*]The Copper Coronet[* (BGmod OT)

Information and discussion for the Baldur's Gate Mod.

No votes

Total votes: 0

DarqPhoenix
Champion of the Light

*]The Copper Coronet[* (BGmod OT)

Post by DarqPhoenix » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:36 am

hahaha = 3 words hehe... i just read the tos for the first time btw lol, whats up with not posting short posts? makes no sense to me... if i said something funny and nobody replied with "lol" i'd feel sad :cry:

(enjoy the new OT thread :mrgreen: , this thread at one point was about the BG mod, i forgot what it was before tho hehe, anyway, zac replied to something funny with "hahaha" and ric told him how we weren't supposed to use one word posts like that, then i replied with this msg ^ and the topic completely went crazy and the name has changed 3 times allready, and the earlier posts were deleted... just a little history hehe)
Last edited by DarqPhoenix on Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From the ashes of death, rises the phoenix.

RicFaith
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by RicFaith » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:30 am

[ot] seriously if it were funny, lol is just abt the lousiest thing to say IMHO anyway. I find lol-ling to be rather lame.. especially if used in speech. why? imagine someone in real life says a joke and all everyone else can say is "LOL"???! I settle for haha or other terms of praise and encouragement, not some 3 letter acronym made by a IRC generation that is too lazy to say "haha" or "that was hilarious". Yay, lol. ick. amen. [/ot]

DarqPhoenix
Champion of the Light

Post by DarqPhoenix » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:43 pm

lol = lough out loud, and it is the web standered for loughing... when you see it you are supposed to think that, that person is loughing out loud... hehehe or hahaha sounds more like a chuckle to me then lol, or roflmao (if somebody said "hahaha" to a joke in rl, would they not sound sarcastic tho?)... maybe its just something ppl are partial to *shrugs*, personally, when i see it i don't see "lol", i see laughing.. tho i have been seeing and using it for many years now

DarqPhoenix
Champion of the Light

Post by DarqPhoenix » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:47 pm

i edited the topic title so our posts are no longer offtopic :mrgreen: tho the thread is now a bit offtopic... anyway for somereason it wouldn't let me type "lol" in the topic name

Stormgard

Post by Stormgard » Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:01 pm

I think that some of those language shorcuts are usefull when chating because sometimes the conversation is going fast and some people take so much time to write that having a short way to express themselves help the flow. But posting in boards is different. You can take your time to write and check what you have writen. So I don't think that those shorcuts are appropriate here.

EonWarped

Post by EonWarped » Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:50 pm

Do you people honestly laugh when you say lol?

I don't, but I know what it means. Or if it's funny but not funny enough to be laughed about hehe. or do I use it when it's amusing... oh well either way.

The other thing is it might REALLY be |o|, the absolute value of o

and it doesn't mean anything becaues o isn't assigned a value yet. Must be evil... evilly instilled in internet lingo.

DarqPhoenix
Champion of the Light

Post by DarqPhoenix » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:31 pm

i play alot of mmog's, so i am used to using tons of shortcuts while typing, i actually started using those shortcuts while writtng too hehe, i got an F on a essay in english once for using "b4, cuz, sum1" and other terms like that, i paid more attention to what i was writing after that ;)

lol is used by nearly everyone i know online, i gess how ppl type depends on what communities they "grew up" in, my first active online "thing" was a mmorts i started playing a few years ago (Mankind if anyone cares hehe), i needed to type fast yet clearly in that game often, and thats where i developed my typing style, which i don't use here because speed typing isn't needed... anyway, lol is the clearest and most effective way to let somebody know something was funny imo ( <- "imo" is another short cut very commonly used, ric himself has used "imho", there fore stating lol is dumb is kinda contradicting himself :mrgreen: ), and its not meant to be read as "lough out loud" or "lol", its like using *grin* you don't "read" it, you notice it, in rl if somebody says something funny they don't go "haha" they lough, and it is imposible to mimick loughing in writing/typing as far as i know, some ppls loughter may sound like "hahaha" but not all, therefore using to "lol" to represent that you are physically laughing is the best thing to do

sorry if that is scrambled up a bit, i think as i type, so if i go on for a bit i can confuse myself hehe (and probally every one else)

