the evening and when I have school I can do it too. And it is not that often (once or twice a week) so that I can also do my homework and learn for school.

Yesterday I reached the caverns with those dwarvens, and after fighting those river monsters I rested in their outpost ;) But those jellies were a pain *g* splitting splitting splitting, you killed 10 with a delayed fireball and from the rest 12 new where there... Long fight *g* but with my last middle damage firespell I killed all the rest :mrgreen:
Last edited by Éowyn on Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonaleth Irenicus
Champion of the Light

Post by Jonaleth Irenicus » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:31 pm

Are you in university? I have no idea how old you are, so I have to guess :)

Oh, the jellies with a party are nothing, you just have to watch your fire spells. Imagine my pain when I was soloing through the game (with a Paladin/Fighter of Helm) and I was surrounded by them.

I can honestly say I left my character to handle the situation himself and went to fix myself something to eat :)

Éowyn
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Éowyn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:50 pm

No I'm in school *g* maybe someday in university

[quote=Jonaleth Irenicus";p="125155"]
Oh, the jellies with a party are nothing, you just have to watch your fire spells. Imagine my pain when I was soloing through the game (with a Paladin/Fighter of Helm) and I was surrounded by them.

I can honestly say I left my character to handle the situation himself and went to fix myself something to eat :)
[/quote]

Since I play Heart of Fury mode, they do really heavy damage and you cannot let your char alone fighting them hehe they will all die very soon ;)

Return to “V&K Mods”