DarqPhoenix
Champion of the Light

Post by DarqPhoenix » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:40 pm

this topic had a point at one time btw, i don't remember what it was :mrgreen: but i think the rest was deleted 8-O so don't blame me for this ;)

RicFaith
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by RicFaith » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:59 pm

before we continue, we set the ground rules. this is a purely intellectual debate (if that is possible) and based on each and every individual's personality and preference. So no one is right or wrong, and the first one to say so will get a shelling from me :)

--

ok back to topic at hand. I said that I find 'lol' insincere. Not that it's wrong to use shorthand. I've spent enough of my childhood on IRC to see much more appaling English deviance. Let's say LOL still makes sense.

My pt is that I find LOL-ing like a way to say that you agree it's funny but you don't really laugh. I know many (perhaps you do) people don't laugh when they lol, they're just stoning right there typing lol... of course if your rofl-ing or roflmao-ing the benefit of the doubt can be considered... and you don't see people say "ROFL" in real life...

My prejudice also stems party from my sister who goes "LOL" (literally) when she thinks something is funny. Needless to say I think that's rather inane. What happened to a chuckle or a (proper) laugh. We replaced normal joyous response with a deadpan voice and a three letter non-English word??!

:) you have permission to rofl here, but that's exactly why I think a mere lol doesn't convey the true extent of your happiness... There was a comic pic in the newspaper two days ago, entitled CyberCafe Stand-Up Comedy.

It had one guy up on a stage, obviously telling jokes, and a silent audience holding up placards with "LOL" or ":-)", yet all of them were stoned and not laughing at all. This is highly depictive of what I envision LOL-ling to be...

MrSpecs

Post by MrSpecs » Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:03 am

hehehe rick for being on a computer so much (I know you are, cause you are making this mod), you really seem messed up over this lol deal. I understand what you are saying and stuff...but i really do not see much wrong here. I have never seen a person say LOL or anything like that, no one. I personally try to hey "hahaha" or "heh" or other thigs depending on how i feel, but if someone wants to say lol i think its their choice. Bah... I better stop talking about stuff when I'm not even sure where the origional debate started :D

:arrow: hey are you really serious about your sister saying LOL? i think thats really funny. hehehe does she say lol as one syllable or as three letters :?: I should start saying that to my sister just to bug her
Everyone in the band cant stant me, just cause im a _hip_ _hopper_, and kinda by accident, im also...um..dumb??

-reese roper
(let me konw if you get it!)

RicFaith
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by RicFaith » Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:44 am

literally one word "lol" like loll you know.. sigh anyhow the discussion started when I pointed out that the TOS states that short posts aren't encouraged (esp if admin or other moderators come in and see constant short posts, they may get the misconception that you're just trying to up your post count)

Now I don't want any of you guys to get on the wrong side of the TOS of course, so I give friendly warnings until the point where it's nigh unforgivable :)

Then DarqPhoenix said that he liked ppl to respond a joke with a LOL. and I put my case forward that I didn't like "LOL", and much preferred a hearty laugh.. :)

Cheers all!

SubSanity
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SubSanity » Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:48 am

Image Image Image

It's funny how this thing blew up to this proportions. Chill out folks. We're still a caring and loving bunch. :twisted: Image Ric just doesn't want the other moderators to come after you for spam/short phrases. You'll all under our protection while still considered a BGmod regular.

deathfile
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by deathfile » Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:00 am

i always thought 'lol' stood for 'lots of laughs' not 'laugh out loud'. because obviously, if you are laughing, its out loud. when would you ever laugh silently? if you did, no one would know you were laughing in real life, and shouldn't here either.

:D

But anyways, ive got better. a few girls in my school constantly respond with 'JK's to each other. its like (and i will type in perfect english exactly as they say it):

Girl 1: Hey, Girl 2!
Girl 2: Hey!
G 1: I went to the mall yesterday!
G2: Really? Me too!
G2: JK!
G1: LOL

they pronounce the JK as Jay Kay, and the LOL as El Oh El. Sad, sad world.

Eisead
Champion of the Light

Post by Eisead » Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:39 am

Heres my thoughs on LOL:

LOL is more of a chating thing for when you don't have time to type "funny."

I also think that LOL is actully |o|
Before emoticons evevolted into what they are to day, I think that |o| was ment to simulate the way ones mouth looks like when laughing. But being lazy humans we used L O L instead of | o |

People should really take more time to spell check and grammer check there posts. Take me for example. I'm sure your having trouble reading this right now. And take a look at past posts of mine and you'll get the idea.

I also belive that when you starting using abbrevations and chat-lingo in your everyday speech or everyday writing, your either A) are lazy or B) you need to cut back on ICQ a little :mrgreen:

- {This post is ment to be in a postive, neutrul manner, and if it sounds saracstic, sorry} --

DarqPhoenix
Champion of the Light

Post by DarqPhoenix » Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:44 am

you have a very wierd shaped mouth if it looks like |o| 8-O :mrgreen:

and yes, everyone who knows me, knows i am one of the laziest ppl, seriously... sometimes i get a burst of energy and an idea, then it fizzles off half way, but i usually just try and make short cuts thru life, and in my typing... speaking of lazy and not finishing things, my mech mod wont happen heh :-| , no anims, and i'm too lazy to make any... i still may release a mod at some point tho, possibly

edit: oh, and every thing you said was funny (does that not sound sarcastic to you, that is why i don't use "funny", except for when i'm being sarcastic)(not insulting your humor btw, just proving a point with it :mrgreen: )

RicFaith
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by RicFaith » Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:33 am

deathfile" wrote:But anyways, ive got better. a few girls in my school constantly respond with 'JK's to each other. its like (and i will type in perfect english exactly as they say it):

Girl 1: Hey, Girl 2!
Girl 2: Hey!
G 1: I went to the mall yesterday!
G2: Really? Me too!
G2: JK!
G1: LOL

they pronounce the JK as Jay Kay, and the LOL as El Oh El. Sad, sad world.
eek. sometimes i find the short form more tiring than the 'proper one'.. try using "Jay Kay" and "kiddin'" and you'll see why I prefer the latter. Or L-O-L instead of haha :)

as long as no one goes r-oaf-lame-ow (roflmao) I think we're quite safe.. now that one which deserves to be in the Hall of Lame.

SubSanity
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SubSanity » Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:34 am

WAHAHAHA I roffles a lot when I chat ;)

zac503
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by zac503 » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:10 pm

1'77 b3t y0u use l337 sp34k t00?
=0

SubSanity
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SubSanity » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:21 pm

zac503" wrote:1'77 b3t y0u use l337 sp34k t00?
'/0[_] ][)0 ]\[07 4773]v[7 70 |]v[|7473 7]-[3 1337 ]v[4573|25 \\']-[|13 0]\[ 7]-[15 |304|2][)

Code: Select all

You do not attempt to imitate the 1337 masters while on this board

This will be the last post in 1337-speak I expect to see.. next time I'll either "translate" your text via my moderator edit power or just snip everything off..

zac503
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by zac503 » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:26 pm

heh im not even going to attempt reading that.
=0

SubSanity
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SubSanity » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:31 pm

Yes, if you pretend to be 1337, I'll show you what I can do.. so keep it off this board...

If you wanna PM me in 1337, no problem... just keep it off this board..

Yup, keep it off this board..

zac503
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by zac503 » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:45 pm

will do

*head hurts from subby's speak*
=0

MrSpecs

Post by MrSpecs » Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:43 pm

hahaha you guys talk about 1337 or whatever, i dont even know what it is! Is it something i missed that started before I joined on the old board...or something from another borad..or just something weird a d2 fanatic came up with? help me im so lost :cry:
Everyone in the band cant stant me, just cause im a _hip_ _hopper_, and kinda by accident, im also...um..dumb??

-reese roper
(let me konw if you get it!)

SubSanity
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SubSanity » Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:12 pm

MrSpecs" wrote:hahaha you guys talk about 1337 or whatever, i dont even know what it is! Is it something i missed that started before I joined on the old board...or something from another borad..or just something weird a d2 fanatic came up with? help me im so lost :cry:
You don't wanna know..

Away

Post by Away » Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:26 pm

It's an irritating internet "languish" when you write with numbers and stuff, it's so annoying....
Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

Return to “Baldur's Gate Mod”